Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39

Author Topic: (KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: Conical Difficulties  (Read 66262 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

I don't seem to recall saying that MechJeb was broken.
And you recommended this version, if I recall...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Well, there is one way to get to almost any biome without crashing, but it's quite slow: by car.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...Don't those need wheels?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They're all broken in their own way, otherwise you wouldn't see so many damn versions. I recommended one of the newer and more stable versions.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

Okay, my second day of serious KSP playing, I managed to get a Kerbal stuck in space, then I managed to get an orbiter up with enough fuel to get back down. Now I'm kind of stuck in a rut. What are some good ways to get a lot of science?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, my second day of serious KSP playing, I managed to get a Kerbal stuck in space, then I managed to get an orbiter up with enough fuel to get back down. Now I'm kind of stuck in a rut. What are some good ways to get a lot of science?

Best to ask in the main Other Games thread. This is for GWG's play.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright. IIRC, we were going to research Flight Control for reaction wheels and then keep trying to get other-biome science.
We do so, getting a new potential research option.

Shocker, we needed to research Flight Control first.

We design a neat science rocketbot, the Heuristic Airborne Laboratory.

Rejected name: Grand Laboratory, Advanced Discovery of Science.

Of course, you may be wondering: "Director GreatWyrmGold, it can't fly. How is it airborne?" Well, my clever friend, here is your answer:

With probably-fully-recoverable expended stanges!

This little rocket can probably take this wonder of science anywhere on the planet!
We start with a southward launch. 45 seconds in, the solid boosters run out of power and are supposed to be ejected, but they stick around.

At least the recoverable thingy worked.

And either one came loose when we ditched that stage, or the solid boosters are just tangled in the fuel tanks.

Even ejecting the lower stages, we are on a falling trajectory. Pointing straight up helped fix this. However, once we stopped, we started falling again. We really do need to be pretty much pointing straight up to avoid falling into the ocean.
Not quite two minutes in, we run out of fuel. Time to coast down, I guess...

We've fully scienced the oceans it seems.
I don't really want to go for too much longer with this battery, which I'll want to conserve for later, so...comment on the failure of HAL and give suggestions for how to science right, I guess.
Sig

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: And We're Back (Kinda)
« Reply #337 on: March 12, 2014, 02:54:33 pm »

You need to use the bigger rockets with lower ISP. They have more thrust. Those tiny engines aren't much use in atmosphere.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 13, 2014, 05:04:44 pm »

Yeah, ISP is great, but its not much use if it can't lift you off the ground.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 13, 2014, 08:22:30 pm »

I would like to share with you something I told my eight-year-old brother about my rocket designs:
Quote from: Me
My rockets always do what they are supposed to do. I just have to make sure they are supposed to do what I want them to.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 13, 2014, 10:41:26 pm »

Do we have any intakes?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 14, 2014, 09:43:37 am »

What good would intakes be if we don't have jets?

Update shortly. (Probably.)
Sig

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 14, 2014, 03:21:42 pm »

Time to shoot for a mountain, I guess.

The landing lab, which is most certainly not near any kind of explosion that people are running away from.

The rocket is given eight good-sized fuel tanks and six high-thrust engines. Bob is ready to fly out for science! We start the flight, try to figure out which way to turn to reach the mountains, and begin wishing we had added some reaction wheels as it promptly begins handling like a drunken kerbonaut. It turns slowly and stops turning slower. Then we run out of fuel.

It's not mountains 12 kilometers away, and it's probably not mountains here either.

We maneuver the more stable lab section into a vertical alignment, release the parachutes at 4,000 meters, deploy the landing gear, and...land.
We missed the mountains, but we are evidently in the tundra region.

...Whatever you say, things that give us science.

Bob celebrated the only way he knew how: Scientific papers and a new flag!

Science rules! Safety us something like twenty-second to the throne.

Well then. We're almost halfway to Aerodynamics, which should make sciencing Kerbin much easier! We're so excited, we decide to do something...orbiting science.

The Max-Sci-Mum Mark One is pretty good, all things considered.

Another rocket. Small, but with the eight solid boosters added after this photo was taken, it has nearly 5,000 m/s of delta-velocity, so we should be able to get into orbit.
Which is to say, we'll almost certainly crash. That's why we're sending a new guy up.

Enden volunteers for this important mission.
We reach 9,300 meters when the solid boosters give out and are released. They seem to stick and the engines don't work...wait, I didn't put the decouplers and rockets in the same stage. I turn on the liquid rockets and dammit the solids are still on. There are some disturbing sounds and flashes of light (explosions?) as we gravity-turn. Well, not frikkin' much I can do right now (although I'm double-checking those decouplers for the next version).
Our orbital velocity goes pasta kilometer per second. We're above 30 km. This stage is almost dry. Apoapsis a bit past 50 km. Let's see how this goes.
The apoapsis reaches 76 kilometers. There's a bit of fuel left in the second stage...might as well keep it. Almost two minutes to apoapsis.
The launch has been going for three minutes. We're almost to space, and 45 seconds from apoapsis. We start burning, emptying that stage, then we eject--successfully!--and continue burning prograde, horizontally.

