Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Reader count!  Do you read TLCM?  If so, pick your favorite character below!

Misty Kolnazom, the Greatest Cheesemaker Ever!
Reg Pashmad the Recruit
Gruzzlus Holt the Captain
Plumpy the Plump Helmet Man
Kulet Lokunnomel the Nun
Enir Twigappears the Overseer
Darkerdaffodil the Elf
Maynard the Mule
Other
Iron Owl the Iron Knight

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 348

Author Topic: The Littlest Cheesemaker - Updated 12/07/2022  (Read 1780712 times)

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
Re: The Littlest Cheesemaker (Illustrated Interactive Story) Update 12/14
« Reply #2310 on: December 15, 2014, 04:01:09 am »

Once she pulls herself together, perhaps offering a prayer to Urist and Armok that the dead elves might be reforged and reborn in a higher form -- not as dwarves yet, mind, that's too big a leap, but perhaps as snails, donkeys, or humans -- Misty's going to need to get through whatever immigration controls they have here at Shielddawn.

I suppose there're three scenarios to consider: does this fortress use unskilled migrants as mass unskilled (but generally safe) labor, as military recruits, or for dangerous jobs like working in the caverns & "testing" the trash compactor? If they go into the military, are they ablative shields or do they undergo an actual training program?

If the fortress isn't assigning squad numbers out of sequence to confuse the elven menace, then the existence and equipment of HERT Squad 3 gives me hope that Shielddawn has an efficient military with a good training program. If we find that's the case, getting drafted as an unskilled migrant might be Misty's best bet, something like a dwarven GI Bill (since it's valuable for soldiers to also have a civilian profession). What does a legendary axedwarf do on her downtime? Whatever she wants!

On the other hand, if Shielddawn is a more typical fortress, I'd say Misty should be mostly honest about her skill level but claim interest in a desirable moodable skill / material / object combination. Engraving's good, or she could talk about how her father's a legendary armorsmith and wanted her to be an armorsmith too, but she never wanted to be an armorsmith. She wanted to be... a weaponsmith! Leaping from forge to forge, her best hammer in her hand, as she strides down the broad craft halls! Oh, and she really likes cheese, too.

... after all this paranoia and deception, Misty's going to lie and get shunted into some boring or dangerous job only to find out that Shielddawn is attempting to construct the world's largest underground dairy operation, isn't she? A dairy industry is a large &inefficient process by which they produce a product (cheese) that's less valuable than the result of an easy, compact process (farm plots + prepared meals), but that's the dwarven way: Dwarves undertake megaprojects like a giant glass tower, a magma-spewing death machine or a cheese-based economy not because they are easy but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of their energies and skills, because that challenge is one that they are willing to accept, one they are unwilling to postpone, and one that they intend to die horribly when it all falls down around their heads win.

Oh, and Plumpy: Jubilate at the fate of the insolent donkey who tried to eat you! Then do your best to not look delicious.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:19:58 am by fourpotatoes »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: December 15, 2014, 04:16:23 am »

Once she pulls herself together, perhaps offering a prayer to Urist and Armok that the dead elves might be reforged and reborn in a higher form -- not as dwarves yet, mind, that's too big a leap, but perhaps as snails, donkeys, or humans -- Misty's going to need to get through whatever immigration controls they have here at Shielddawn.

I suppose there're three scenarios to consider: does this fortress use unskilled migrants as mass unskilled (but generally safe) labor, as military recruits, or for dangerous jobs like working in the caverns & "testing" the trash compactor? If they go into the military, are they ablative shields or do they undergo an actual training program?

If the fortress isn't assigning squad numbers out of sequence to confuse the elven menace, then the existence and equipment of HERT Squad 3 gives me hope that Shielddawn has an efficient military with a good training program. If we find that's the case, getting drafted as an unskilled migrant might be Misty's best bet, something like a dwarven GI Bill (since it's valuable for soldiers to also have a civilian profession). What does a legendary axedwarf do on her downtime? Whatever she wants!

On the other hand, if Shielddawn is a more typical fortress, I'd say Misty should be mostly honest about her skill level but claim interest in a desirable moodable skill / material / object combination. Engraving's good, or she could talk about how her father's a legendary armorsmith and wanted her to be an armorsmith too, but she never wanted to be an armorsmith. She wanted to be... a weaponsmith! Leaping from forge to forge, her best hammer in her hand, as she strides down the broad craft halls! Oh, and she really likes cheese, too.

... after all this paranoia and deception, Misty's going to lie and get shunted into some boring or dangerous job only to find out that Shielddawn is attempting to construct the world's largest underground dairy operation, isn't she?

Oh, and Plumpy: Jubilate at the fate of the insolent donkey who tried to eat you! Then do your best to not look delicious.
+1 (I assume my suggestions would be applied to this as well.)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: December 15, 2014, 04:19:37 am »

Take the hand of the iron golem Datan Ritas

What is the nun drawing in the wall ? I get it that she has a blood fetish (she IS one of Armok's chosen after all), but it looks like... nothing.

Anyways, activate Brewing, Engraving, Milking and Cheesemaking. At least she won't be completely useless to the fort, and maybe she'll make cheese.

About the elf... have a regretful look at him and claim his stuff in true dwarven fashion. These -rope reed socks-.

Then go about your life.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: December 15, 2014, 04:21:33 am »

About the elf... have a regretful look at him and claim his stuff in true dwarven fashion. These -rope reed socks-.

