Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39

Author Topic: (KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: Conical Difficulties  (Read 66283 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
(KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: Conical Difficulties
« on: February 16, 2014, 09:56:26 pm »

I've been thinking about doing this ever since my after-action reports got some notice in the Kerbal Space Program thread, and when Twi suggested I do this, I thought "Why not?" I got a couple answers but ignored them. So, here we are, ready for me to try my first Career game of Kerbal Space Program!

But first, we have an important choice to make. It could prove pivotal to our efforts in space; it's hard to say what the effects will be right now, but they are important!

Oh yeah, and we also need to consider our initial goals. I guess that might be a little important too.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 02:24:29 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Space Program: Director GreatWyrmGold plays KSP
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 10:00:17 pm »

Flag choice is definitely orbs, they're gold.

Initial goal: SCIENCE!!
Specifically, the amassment of an assload of it.
Black lives matter.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 10:01:27 pm »

Question1: Can we upload flag instead of picking one of the ones available?

Question2: For those of us who haven't played KSP... What exactly can we do? What modules/items are available to us?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 10:04:30 pm »

In KSP, there are multitudes of different propulsion methods, fuel tanks, spacial position adjusters, crew capsules, and methods of collecting science.

People generally shoot rockets at shit though.
Black lives matter.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 10:05:27 pm »

People generally shoot rockets at shit though.

In that case, what shit can we shoot rockets at?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 10:10:20 pm »

Collect as many surface samples as possible from Kerbin before touching the moons.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 10:11:12 pm »

Question1: Can we upload flag instead of picking one of the ones available?

Question2: For those of us who haven't played KSP... What exactly can we do? What modules/items are available to us?
1: If so, I dunno.
2. Here's a nice wiki.

In that case, what shit can we shoot rockets at?
Kerbal Space Center has yet to detect any celestial excrement, although with more advanced sensors we sincerely hope not to find any. However, we have identified a number of celestial bodies orbiting the Sun, which "on the sidewalk" is referred to as Kerbol.

Collect as many surface samples as possible from Kerbin before touching the moons.
Suggestion noted! Now to look up a tutorial on how to make carboats!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 10:13:09 pm »

1: If so, I dunno.
2. Here's a nice wiki.

1. Yes, you can. Gotta place them in GameData/Squad/Flags Or something along those lines.

2. Reading it now. Will get back to you later.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 10:14:33 pm »

My suggestions still stand.
Black lives matter.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 10:15:16 pm »

Suggestion noted! Now to look up a tutorial on how to make carboats!

Make rockets. Shoot rockets in an arc to hit biomes. Add parachutes if you want to survive for science.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 11:21:12 pm »

But I wanna try something new...
Sig

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 11:28:10 pm »

Orbital station?
Black lives matter.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 11:29:44 pm »

Carboats are generally going to be slow. You should be able to get .... maybe 6 biomes within half an hour. The problem is actually getting wheels in career mode. Rovers are a ways away.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Space Program: Director GreatWyrmGold posts Pics
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 01:51:13 pm »

Councilor Bowtie Kerman suggests the Orbs flag, and everyone else is too busy discussing silly little things like "plans" and "practicality," so the Director smashes his comically oversized gavel into the table and declares it our flag.
Councilors Bigdee and Usec Kerman weigh in on plans, the latter pulling out a children's astronomy textbook and trying to make a checklist. In the end, the Council decides to science the surface. Kerbal Space Center has the middle word crossed off of the big sign out front and replaced with "Science" so we can pretend we always intended to do this. Our warehouse of rocket parts is supplemented with with some big white tarps we found lying on the road and two antennae from one of our kid's toys. This little rocket is named the SciMax Mk I.

Jebediah Kerman, our first pilot, standing by the SciMax Mk I.

Sciencing began immediately.

Science!

Jeb also discovered that he has a flag!

You're telling me you wouldn't do something like this?

He then prepares to head onwards and outwards.

Who knew being an astronaut involved so much walking?

More science!

We then got a weird bug that made the camera spin and ended the mission.

The location of the last 0.4 Science Points is unknown, despite three engineering interns giving their lives for what we assume was that purpose.

We promptly decide to start spending these Science Points. Director GreatWyrmGold makes the controversial decision on how to spend them without consulting the Council.

Truly a difficult decision for any kerbal to make.

Spoiler: Technology So Far (click to show/hide)

Director GreatWyrmGold has provided colorful brochures describing what our top scientists think our next practical research possibilities are.
Spoiler: Ooh, pretty! (click to show/hide)
When consulted, our kerbonauts were of three minds. Jebediah advocated General Rocketry, since "it'll let us fly high and maybe hit something in the sky"; Bill went for Survivability because "if things explode, I want a bunch of ways to not explode"; and Bob advised Stability because "it's the only one left".
Director GreatwyrmGold notes that General Rocketry just gives us bigger versions of stuff we already have, and while Survivability gives landing struts, Stability gives us the ability to point our rockets at things, helping us reach distant locations. And also not crash.

We also find a bunch of mysterious goo! This is probably going to be helpful.

Using some of our new technology, we build a bigger SciMax rocket, the Mark Two!

The Mk. II, currently falling from where it was being stored on the ceiling.

No one tell Jeb we moved the flag.

We launch the Mk. II...

So far, so good.

Wait, I already separated the stages...

While in midair, Jebediah attempted an EVA.

His gloves were slippery.

Who put this image here? I certainly didn't press that button!

He returned to base, having collected scientific data: Rocket fuel is bad for fish. On an unrelated note, fish BBQ for dinner tonight.
We launched another Mk II, more successfully and less wetly.

Generic note of flyingness!

Why are the decouplers always sticky? Is it the bubble gum we use to assemble them?

Separation at last!

Casually floating down...

What a lovely vista!

We land the capsule safely and carefully.

Either the flight was restful or Jeb stayed up too late at the BBQ party last night.

Who wouldn't want to put a flag down?

Sciencing begins.

Do you have any concern for the people who wash those spacesuits? Neither do we.

Didn't we already determine this? Oh well, more sciences.

The only reason to make sure your crew hatch is accessible to your scientist wannabes.

Jebediah tries to find the "Examine Goo" button, making sure not to confuse it with the "Self-Destruct" button. You can see Kerbal Space Science Center in the background.

The mystery goo is observed, Jeb brings down the throttle, and the tracking center sends out a sledge to haul back the pod.

More science!

Director GreatWyrmGold notes that we now have 26 science--enough to learn about something! But what will it be? And what will we do after that?

Screenshots during launches are kinda stressful. Don't expect them all the time.
Sig

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Space Program: Director GreatWyrmGold posts Pics
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 01:58:02 pm »

Make an orbital station! For large, planetary science!
Basically just put something in orbit.
Black lives matter.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39