Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 39

Author Topic: (KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: Conical Difficulties  (Read 66260 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: (KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: I Am GreatWyrmGold, The Sane One
« Reply #255 on: March 05, 2014, 10:22:43 pm »

Research whatever gives us Advanced SAS and use that.
Black lives matter.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 05, 2014, 10:36:12 pm »

We have nowhere near enough to research ANYTHING.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 05, 2014, 10:36:42 pm »

Orbital science?
Black lives matter.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 05, 2014, 10:36:59 pm »

I'd just put stacks on stacks of whatever reaction wheels we currently have onto the tops of each engine column. Advanced SAS would help, but at the moment it's not necessary. No wonder it's tilting though: you're relying entirely on the torque generated by the command pod for control, which is definitely not a lot. It was a good decision to make the rocket wider instead of taller.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 05, 2014, 10:40:10 pm »

If the rocket is tilting (not spinning but going up straight, consistently tilting to one side), even wit SAS on, it's too heavy.
Black lives matter.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 05, 2014, 10:52:11 pm »

I'd just put stacks on stacks of whatever reaction wheels we currently have onto the tops of each engine column. Advanced SAS would help, but at the moment it's not necessary. No wonder it's tilting though: you're relying entirely on the torque generated by the command pod for control, which is definitely not a lot. It was a good decision to make the rocket wider instead of taller.
We are relying on that torque because we have no other reaction wheels to add. Unless you think I should add more command pods?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 05, 2014, 11:57:49 pm »

We are relying on that torque because we have no other reaction wheels to add. Unless you think I should add more command pods?
We don't? I was certain we had researched them... My bad. In that case, though, yes, you can just use empty command pods instead.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 06, 2014, 03:38:55 am »

I just thought of a brilliant idea!

Launch sections of the ship you want into orbit, dock them together and create your ship, and just continue building a giant ass Space Hulk, as the game progresses get probe tech so it is easier to get stuff up there without losing people, and just slowly create a massive abomination of science in space.

If all the parts were detachable, you could also get rid of unneeded parts and let them float off or smash into a planet or you could move around the parts based on what you plan on doing, or launch up a bunch of landers and just deploy them whenever.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 06, 2014, 03:50:34 am »

We don't need a probe hulk to get to Minmus. And GWG is hardly ready for such procedures. For all the time I've played this game, I still probably couldn't do it.

What we need is to get crafts into orbit with a useful amount of fuel, without building skyscraper rockets.

Honestly, those XL segments are probably too heavy. Trim them down to I-beams if you can.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 06, 2014, 06:55:17 am »

Launch sections of the ship you want into orbit, dock them together and create your ship, and just continue building a giant ass Space Hulk, as the game progresses get probe tech so it is easier to get stuff up there without losing people, and just slowly create a massive abomination of science in space.

If all the parts were detachable, you could also get rid of unneeded parts and let them float off or smash into a planet or you could move around the parts based on what you plan on doing, or launch up a bunch of landers and just deploy them whenever.
1. Its...not brilliant at all
2. Docking ports are a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way off.
3. GWG isn't at the Space Hulk level. In fact I'M probably not at the Space Hulk level, and I have a enormous amount of experience he doesn't and am just generally better. At everything. *This statement provided by the Narcissism Society of America*

What we need is to get crafts into orbit with a useful amount of fuel, without building skyscraper rockets.

WHICH IS WHY I SUGGESTED AERO. FUCKING. DYNAMICS.
Jets do all that and more.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #265 on: March 06, 2014, 09:34:13 am »

I'd go for shorter but wider rockets. A 6-symmetry stacks of fuel plus engines. Perhaps yet another stage just below those, with boosters (if you have side decouplers, otherwise perhaps boosters just below the engines?). The first stage of boosters+LVTs should get you to where there's less atmosphere, and then the second stage ditches all of that weight and is more efficient at altitude.

If not, then perhaps just get a rocket to go to some other biome and get a soil sample. Those are always worth a bit!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 06, 2014, 10:42:20 am »

You can't build too wide or too tall or you run into problems. There is a sweet spot that works well. If we want to work within GWG's constraints might I suggest more Kerbin research to unlock more science? Go back to old designs we know can get into orbit and deorbit themselves. Tweak them a bit. It'll be repetitive but that's the point. Know how to orbit and circularize and everything. This will help hit targets on the Mun and Minmus.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:44:23 am by BigD145 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 06, 2014, 11:21:13 am »

We don't have docking ports.

Honestly, those XL segments are probably too heavy. Trim them down to I-beams if you can.
I could try that.
Sig

Rabid_Cog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 06, 2014, 01:40:57 pm »

GWG, I suggest you try easier things first. Forget landing anywhere. That is crud difficult. Just go for a flyby. You don't even need to orbit Mun or Minmus. When you start getting being able to get smaller ships into orbit efficiently, then you can start going for other planetery bodies.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 06, 2014, 01:52:57 pm »

GWG, I suggest you try easier things first. Forget landing anywhere. That is crud difficult. Just go for a flyby. You don't even need to orbit Mun or Minmus. When you start getting being able to get smaller ships into orbit efficiently, then you can start going for other planetery bodies.

No, I disagree. He needs to shoot for Eeloo.

At first this was a joke, but then I remembered "OH YEAH, that's about when *I* started figuring out KSP. When I tried (and failed) to reach Eeloo."

Basically I tried to get to Eeloo for a community game, failed horribly, but that was the first time I really understood how far my fuel would take me. It kinda gave me an appreciation for Delta-V.

Also it takes a LONG time messing with maneuver nodes to even get a shot lined up to fail, so he could learn about those too :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 39