Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 39

Author Topic: (KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: Conical Difficulties  (Read 66277 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: (KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: I Am GreatWyrmGold, The Sane One
« Reply #270 on: March 06, 2014, 03:12:16 pm »

"Shoot for Minmus, for if you fail, you will explode among the stars."
--Unknown (possibly because he exploded)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 06, 2014, 03:21:35 pm »

From your standard construction pattern, it seems as if you have a problem with too-long rockets. This is one of the mistakes I am also prone to do. Basically, imagine the following: Take a long ruler and push it from below. If you begin slightly swinging it, this vibration will continue.
Now, take an eraser and stick it on the top. Now, every time you move the ruler the vibration gets even stronger. This, of course, makes the rocket much, much more unstable. That was the problem of Minmusshot IV.

Now, from my experience, you can do a Minmus return with just a tiny bit of fuel. The Minmus to Kerbin stage you had shown last is probably nearly enough to get from Minmus orbit to the surface and back to Kerbin. Probably.

Then, a tip for general rocket construction: You want it to look roughly pyramid-shaped. So, try this:
Take the Kerbin-Lander and the Minmus --> Kerbin stage as you have designed. Add a single Science Junior plus two of the Goo canisters to the Kerbin lander. One single science mission with them should bring you about 100 science if you return them.
Then, add a single Tricoupler under it, and add three fuel tanks plus engines there. That's all you'll need. Build your stages from those three, with three decouplers and struts between them. That should probably work and - if you don't make the rocket too big - be maneuverable, too.

Lastly, there is a tip I can give you: Use either MechJeb or FlightEngineer (haven't used the latter). Not for landing, just during vessel building. This will give you information about the thrust to weight ratio (which could have prevented something from your past...) and the available deltaV. With the KSP Cheat Sheet, that should help you calculate the actual requirements. Of course, you could do it per hand, with enough time, but this generally makes it easier.

Shoot for the moon.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 06, 2014, 04:42:33 pm »

Want a rocket design? Or shall we just sit here and laugh?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 06, 2014, 08:27:32 pm »

Want a rocket design? Or shall we just sit here and laugh?
You don't read well, do you?

-snip-
Pretty good advice, pi.
People keep recommending Mechanical Jeb. Where is it and how do I use it?

Shoot for the moon.
Ah, Randall Munroe. You always crack me up.

Anyways. Update shortly.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 06, 2014, 09:00:22 pm »

http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2/ Use version 168. I have experience with it being mostly stable. If you make a ship that's too front heavy it may chase its tail with maneuver nodes.

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 06, 2014, 10:38:32 pm »

Ok.  So I got the demo, and my ships keep flipping over early in launch.  What am I doing?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 07, 2014, 07:53:16 am »

http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2/ Use version 168. I have experience with it being mostly stable. If you make a ship that's too front heavy it may chase its tail with maneuver nodes.
Neat.

And I'm sorry I lied about getting started on the update, but my laptop battery died and my charging cord just isn't working. So yeah, no updates for a little while.
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 07, 2014, 08:47:24 am »

Neat.

And I'm sorry I lied about getting started on the update, but my laptop battery died and my charging cord just isn't working. So yeah, no updates for a little while.

LIAR! YOU DIRTY LYING LIAR! HOW DARE YOU LIE TO US?!? US! YOUR ONLY FRIENDS!

Ok.  So I got the demo, and my ships keep flipping over early in launch.  What am I doing?
Probably shoulda posted this in the actual KSP thread, but yeah your ship is apparently really top heavy. Your rocket is too big at the top, not big enough at the bottom.

Or alternatively you could add a bunch of torque parts :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: Technical Issues
« Reply #278 on: March 07, 2014, 01:50:46 pm »

I've got lost of friends elsewhere on Bay12. And a few in real life, even!

Anyways, thanks to my roommate's laptop's charging cord being similar enough to mine to work, and how he usually leaves his laptop (and cord) in his room, I have a stopgap measure! Not likely enough to get a post up tonight, unless I get lucky with quickly navigating public transit to the nearest Best Buy, but I should have an update tomorrow at least.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: Technical Issues
« Reply #279 on: March 07, 2014, 09:10:36 pm »

No cord but yes stubbornness.

Let's get to work on designing a whole new spacecraft. Quickly, so I can launch it before my battery dies. Screenshots aren't working, sadly, so I'll describe it.

A command pod with legs and a parachute--the Kerbin lander. A mid-sized (for now) fuel tank and a high-ISP engine--the Minmus launch-offer. A tri-coupler, some lab stuff, some larger fuel tanks, and more of those rockets--the Minmus lander. Three more fuel tanks with higher-thrust engines--the Minmus-reacher. Six solid fuel boosters strapped to the edges--orbiting. Six decouplers--launch-pad cushions. Sending Bill up because he was fist in line.

Spins begin upon launch. I recall that I didn't strut anything to anything, nor did I add extra command pods for torque. Oh well.

Solid fuel half gone at ~2800 meters, speed just over 178 m/s. We pass 200 m/s at 3500 and two-thirds gone. Throttle has no effect on these things, so I can't avoid wasting delta-v in the lower atmosphere.
7500 meters, most of the way to the gravity turn. 343 m/s on the nose. Solid fuel ninety-odd percent gone.
Solid fuel boosters ejected at nine kilometers and 388 m/s. The reaction wheels in the cockpit slow down and stop the roll. Gravity turn, a bit late. I try getting the apoapsis up, and it takes me several precious seconds to realize that the fuel in the current stage ran out. Already on landing engines, I try to salvage the mission, burning more vertical than not.
I bring the apoapsis up to a bit under 71 kilometers.
I try to set up a maneuver node to take me around to a nice orbit, but reach it before I finish. I start burning, realize I've burn up half my fuel. We're nearly out before we get a topside apoapsis. Scrapping it. Maybe half an hour of charge left in my laptop, so I'll wrap this up and call it an update.

Thoughts?
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: (KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: An Update A Day
« Reply #280 on: March 08, 2014, 09:40:20 am »

Its funny how your SRBs are empty at 9 kilometers and mine aren't even turned on until 11 km.

BECAUSE AERODYNAMICS.

Why yes, I WILL shove this in your face at every opportunity :P

Ever heard of the FTL egg?
Lemme find it on Youtube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EZWbF3sQQI
that's Scott Manley showing what it does.

But yeah, I want to find a way to use that as my first stage.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 08, 2014, 02:16:39 pm »

I too must recommend aerodynamics. I just discovered the awesomeness today, and managed to get this 11 part ship to Mun.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It did land on Mun with 0.08 liquid fuel left, but it still got there!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 08, 2014, 02:17:55 pm »

It's not that hard to get tiny ships on the Mun. Ships that start pretty small.

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 08, 2014, 02:41:00 pm »

Its funny how your SRBs are empty at 9 kilometers and mine aren't even turned on until 11 km.

BECAUSE AERODYNAMICS.

Why yes, I WILL shove this in your face at every opportunity :P

Ever heard of the FTL egg?
Lemme find it on Youtube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EZWbF3sQQI
that's Scott Manley showing what it does.

But yeah, I want to find a way to use that as my first stage.

Could you cool it with the aerodynamics schtick?  It's pretty obvious at this point that he's not going to just off and do it until he gets to that point.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 09, 2014, 12:32:59 am »

It's kinda cheaty using jets that way, they really only manage huge efficiency at high speeds, which sadly the game doesn't actually take into account, so even though I can (possibly)  launch an orange tank with only 6 parts at 10 meters per second, it's not really that much fun.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 39