Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: A warrior - male profession  (Read 13484 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: A warrior - male profession
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 02:28:31 am »

Dwarfs are identical in physiology between male and female with the only difference being beards. This is not an uncommon idea in fantasy in general.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 03:34:24 am »

Dwarfs are identical in physiology between male and female with the only difference being beards. This is not an uncommon idea in fantasy in general.
In some settings, not even that.

A designated babysitter eliminates the need for all women to stay home with the baby. In fact, many noblewomen IRL had them so they could get on with ruling and business and things.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Varyag1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 03:58:43 am »

hehe, yes, at the expense of dwarves is hard to argue, as no special facts. In principle against women dwarves warriors, I do not mind too much, as their more muscular physique than human women (approximate ratio dwarves between women and men, I wrote a post earlier).

A designated babysitter eliminates the need for all women to stay home with the baby. In fact, many noblewomen IRL had them so they could get on with ruling and business and things.
And this is the way a good idea. May assume that dwarves culture it may be the norm.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2014, 09:52:43 am »

Set up a Nursery (a hospital-like zone that should be stocked with toys and milk, tended by someone with labor akin to Animal Caretaker) and moms will drop off their little ones at times depending on their personalities.  An impersonal workaholic might never see her baby again, but most are more attached than that.  Militia Mom would get unhappy thoughts from not seeing the tot after months of patrol, and so on.  (BTW, I think Dad should get unhappy thoughts from long bouts of separation, too.)

For bonus points, have Mom hand her kid off to someone else to take to the Nursery (Haul Wounded labor?) while she gets armed and armored.

Of course, if someone modded in Stepford Wives that never take dangerous jobs, there would be no need for a Nursery.  Stepford Wives are decidedly undwarfy.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 07:44:07 pm »

I'm all for castism and speciesism in DF, but it should be an emergent thing in every single world and not enforced. "Men/women/dwarves/tigerfolk are all murderous brutes that can't be trusted with anything they are, you can tell by the way that one person punched the High Potato to death in the age of legends!" Sort of like how westerners hate women because they supposedly nommed apples at some point. If one civilization at some point should decide women are either too bad at stabbing things or too valuable to ram into minotaurs that would add all kinds of depth and character to the world, but enforcing that kind of thing would have the exact opposite effect.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:45:59 pm by Dyret »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2014, 05:51:23 am »

Some simple thing in raws which defines how civilization views female warriors - you could make civs with just male warriors or ones with only female warriors!
Wouldn't you need a thing for how the civ views male warriors to do that properly?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2014, 11:51:26 am »

I'm all for castism and speciesism in DF, but it should be an emergent thing in every single world and not enforced. "Men/women/dwarves/tigerfolk are all murderous brutes that can't be trusted with anything they are, you can tell by the way that one person punched the High Potato to death in the age of legends!" Sort of like how westerners hate women because they supposedly nommed apples at some point. If one civilization at some point should decide women are either too bad at stabbing things or too valuable to ram into minotaurs that would add all kinds of depth and character to the world, but enforcing that kind of thing would have the exact opposite effect.
IN the beginning, each race began in its own garden paradise.  As a test, each was told not to eat from a Forbidden Tree of Knowledge.

• In the Human garden, the female ate from the Forbidden Tree and gave some of the fruit to the male.  Both gained Knowledge but were cast out of paradise.
  • In the Elven garden, the male ate from the Forbidden Tree.  The female, trying to save Elfdom from this disgrace, killed the male and ate his corpse.  She was cast out of paradise (but also got the Knowledge from ingesting the one who ate the fruit).
  • In the Goblin garden, both attacked the Tree for daring to defy them, eating its fruit in celebration and gaining Knowledge.  They were then cast out of paradise.
  • In the Dwarven garden, they cut down the Tree to build a still, never bothering with the fruit.  The eventually went on break and wandered out of paradise with no Knowledge whatsoever.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2014, 04:08:31 pm »

The kobolds entered the garden after all others had left, found it in ruins and with nothing to steal, so they too left.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2014, 08:34:46 pm »

In the Dwarven garden, they cut down the Tree to build a still, never bothering with the fruit.  The eventually went on break and wandered out of paradise with no Knowledge whatsoever.
Wouldn't they have fermented the fruit into cider?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

aattss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2014, 10:54:12 pm »

http://howtofightwrite.tumblr.com/post/51503513091/tip-women-are-not-weaker-than-men

I figured that it would probably be best to put this here.

In addition, I see gender roles as sexist, as they place arbitrary qualities on people. Are you saying that a person wants to stay at home and cook instead of fight on the front lines like a warrior, not because of that person's unique personality, personal responsibilites, or life experiences, but simply because that person is a female? Individuals are more diverse than any sorts of labels may suggest. In addition, even if what you're suggesting is only societal, hardcoding different treatment based off of society is essentially implying that that's how the universe works, and that sexism is perfectly natural.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2014, 11:20:41 pm »

To be fair, it's not hardcoding, it's a raws thing. And it's not like medieval-based settings would be as enlightened as today. However, as said before, in humans, armies preferring males came from the tendency of human males to grow larger, and was not a universal preference. With fantasy races, sexual dimorphism is less pronounced, with dwarves, elves, and possibly goblins of either gender having roughly the same physique. Additionally, in history, most warriors (that is, people who's main profession was war, not people who had other jobs in peacetime) in ancient times were, in fact men, but in many places this was due to aforementioned size differences and not a legal restriction.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2014, 11:24:46 pm »

In-game, all races with entities have no sexual dimorphism whatever outside of facial hair.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2014, 01:37:26 pm »

>Varyag
Lol, I'm not surprised this is posted by a guy from motherland.
(I'm Russian too, no offense)
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2014, 04:31:53 pm »

It's completely fine to think male and female castes should make as good soldiers in the game even if it isn't realistic - there's really no need to spread historical and biological inaccuracy.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Helari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2014, 04:04:41 pm »

Fantasy games have female warriors all around and even irl some women can cut it ok as soldiers (I even know some).  If this really upsets some of you then pause for a moment and think about how there are children being molested out there right now and get your priorities straight.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8