Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rocksplash  (Read 1034 times)

Prometheusmfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rocksplash
« on: February 07, 2014, 12:03:18 am »

Update 1: The Canyon

Endok cursed at the heat as they trudged between the trees. Occasionally, a gust of cold wind would roll down the mountain, but it was otherwise too hot. The mountainhomes stayed nice and cool year-round; the cold was a relief when working hard, and Endok's clothes didn't end up all sticky by sun's height. Every step made her want to jump into the river they were following more and more.

The heat was but one of a long list of things Endok hated about this expedition. She'd had a nice, comfortable job counting mugs back in the mountainhomes, and that apparently made her qualified to start a new fortress. Not only were they undertrained and underequipped, but the caravan had been pointed south and kicked out.

"When are we going to stop?" Reg complained for the umpteenth time.

No felt like answering. Sighing at the silence, Reg wandered off. "Reg!" Etur called after her. "Stick with the group." Etur drew out each word as she spoke became disregarded.

"She'll be back," Nish said, her voice losing all emotion. This hadn't been the first time Reg left in the middle of their travels, and no one expected it to be the last.

Reg hadn't been gone long before they saw her running back, twigs catching in her hair. She was well out of breath by the time she met up with the group. "I found it," she said between gasps.

Reg lead them further along the river until they came out from the trees. Before them, the river dropped off, splitting into a small canyon that cut off the end of the ridge. Everything was perfect: the waterfall, the canyon, the isolation. Everything was so... dwarven.

Canyons are perhaps one of the most attractive thing for me in terms of building. Every world I gen, if there's a canyon, I'm building in it. I don't know what it is about a river cutting through rock like that, but I feel it makes for a very dwarven aesthetic. So when I found this in my latest world, I knew I had to do a story/non-succession community fort with it. Right now, I don't have any plans committed towards megaprojects and whatnot, and I'm not exactly the most experienced player out there (a vast majority of my forts end due to boredom rather than any in-game death).

Rocksplash

Endok Lasganushat

Etur Rigothlegon

Likot Cagithsakzul

Nish Uvelablel

Olon Geshudisan

Reg Zefonmeb

Thob Tunzat

I just googled that phrase and found nothing. Congratulations, those three words in that order have never been typed into the googleable internet before! Until now.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Rocksplash
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 12:43:30 am »

Nice place indeed.
Dorf me as carpenter, and let him work on Fish Gathering Sieve - i.e. just a few wooden grates installed where the waterfall falls. Fish (and other animals) will drop out of waterfall and stay in the grate.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 02:41:10 am »

PTW
couldnt agree more about canyons, for some reason they're just very attractive, although i've never done anything special with one..
not sure you should dwarf me, i doublt i'll be very active on this thread
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 03:05:48 am »

On a map like this I usually build a walkway underneath the waterfall, with grates and fortifactions. It will be the only way between the fort proper, and the hospital/sleeping area. It will also include wells, which can be many zlevels above the actual water. This way dwarves go into the good-thought mist in regular intervalls (each time they go to bed), and all injured dwarves get a free bath automatically on the way to the hospital, preventing infections. It also gives fresh water access inside the fort.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:23:53 pm »

I would like an axedwarf. His name is terran. He is very calm usaully and he lets out all of his emotions in combat. He is always smoking a cigarette (for rp purposes).he also knows a lot of history.
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

wasara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 02:20:51 am »

Dorf me as the fish cleaner. Jean will be his name and cleaning will be his game.
Poor Wasara. This fort really doesn't seem to like you too much. All the more reason to continue to help beat it into submission.