Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: A warrior - male profession  (Read 13459 times)

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A warrior - male profession
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2014, 05:45:53 am »

What i would like to see is an indication that a female is pregnant. I have seen to many soldiers give birth mid-battle to my taste.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2014, 08:28:00 am »

What i would like to see is an indication that a female is pregnant. I have seen to many soldiers give birth mid-battle to my taste.
That could be integrated into the hospital system, perhaps have symptoms listed on the character sheet (bloated abdomen) etc, and if you have medical set up they go and get diagnosed as pregnant and you can activate an alert for that.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2014, 06:39:03 am »

Then we need a new job called "midwife" who would visit the soon-to-be-mothers and help in the "miracle of birth".
In a time before time, I had a name.

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2016, 04:49:37 pm »

The Mayans had a purely matriarchal society for a long time until one of their leaders gave the leadership away to a man and from that point on, they became patriarchal.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2016, 04:58:14 pm »

i'm really not sure that we needed to revive this topic

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2016, 05:30:23 pm »

I'm really sure we don't need to revive this.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2016, 10:35:30 pm »

The Mayans had a purely matriarchal society for a long time until one of their leaders gave the leadership away to a man and from that point on, they became patriarchal.

Not saying we should revive this topic, but you should probably check your source for that idea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_rulers_in_Maya_society
A few isolated examples of female Mayan city-state monarchs appear during the 7th-8th centuries AD, but only as a result of their being no male heir. I can find no source backing up the idea that Mayans were matriarchal before this.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:58:58 pm by Reelya »

dwarobaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2016, 02:18:12 am »

Revived it is... so:

Fantasy races are out of question, you can do whatever you want with them (fantasy humans also). But if humans are based on real species then there is sexual dimorphism and it should be taken into consideration:

- "Females are taller, on average, than males in early adolescence, but males, on average, surpass them in height in later adolescence and adulthood. In the United States, adult males are, on average, 9% taller and 16.5% heavier than adult females."

- "Aggregated data of absolute strength indicates that females have, on average, 40-60% the upper body strength of males, and 70-75% the lower body strength."

- "The difference in strength relative to body mass is less pronounced in trained individuals. In Olympic weightlifting, male records vary from 5.5× body mass in the lowest weight category to 4.2× in the highest weight category, while female records vary from 4.4× to 3.8×, a weight adjusted difference of only 10-20%, and an absolute difference of about 30% (i.e. 472 kg vs 333 kg for unlimited weight classes)"

- "A study, carried about by analyzing annual world rankings from 1980–1996, found that males' running times were, on average, 11% faster than females"

- "Males typically have larger tracheae and branching bronchi, with about 30 percent greater lung volume per body mass. On average, males have larger hearts, 10 percent higher red blood cell count, higher hemoglobin, hence greater oxygen-carrying capacity. They also have higher circulating clotting factors (vitamin K, prothrombin and platelets). These differences lead to faster healing of wounds and higher peripheral pain tolerance."

- "Females typically have more white blood cells (stored and circulating), more granulocytes and B and T lymphocytes. Additionally, they produce more antibodies at a faster rate than males. Hence they develop fewer infectious diseases and succumb for shorter periods."

- "Differences in brain physiology between sexes do not necessarily relate to differences in intellect. Haier et al. found in a 2004 study that <men and women apparently achieve similar IQ results with different brain regions, suggesting that there is no singular underlying neuroanatomical structure to general intelligence and that different types of brain designs may manifest equivalent intellectual performance>"

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2016, 05:51:40 am »

"85% of unsourced statistics put into quotes are total bullshit"

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2016, 06:06:11 am »

Eh, well, some of what he quotes I have seen somewhere.
There are some gender based differences in modern humans, but these might be more to recent changes in evolution.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens is relatively young and we have little data from neanderthal/homo erectus/homo heidelbergensis, to compare it with.
Even less so when we speak about dwarves/goblins/elves, as for this we have virtually no data except for some folk tales :)

One thing in this female bashing topic that is of interest:

- "Aggregated data of absolute strength indicates that females have, on average, 40-60% the upper body strength of males, and 70-75% the lower body strength."

- "The difference in strength relative to body mass is less pronounced in trained individuals. In Olympic weightlifting, male records vary from 5.5× body mass in the lowest weight category to 4.2× in the highest weight category, while female records vary from 4.4× to 3.8×, a weight adjusted difference of only 10-20%, and an absolute difference of about 30% (i.e. 472 kg vs 333 kg for unlimited weight classes)"
I think the culture and the way we raise our children has a great deal to do with that.
How many of you expect your sons to do heavy lifting but prohibits your daughters from doing difficult menial tasks like hammering nails into the wall?

Modern females on average, have little muscles because of that. It was not the case back in middle ages when every able-bodied person worked hard whole day.

And, once girls get to lifting weights and training, this difference in strength falls down to negligible 10% .
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 08:56:43 am by Evans »
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2016, 11:03:01 am »

I found their source.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2016, 07:13:48 pm »

The practice way is to add status caps and let the system decide. But I guess that must have been mentioned before.
For example, random world generator decides if a character is physically suitable for a warrior, he/she has a higher chance to be one.
Then add gender modifiers to the status points in the raw. For humanoids like humans, males have average higher pysical status points than females, on the contrary, female spiders and mantis are much stronger than their male counterparts.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2016, 08:25:36 pm »

The practice way is to add status caps and let the system decide. But I guess that must have been mentioned before.
For example, random world generator decides if a character is physically suitable for a warrior, he/she has a higher chance to be one.
Then add gender modifiers to the status points in the raw. For humanoids like humans, males have average higher pysical status points than females, on the contrary, female spiders and mantis are much stronger than their male counterparts.
There is nothing preventing the sexes from having different stat ranges now.  Hell, they could have different numbers of limbs if you wanted.  The fact that none of the major races have stat-relevant gender dimorphism appears to be a conscious design choice.

(Personally, I'm annoyed that vanilla dwarven females don't have beards... an annoyance that grew into the Appearance Tweaks mod.)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2016, 08:44:01 pm »

Dwarves aren't humans. There's no reason to expect then to follow our norms.

Also, this is a game where you can make a perpetual motion machine using a screw pump and a water wheel.

It's interesting, the violations of presumed reality that people choose to ignore or highlight.

I kind of like the way that dwarves mostly ignore gender and sex, though for some reason I've often imagined them as matriarchal.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2016, 08:46:24 pm »

Perhaps just implement a "no childcare" system into the military: those caring for babies won't go on alert or anything. Also, have a "foist baby on dad" system where if the mother has higher-priority tasks than the father, then she passes the baby to dad.

Another possibility would be to create a type of zone where they do childcare. Then, dwarves assigned to care for others would rotate in and out of the "tend babies" task.

We don't need to worry about a special male-only warrior profession. The fixes I listed would create more interesting stuff going on than that.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 08:48:17 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8