This launch has been exceeding the expectations of our most cynical (and hence experienced) engineers!

Four minutes in. We've finally started falling. Periapsis has risen about a hundred meters, but it's still hundreds below Kerbin's rocky surface. And while the burn is increasing our periapsis, it is (very, very slowly) lowering our apoapsis...shifting more prograde than horizontal. That helps, even though the prograde marker is below the horizon.
Four-forty, periapsis -200 kilometers, apoapsis almost 80 kilometers, altitude less than 74. Rise, you damn periapsis!
Five minutes. Periapsis exits the surface right before; craft enters the atmosphere right after. Burn continues, slightly more upwards. Fuel...maybe a half, maybe a third...call it 40%. Also, the screen turns funny.

Why, interface, why?!?

Periapsis quickly nears my current altitude. I kill the thrust, since my apoapsis is 400,000 meters--more than enough to guarantee I'll make it back out of atmosphere.
Periapsis is passed.
Eight-twenty. We re-enter space. A maneuver node is made to circularize the orbit.

Node way!

It requires just under 200 m/s of delta-v, and we have over 600 according to MechJeb. Nothing left to do but wait for apoapsis and circularize in a roughly-400-kilometer orbit. The highest any kerbal has ever been, I believe.
I turn on the Smart Automatic Stabilization System included in the MechJeb system, which will point us at the node. Useful doohicky, but hardly a replacement for that famed kerbonaut.

Nothing left to do now but time-accelerate and wait.

Yes, the image is sloppy. Shut up, I was trying to capture and save it before I overshot the node.

The lovely thing about MechJeb is that it keeps you pointed the right way even as you move and turn and stuff.
Twenty-eight minutes. The deed is done. The orbit is circularized. Time for science. Which I failed to set an action group for. Ah well.

SPAAACE!

The science is done within a half an hour. Now we need to make a decision: Do we want to orbit a while longer, or head straight for KSC to get our science?
...Not really a question. Especially since Enden reports biological needs, and we failed to include appropriate facilities.
We have a nice victory lap around the planet, then once we're at apoapsis we burn retrograde, bringing the periapsis to about 20 kilometers. The maneuver is well within our capabilities.

But first, a picture, taken right before the deorbit burn.

You ca almost see the spacecraft there, a little down and right of the center. It's downright...um...something.

I'd send in an IVA pic as well, since those are always scenic and whatnot for others, but mine are always...well...

That doesn't look like space...

I overshoot the burn a little, causing the ship to flip, but eh. Periapsis is a bit under 17 km instead of a bit over 20 km, but what's 3.6 kilometers between friends? And with the aerobraking taking us down to nil long before then, it really is meaningless.

Hiya, Kerbin! We're coming home!

The rocket is ejected shortly after we enter the atmosphere; it rockets off behind us and is left behind before we can even blink. We bob every which way until the Smart A.S.S. (get it?) is set to Radial Out (also known as "up," I think). It puts us at an odd angle, making me rethink that.
After an hour and forty-five minutes on the dot, we land far from home and collect science.

The landing. Note that we're about a third of a world from KSC. And well past the Sandy Flag Crash.

We are so friggin' close to aerodynamics!

Enden scurries off to the bathroom, and is promptly told to get back into a rocket. He didn't really want to, but we threatened to fire him if he didn't. We checked the decoupler issues, probably fixed them, and sent the kerbonaut to the poles. Okay, just the north one.
After a fried snafu where we started going south, we get to a good start. Then the solid boosters still don't come off (I've had it up to here with radial decoupler malfunctions), and some disturbing explosions still happen. Once we're on the third stage (puny, high-ISP) rocket, we have trouble keeping our vertical and horizontal velocities from dropping. We dip to a bit over 2,400 meters above ground level (3,000 above sea level) when Jeb's flying finally brings us back into a climb.

Wait, Jeb?

"Yes, Jeb. Sorry about that other guy. He really wanted to go to space today."

Four and a half minutes in, we're completely out of fuel and eject the last rocket. We've traveled a mean "speed" of about one degree of latitude per minute. It's dark, but with Jeb (and the MechJeb--mostly the latter, actually) we deploy the parachutes exactly a kilometer above the ground. Five minutes in, it's nearly unfurled and we hear something smashing into the ground, probably one of the rockets.
We got farther than most rockets.

Pictured: Farther

Despite his best attempts, Jeb cannot ascend back to the lander after taking a surface sample. Meh.

YAY!

We grab aerodynamics. This unlocks several new parts and Supersonic Flight.

A better name than "Advanced Flight," even if you can already achieve supersonic flight with a rocket engine and paid-up life insurance.

So. What should we do with our new jets and wings? Science plane? Space jet? Something else?
After nowish, I can't use my stopgap charging method, so next time I update I'll have my new charging cord. Conversely, until I get a new charging cord, I won't be updating. Or posting much. Or watching Hugo's video. Adios!
Sig

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: (KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: Jebediah Came Back!
« Reply #344 on: March 14, 2014, 03:25:32 pm »

Jets as first stage. Dont forget to let them spool up before launch.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39