+1

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: December 15, 2014, 04:23:13 am »

+1
+1

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: December 15, 2014, 05:30:48 am »

What is the nun drawing in the wall ? I get it that she has a blood fetish (she IS one of Armok's chosen after all), but it looks like... nothing.

I don't know! It's probably nothing.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Littlest Cheesemaker (Illustrated Interactive Story) Update 11/24
« Reply #2316 on: December 15, 2014, 05:39:26 am »

As for what happens now, here's my mega-suggestion post I made a while back...I edited in to a fairly aged post, so I suspect not many people saw it at the time.

You know, it occurs to me that I listed helms in Reg's preference list when I did a mock DF mood screen for her. I'm not sure if I'm psychic. I suppose I should put it to the test.

Now, to get all of my Wild Mass Guesses off of my chest...

!!Reg is now a proper swordsdwarf (novice in swordsdwarf) rather than merely a recruit!!

!!Holt will bestow a title on Reg for her slaying of the creature of the night!!

!!Reg's title will be somewhat old fashioned and at least a little bit embarrassing to Reg, the kind of thing an aged, grandfatherly dwarf like Holt would consider a good title!!

!!Because of their detour into the lair of a night creature, Reg and Holt arrive at Shielddawn after Misty and the other migrants have been "processed", and are told by the dwarves at the door that nobody of Misty's description arrived with the last group!!

!!There will then be a timeskip of a few months or so!!

!!During this time, Misty will be put to work in the mines of Shielddawn ,perhaps as part of a crew of haulers assigned to move mine carts full of ore up from the depths!!

!!Misty being stuck down in the depths of Shielddawn is part of some higher conspiracy!!

!!At some point, perhaps via overhearing gossip from the guards or one of the other "laborers", Misty learns that the only living master (legendary+5) of the cheesemaking skill is none other than the necromancer!!

!!Misty will hatch a daring plan to escape Shielddawn, and, at the insistence of the couple who came to Shielddawn in the same wave as her, rescue their son from Shielddawn's "Daycare" program!!

!!We then return to Reg and Holt at the Mountainhomes just as Misty's plan is reaching a critical moment!!

!!Reg is now a proficient swordsdwarf!!

!!Because of his failure to keep an eye on Misty, and because he took the blame for the two getting lost and wandering into a night creature's lair, Holt has been politely asked to retire!!

!! Holt's replacement turns out to be a well-meaning but sheltered and horrifically under-qualified nobledwarf with an influential Count (who may have a goatee) for a father who negotiated him the position to keep him the as far away from any actual fighting as possible while still making him think he's in a position with actual responsibility!!

!!Awkward moments ensue between Reg and her clueless new boss!!

!!Then we hear screaming and fighting: the mountainhomes are under attack for the first time in decades!!

!!Back to Misty, because cliffhangers when switching between the perspectives of the protagonist and the (apparent) deutragonist seem to be a tradition at this point!!

So yeah.

3 rings is the civ symbol right?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2317 on: December 15, 2014, 09:50:51 am »

Nice one, I missed the rings on the armor. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: December 15, 2014, 01:55:05 pm »

... after all this paranoia and deception, Misty's going to lie and get shunted into some boring or dangerous job only to find out that Shielddawn is attempting to construct the world's largest underground dairy operation, isn't she?

+1
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: December 15, 2014, 06:40:43 pm »

+1
+1
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: December 15, 2014, 06:48:18 pm »

so it's their civ's symbol ? I missed that.

also is she engraving but with blood ? that is the greatest engraving method ever.

Also I vote no for a plumpy episode. We need to focus on misty now, not silent-comedy-plump-helmet-man.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: December 15, 2014, 10:51:10 pm »

Yep, the Armok-worshipping nun is engraving the divine symbol with holy ink.  It's not a very good engraving, though.  It's... dripping.

Misty: pray to Urist for your departed friend.  Quietly.  Don't let the axedwarf know.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: December 15, 2014, 10:56:15 pm »

Yep, the Armok-worshipping nun is engraving the divine symbol with holy ink.  It's not a very good engraving, though.  It's... dripping.

Misty: pray to Urist for your departed friend.  Quietly.  Don't let the axedwarf know.

+1, and quickly snatch any personal affects (and his socks since you're a dwarf) before the guards toss them in the trash. Hopefully one day you'll be able to give them to his next of kin, and maybe you'll be able to get some justice for the clearly unwarranted actions of these lunatics!

We all know what's going on, but I don't think Misty would get it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:02:16 pm by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: December 15, 2014, 11:39:48 pm »

> If asked, claimed your an engraver interested in learning about cheesemaking; it seems like these people are pretty serious about having skilled laborers around, and you're technically a dabbling engraver from drawing on your wall, right? In a fortress as mature as Shielddawn, it's not like there's going to be a massive engraving project going on anywhere right? So you'll most certainly be free to study with the experts on cheesemaking that are most definitely going to be found somewhere. Once you're good enough to produce results, you'll be able to ply your trade without fear of the crazy fortress guards who are almost certainly loose cannons and not representative of the entire fortress!
+1
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: December 16, 2014, 12:24:45 am »

> If asked, claimed your an engraver interested in learning about cheesemaking; it seems like these people are pretty serious about having skilled laborers around, and you're technically a dabbling engraver from drawing on your wall, right? In a fortress as mature as Shielddawn, it's not like there's going to be a massive engraving project going on anywhere right? So you'll most certainly be free to study with the experts on cheesemaking that are most definitely going to be found somewhere. Once you're good enough to produce results, you'll be able to ply your trade without fear of the crazy fortress guards who are almost certainly loose cannons and not representative of the entire fortress!
+1
+1
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 348