Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: A warrior - male profession  (Read 13475 times)

Varyag1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A warrior - male profession
« on: February 19, 2014, 09:35:43 am »

Very often meet female a warriors - 50%. It is not right. Ratio be should:
male a warriors - 99%
female a warriors - about 1%

Sorry for my bad english.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A warrior - male profession
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 09:51:15 am »

While that could certainly be the case for some cultures, it shouldn't be set that way for all. Random generated cultures will be developed in the future, and then we'll certainly get everything from this to Amazonian cultures and all in between. To set something up before then to just make human warrior sex ratios different doesn't really strike me as that big a deal personally. It most certainly wouldn't fit the image of dwarves, elves and goblins laid out so far anyway :>

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 09:55:07 am »

Very often meet female a warriors - 50%. It is not right. Ratio be should:
male a warriors - 99%
female a warriors - about 1%

Sorry for my bad english.

Are you talking about period wise or is that your real life belief? If you want to do that in your fort, fine, can't stop you, but DF doesn't take place on Earth in the Middle Ages and so, doesn't need to conform to societal norms of the period.

Varyag1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:22:23 am »

Sorry, I did not fully understand the question, but the main essence realized.
I will stick to the real picture, and she was in life. Also, this trend was even in the world of fantasy LotR. I am not opposed to deviations in the culture, but the rate should be 99 \ 1%. This is logical and the historical side and biological. A male - hunter, a female - home (mostly).
The gameplay is of course a little while affected, but I hate when my team in half or more of women warriors.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:28:31 am by Varyag1 »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 10:37:29 am »

Also, this trend was even in the world of fantasy LotR.
If you're using fantasy worlds as an example, why exclude DF's world?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Varyag1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 10:48:34 am »

hehehe, well, of course you can make an exception, skills can. Well, I personally hard to imagine a picture where men and women compete on the same level))
Based on questions to me alone is hard to imagine))

Can add a poll?

Varyag1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 10:54:31 am »

Man, yet are more physically fit and trained for battle. And in those hard times, I doubt that the men were weak (it was a rare exception, either slaves or the elderly). Of course a woman can also trenerovat but against male fitness is weak.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 11:42:44 am »

There are very few creatures in DF that distinguish between male and female stats and sizes. Elephant seals, moose... probably a couple of other non-variant creatures, but they're all animals. I'm totally fine with DF having male and female creatures competing mostly on the same level, and do not feel that anybody wishing to play or use a female character should be penalised for it (or, alternatively, that anyone using a male character should get a bonus for it).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 11:57:09 am »

But in DF there isn't really differences in attributes between males and females. But I'd like to be able mod things like this. Some simple thing in raws which defines how civilization views female warriors - you could make civs with just male warriors or ones with only female warriors!

But in DF lore, there doesen't seem to be a reason to change much. Elves are already led by queens and princesses, and goblins are anyway extremely liberal. Only humans and maybe dwarves would have mainly male soldiers.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 12:31:37 pm »

Oh, you're one of those people who think women should mostly stay at home? Look, whatever your personal beliefs, it's not neccesary to force DF into that one cultural view.

Also, there is nothing stopping you from having an all male army in DF, nor is there anything stopping you from choosing male only warriors in adventure mode.

If you choose to play that way, fine.

It it extremely bothers you, you can look into modding.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 12:40:11 pm »

Female leaders doesn't necessarily mean female warriors, as choosing males for war has more to do with sexual dimorphism (human males tend to grow larger and hold more muscle mass than human females). However, Elves are probably slight-framed in either gender, and Dwarven genders are probably equally stocky, muscly, and grumpy.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 12:52:04 pm »

Looking at Threetoes stories, for elves at least there are both male and female fighters in the different stories, seemingly equally represented (the females are more badass though!). As for humans most seem to have males as the warrior type, there is however also the "Mother of Death" story, name is fairly self-explanatory. There's also one about a female arena champion :>

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 01:00:03 pm »

There aren't any stat differences between male and female Dwarves in DF, but this is not universal.  For example, the warrior caste of the ant-man race is described as "ant women" (though they lack a [FEMALE] tag and are thus sterile).

Dwarf Fortress does impose two sex differences on Dwarves that make many players lean toward drafting males.

The first difference is tiny.  In vanilla DF male Dwarves have beards and female Dwarves don't.  In DF's combat system, having an extra nonessential "body part" confers a tiny advantage.  A one-line change in the raws would give the females beards, and at least some fictional depictions of Dwarves support that idea.

The second difference has a much bigger impact.  Females have children and after birth carry the infant everywhere for about a year.  Everywhere including battle.  Losing a child affects both parents, but Warrior Mom would definitely witness the death.  I'm not sure how this baby-toting behavior could be affected by the raws or if it is hard-coded.

Of course, my computer's random number generator hates me, so the Dwarves in my forts with above-average combat stats skew decidedly female.  So I've got big beefy miner gals protected by wimpy accountant guys.  Some kind of babysitting labor would be highly useful.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 01:13:16 pm »

It should be noted that the beard cannot be targeted, or even hit, and thus does not affect combat in any way. The only real disadvantage that the females have is the baby problem, which can be avoided by preventing female soldiers from socializing (and thus getting married), though that solution requires some micromanaging.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 02:07:25 pm »

It should be noted that the beard cannot be targeted, or even hit, and thus does not affect combat in any way. The only real disadvantage that the females have is the baby problem, which can be avoided by preventing female soldiers from socializing (and thus getting married), though that solution requires some micromanaging.

Well, babies are also extra shields. If the player can deal with the unhappiness caused by wounds/death of children, female warriors are actually better. And legendary dining room, own room and stuff like this usually makes them forget losing child quite fast.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8