Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: A warrior - male profession  (Read 13466 times)

Varyag1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A warrior - male profession
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 02:12:35 pm »

smjjames,
women can be warriors , but these moments are rare , mainly due to the life situation forced them to become so .
But they may be in many civilizations due to the particular culture as Amazons .

Moreover , it is more variety to the difference between males and females . Of course, there will need to add women more feminine psychology of behavior.

Well, as noted above post , a woman has a child, forced him to carry around with them , including the battles instead of what would have as much as possible to secure a place .

I think that the various races of the sex ratio ( soldiers ) may be different. For example :
People - men and women 99% 1%
Dwarves - men 70% and women 30%
Elves - men 50% and women 50%
Orcs and kobolty - no difference

Well, of course in the investigation of various external influences in the world when generating a map , the value in these civilizations can be change.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:55:15 pm by Varyag1 »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 02:31:17 pm »

@varyag1: if you mean historically, yes it's true that women aren't usually warriors due to the life situation and their societal norms, but there are plenty of women in the military today.

Varyag1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 02:50:18 pm »

smjjames, Yes, it is. But, the modern and the medieval army cardinally differ. In a modern army is not required Serious physical effort. They are present, but not in such doses. Now the army is more accurate analytical, and to win, do not need to collect a lot of strong army that will fight wall to wall. Now, the army is dominated by high technology, whereas in Medieval dominates brute force.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:53:15 pm by Varyag1 »

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 03:32:01 pm »

The OP here evidently hasn't heard of the Vikings. They didn't give a damn about gender or anything, if you could fight then you could fight. Viking culture actually puts our supposed modern-day culture to shame because they didn't discriminate nearly as much as we do, they valued practicality.

Females may not've been as common as males, it is a simple fact that males tend to be stronger. But this 1% bullshit is way out there.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Varyag1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 03:42:29 pm »

612DwarfAvenue
What mean "OP"?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 04:01:19 pm »

612DwarfAvenue
What mean "OP"?

"Original Poster"

Varyag1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 04:33:32 pm »

Manveru Taurënér, Thanks you!

612DwarfAvenue, heh, I read a lot and studied the culture of the Vikings. No special cases, I do not read of women by men. This honorable men to die in battle, and if women knew how to fight, rather as self-defense. The Vikings followed the woman home and farm and were central to the case.

(maybe I do not understand you correctly, it was hard to translate post mestati double meaning formed)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 04:34:24 pm »

I think that this discussion can be concluded by asking two very simple questions:
What does it add?
Why should Toady spend time on it?

To answer the first one, it adds "Realism", specifically "Realism" in favor of one culture. It doesn't add functionality or atmosphere, so there's not much point to it.
I would appreciate Varyag1's answer to the second question, because I can't think of one.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 04:42:32 pm »

I think the better feature would be to add more caste-specific definitions of entity behavior to the raws, which would enable a lot of other things. For instance, a full-blown antperson civilization could ensure that only soldier castes got military roles, and the worker ants don't wind up in the majority of battles just because there are more of them.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 04:48:09 pm »

That would be legitimately awesome.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 04:59:50 pm »

I think the better feature would be to add more caste-specific definitions of entity behavior to the raws, which would enable a lot of other things. For instance, a full-blown antperson civilization could ensure that only soldier castes got military roles, and the worker ants don't wind up in the majority of battles just because there are more of them.
I concur with the one whose name is immaterial.  With the Humans & Cave Spider Civilization example from the wiki, I thought arbitrary entity tags could be sloshed around castes.  Maybe the stuff about professions cannot, which means making it so qualifies as a suggestion.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 06:08:27 pm »

Sounds like the real fix to this is to add gender symbols to the military screen, art least on the assign positions part.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 07:48:45 pm »

Excuse me, just pointing this out.

But traditionally, women have taken up arms along side men when the situations in life were incredibly dangerous. Even in cultures where they traditionally did not take up martial laws. That's not even taking into account the dozens upon dozens of cultures where females could fight as a rule. China, for example, has a very long history of female martial artists, especially in the Knight Errant's period of their history before the unification. It was only with Confucius laying out the rules of society that things became a little more concrete, and even then, well, yeah, it didn't really change all that much.

And just look at the Spartans. Their women helped put down slave uprisings regularly. They were expected to work alongside the phalanxes in doing that.

And then we can look at dozens of african tribes, the vast majority of societies had far more lax rules about this sort of thing than we're lead to believe, and it probably was a slow thing that resulted from the predominance of patriarchal religions after the matriarchal 'mother goddess' religions were slowly stamped out.

Or do you REALLY think that mothers wouldn't pick up a fucking spear and know how to use it when there's fucking predators going after their children?

Or that in medieval times the lady of a keep wouldn't be the one to organize the defense when the lord was away? Or even when he was there but unable to direct every single thing?

Seriously. the worlds of DF are hideously dangerous. All of the time. Everyone capable of using a weapon is necessary. Cultures that denied 50% of their population from one occupation or another would probably die out in short order.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:57:28 pm by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 09:12:02 pm »

The OP's not suggesting "MAKE FEMALES PHYSICALLY UNABLE TO PICK UP WEAPONS," he's suggesting that dedicated militaries favor one gender over another for recruitment. He's not suggesting that Toady remove the ability to arm everyone you've got in a crisis. There is a difference between "dedicated warrior" and "fights in self-defense."

In general, humans have tended to favor males for fighting roles, due to larger overall size, but it is not universal and fantasy races have different proportions.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Varyag1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 02:06:33 am »

HugoLuman
You understood me correctly)

I think that this discussion can be concluded by asking two very simple questions:
What does it add?
Why should Toady spend time on it?

To answer the first one, it adds "Realism", specifically "Realism" in favor of one culture. It doesn't add functionality or atmosphere, so there's not much point to it.
I would appreciate Varyag1's answer to the second question, because I can't think of one.
1. As it adds no functionality ? A defense of offspring in the absence of her husband , who will care for the child ? Both husband and wife in the war on the war , and the child with them , this is absurd )) You can also make less zhekschinu degradability berserk , that the children were not orphans and could protect their potovstvo . Yet female psychology in this plan aims to protect more progeny ( if any) .

2 . As it does not add atmosphere? Adds that zhenzhiny become more feminine , and that it feels as if the game is not talking with a woman and a man. Differences in psychology is still very weak , and sometimes none at all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8