Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 109

Author Topic: Mission 12: The Defense of Hephaestus: Don't taunt the dice.  (Read 207662 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 12: The Defense of Hephaestus: Don't taunt the dice.
« Reply #690 on: March 23, 2014, 04:58:36 pm »

Or, try getting the Armory Master and Doctor into a relationship, inevitably fail, and die horribly.

Or spread rumors that the AM and Milno are in a relationship and that the Doc and Renen are as well :P
((WINNER WINNER CHICKEN GODDAMN DINNER. YOU FOUND YOUR DESTINY, DEVASTATOR!))
((DO EEET! At least the Doc/Renen one.))
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 23, 2014, 07:23:06 pm »

((Or you could piss off Xan and he'll eat you.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 23, 2014, 08:04:19 pm »

((The real question here is who gets his stuff when he dies?))
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 23, 2014, 08:27:01 pm »

((I think "nobody" is a fair solution.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 23, 2014, 08:46:03 pm »

((Or we could sell it for tokens and use it as extra mission payment. That seems fair.))
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 23, 2014, 08:55:52 pm »

((Or we could sell it for tokens and use it as extra mission payment. That seems fair.))
((This gets my vote.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 23, 2014, 09:25:42 pm »

((This gets my vote.))
((Same. Though we could give it to new guys as well, should we so choose.))
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 23, 2014, 09:51:31 pm »

((I vote extra mission payment))
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 24, 2014, 06:36:24 am »

Blastoff! *makes rocket noises*
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 24, 2014, 01:11:49 pm »

Boarding Team "Kappa" (H), mission control - Anton Chernozorov

Keep doing that thing wherein my sods are ordered to board the first available boarding pod and get punted into orbit as soon as the op starts.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #700 on: March 24, 2014, 01:54:19 pm »

Team D - "Dirtbag" - Milno - Last Actions

In case the suit doesn't have them, obtain jacking cables for the MkIII in order to connect it to any ports inside the ships we invade, to infect them with the Steve Virus. Or in case they are necessary anyway.

In case mirrors were obtained, count how many I got and tie one at the end of Emp's metal club.

Cables gotten, mirrors gotten too. Assume you've got 5 of them, square, 4 inches on each side.

Missed me:
Team D Fleshtech, Steve Saint

Dynamic AUX bonus:+/- 1

Quote from: piecewise
How exactly will this program work? Like what will it do, mechanically? Both in terms of gameplay mechanics and in world mechanics.

Response:
Spoiler: in here (click to show/hide)

Action:Go get a tablet from the AM.  Then use AUX bonus to finish the melee combat program thing.  Then go get into Team D's boarding pod.
Do the action I posted two turns ago.
I'm pretty sure I gave you that melee program and pad a while ago.

Thomas unstraps himself and sprays his weaponry, except the gauss rifle, with the light bending paint. He then puts his helmet back on and straps himself back in.
I feel you should have run out of that a while ago.

inspect the can of neotherm miyamoto gave me, how big is it? How long would it last with a spraynozzle attached?
It's, say, about the size of a gallon of milk. How long you can spray it depends on how much sprays out. In this case, it is the size of your nozzle that matters.

But, assume maybe one minute of solid, continuous spray.

You forgot my action again:

Team E

Check what equipment I have and how my ammo is holding out. Go get a few spare clips for the whole team's weapons, including mine, and hand them out, as well as evenly divide the grenades amongst the team too, making sure to remember how many I have and what type. Then strap in and prepare and charge an Aux bonus for when we are going in.

The pod gets stocked with plenty of ammo and you hand grenades out to the team, keeping the odd extra ones for yourself. They're frag and smoke and you've got 1 and 2 respectively.

As per equipment it's probably just whats on the sheet. Your gun, your cables, mkIII, etc.

Can you get me perma-killed, please?  I'd like to not have a character to dwell on my mind anymore.

We'll put you in the "Test subjects" pile. For when another player needs a test subject for something.

Shuttles, a half dozen of them, rise from somewhere in the mountains near by and swoop in low over the battle field. They slow as they approach the waiting teams, reducing speed until they hover a few feet above the ground, but never touching down. As soon as their passengers have boarded they scream back into the sky and off over the surrounding hills and weather worn mountains. The teams inside cannot see where they're going, cannot see the secluded valley or the great pit at it's center. They know nothing of the descent through a mile of solid stone a top a landing elevator. When they are finally herded out of the ships and into a monorail for transport to the loading dock, they see nothing of the enormous electromagnetic coils that warming up behind specially insulated metal shielding several meters thick. They don't see the office complex sized actuators carefully aiming the cannon by adjusting around a central pivot. They don't see the square miles of subterranean cables, blocks of fission reactors or the millions of gallons of coolant circulating through the entire complex like a liquid nitrogen blood flow. What they see are gray metal walls followed by a loading chamber filled with school bus sized gauss shells just waiting for them to enter. The sheer enormity, the incomprehensible force of the weapon and its support structure is hidden from them behind walls of armor, thermal and electromagnetic shielding.

But nothing can hide the noise it makes. They may not be able to see the coils or the generators, but the sound of a small country's worth of energy being condensed all around them is not something that can be missed. It isn't heard, so much as felt, vibrating and resonating in their bones. It is the sound of something of immeasurable size inhaling; a great, expectant roar.

