Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adamantine priority/remelt.  (Read 13836 times)

dahn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Adamantine priority/remelt.
« on: February 17, 2014, 05:17:44 pm »

Hi,

Hopefully a couple of quick Adamantine related questions.

So far I've mined about 750 strands and its slowly being processed into wafers.  Don't think i can squeeze any more out so im kind of now at the limit.  As for steel, i've just entered year 2 and my production has only just begun but it appears near endless.

With this in mind what would you advise making from the Adamantine? The basic armor minus the breast plate and helm (from steel) and shield (from wood).

I plan to remelt lower quality weapons until a higher grade can be achieved. Can the same thing be done with Adamantine?

Many thanks,
Dahn

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine priority/remelt.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 05:37:54 pm »

Melting adamantine gives considerable lower yields, excluding a few special cases (minecarts due to a glitch), so it's better to just take what you're given. No enemy in the game will wear adamantine (or steel?), so since the armour system only really cares about material, an -adamantine short sword- will cut straight through a ☼Steel breastplate☼.

In other words, quality doesn't matter, don't remelt them
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 07:30:19 pm »

Melting adamantine gives considerable lower yields, excluding a few special cases (minecarts due to a glitch), so it's better to just take what you're given. No enemy in the game will wear adamantine (or steel?), so since the armour system only really cares about material, an -adamantine short sword- will cut straight through a ☼Steel breastplate☼.

In other words, quality doesn't matter, don't remelt them

Still a good idea to make them as high quality as you possibly can, use your most skilled weaponsmith. Also, year two and adamantine already?

As for the steel, enemies won't arrive with them, but the dwarven caravans will have stuff made of steel.

I read about using bolts as a way to extend the adamantine supplies, but given the possibility of losing the bolts, I dunno about that one.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 07:45:45 pm »

I read about using bolts as a way to extend the adamantine supplies, but given the possibility of losing the bolts, I dunno about that one.
Use coins instead. It's 110% yield without even splitting and 5000% fully split (using trading.)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:52:13 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 07:50:42 pm »

The possibility of losing the bolts can be eliminated with the right setup. I can't remember where I found the exact science of it, but this wiki section provides some links and there's some user on the wiki who has the whole thing in minute detail on his personal page.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

dahn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 07:07:20 am »

Thanks for the info guys.

Is 750 Adamantine strands a good amount?  I think it is enough to kit out the armor of a smallish squad. Now I've got to figure out the layering and which parts to smith.  Caps or Helms?  Or both?

Also, year two and adamantine already?

Yes, I was quite lucky.  Fairly early on I mined down a 3x3 channel to about level 85 and hit a cavern which in turn revealed the adamantine and lots of gold/silver and the like.  The Adamantine was on level 75.  My fortress is on level 145 ish.  I stopped mining the adamantine at about level 50 when it narrowed to a spire and since then I've been cautious about mining only the straggly bits.  Not quite ready to have that much fun yet.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 07:21:15 am »

You can have endless adamantine by spltting stacks of bolts into single bolts before melting them down. The best way to do this is via trade I think, shooting techniques are obsolete. With trade-splitting, there is no possibility of losing bolts.
Full adamantine plate is smth like 30 wafers, so you've got plenty of stuff to outfit two squads even without resorting to exploits.
On the other hand melting the stuff reclaims negligible amount of adamantine invested  (three times less than melting down  regular metal items, iirc) and I would not recommend it.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 07:33:44 am »

Instead of multiplying stuff via splits and trade, just admit to cheating and use DFhack.
Way easier and leaves the same bland taste in your mouth.

Other than that, Axes and Swords as top priority.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

dahn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 07:54:17 am »

Haha.  No cheating here, well not knowingly, and not so far.  The moment that I cheat is the moment I know challenge would be lost, and with it any fun.

Though I suppose chatting to you guys and using the wiki is a form of cheating?

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 07:57:54 am »

In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating for the game is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

dahn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 08:33:08 am »

Just taken all your helpful advise and set about putting the dwarves to adamantine armor production when a metalsmith is hit by a strange mood and ends up creating an Adamantine shield.  Great.  Encrusted in everything and anything he could get his hands on.  It is however given a basic value of 1,348,800.  Sell or keep?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 08:43:27 am »

Just taken all your helpful advise and set about putting the dwarves to adamantine armor production when a metalsmith is hit by a strange mood and ends up creating an Adamantine shield.  Great.  Encrusted in everything and anything he could get his hands on.  It is however given a basic value of 1,348,800.  Sell or keep?

You can't sell artifacts. Just have one of your awesome military dwarves equip it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 11:35:50 am »

Full set of adamantine armour:

Helm: 2
Mail shirt: 6
Breastplate: 9
Gauntlets: 2
Greaves: 6
Leggings:5
Boots: 2 for high, 1 if you only have low boots

You can't wear leggings and greaves at the same time, so that's 24-26 wafers depending on boot and legwear choice. An edged weapon for 3 or 4 wafers bumps that up to 27-30 wafers. Shields are best made out of copper. Material doesn't matter for blocking, and weight doesn't matter for potential encumbrance when the rest of your gear is so light.

I'd skip the adamantine breastplate and either go without or use a steel one.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 02:36:26 pm »

The possibility of losing the bolts can be eliminated with the right setup. I can't remember where I found the exact science of it, but this wiki section provides some links and there's some user on the wiki who has the whole thing in minute detail on his personal page.

Here you go.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 02:44:13 pm »

Shields are best made out of copper. Material doesn't matter for blocking, and weight doesn't matter for potential encumbrance when the rest of your gear is so light

I understand your premises, but not your conclusion. Why not just wooden shields?
Pages: [1] 2