The interior of the pods, despite their great size is extremely cramped, barely big enough for the four pods that are stuffed into the corners of it's tiny, metal tomb of an inside. The pods themselves resemble oversized stasis tanks, tubes of light greenish fluid with waiting wires and nozzles for filling internal cavities with oxygenated PFC fluids. But they are heavily armored and appear to also be filled with automated medical gear.

>You'll excuse the accommodations.  Just keeping you alive at these sorts of G forces is hard, let alone keeping you fighting ready. Assuming, of course, that you do survive the ascent, the pods will attempt to fix any injuries you sustained and then dump you out. The shell itself has to be completely sealed shut and a plug melted into place where the door you entered through is, so you're not getting out the normal way. There are several, already affixed and ready to use laser cutting systems set up on the four walls of the inner shell. Once you've "landed" activate whichever one you think is best and it will cut you a way out. Throw any dead teammates in a working stasis pod and set it for "Suspend" instead of "G-force protection". That should keep them fresh. Alright people, get in your pods.

Once everyone is in place, specifically the by now very familiar place of being naked and floating weightless in a pod of goo, the pods are sealed with orange hot plugs of semi-molten metal and go completely pitch black, save for the slowly dying light of the plug. If they could feel any sort of movement in their pods, the teams would feel themselves being shuttled sideways, then up, then tilted vertically and slotted into place. They'd feel the pod vibrate at the back of a mile long row of coils; the great build up of electrical power enough to shake a 15 ton hunk of metal with even the residual energy from the warmup.  But they can't feel anything but the warm goo around them and the fearful anticipation boiling in their stomach. When the shots come, they go in quick succession, each shell vanishing into the air with an electric hum so low and resonate that it splinters stone and breaks windows for dozens of miles in any direction.

The flight is silent, and, for most, distressingly uneventful. No feelings of acceleration or force, nothing to see in the darkness. Just silent, motionless waiting. But not for all.

Shells A, B and D suffer some degree of malfunction as they are fired; their pods not protecting as absolutely as they should. Pancaek dies almost instantaneously during the firing, his life support systems crushed like an empty sodacan. His braincasing, however, remains intact and switches to preservative mode, keeping his gray matter suspended and ready to be placed in a new body.  Simus receives much the same treatment, her synthflesh body mangled and hemorrhaging white blood, but she remains alive and, if nothing else, capable of communicating.  Morul's leg touches the inside of his tank, and the communicated g-force pulverizes it. The pod immediately amputates it at the hip and forcibly ajoins a new mechanical one.  Xan...well he resembles dogfood now, but his brain is intact somewhere in the mess of blood and pulped flesh.  Milno's spine is partially crushed and his abdomen splits, spilling entrails into the pod. The automated recovery machines knock him out and begin attempting to repair him, but the damage is severe and will take time to be stabilized. Jack and steve simply die, mangled to the point that all the machine can do is preserve their brains. Felix's head is whipped back into the back of the pod, and reduced to paste, killing him instantly. Lerman loses all his limbs except his left arm, and Magilla's odd configuration leaves him torn in two, the machines attempting to keep his unconscious upper half alive.

The shells impact less then a minute after being fired, retrorockets firing at full burn to prevent the shells from simply smashing straight through the ships. Stacy is killed on impact, much like pancaek was on launch. Simus, already loose in her pod, is further injured, left as not much more then a shattered torso with a weak and failing capacity to speak.

>All teams, you have landed. Begin assault. Be advised: if it appears that we are losing, and incapable of taking the ships, I will begin firing on them with the cannons of the sword and the one you just left from using live ammo. This force must be defeated at all costs.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 24, 2014, 02:13:22 pm »

((Wow.  This descriptive writing is why we need to get back to standard missions- this is the area PW shines (and clearly enjoys, given the greatly expanded detail.)

Also, visions of the Damn Dam Mission's landing come through my head.))

Brother Lars:  Team F Chaplain

Lars came out of the pod as best he could, coughing and spitting out stasis fluid.  He grabbed the others and started getting them geared up.  "Let us go, brothers!  For the Glory of Steve, we rise!  Prepare to bring forth the songs of the Pantheon to the nonbelievers!"

As soon as he gets his suit up and ready, he sends out a message to the rest of the group.  "This is Brother Lars of Team G.  We are in position and gearing up."

Suit up and help everyone else get suited up.  When ready, kick off a laser cutter.  Is there any indication of which does what?  If so, find one that appears to be in a hallway.

((So how are we getting radio signals in the middle of a shell meters thick of lead?))
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:06:03 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 24, 2014, 02:15:07 pm »

Team F "Defenders of the Faith."

Get ready to board the ship with Lars.

"Are you ready for this Brother?"
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:06:31 pm by Tavik Toth »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 24, 2014, 02:19:18 pm »

((So how are we getting radio signals in the middle of a shell meters thick of lead?))

It was a prerecorded message playing.

Also, once we know where everybody landed and which teams are on the same ship, I'll decide whether I'll deploy a sod squad yet. So yeah, everyone try to see where they are and which wounded are still combat-capable.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 24, 2014, 02:22:14 pm »

The usual faint smile that Lars sports is replaced now with a wide grin.  "I am fulfilling my purpose.  I am nothing if not ready to fight for Lord Steve!"
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 109