Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 109

Author Topic: Mission 12: The Defense of Hephaestus: Don't taunt the dice.  (Read 207318 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 12: The Defense of Hephaestus: Don't taunt the dice.
« Reply #915 on: April 03, 2014, 06:05:20 pm »

Team D, "Dead Dirtbags" - Milno - Leader - Ship Alpha

Milno's keeping the rifles and keycards.

So how do you want to do this boss? Use one of the cutting laser on it or what? Or is it too late to put on one of these uniforms to try and fool the camera?

"We won't fool anyone. By the way, these dials on your laser rifle." Milno points at the dials. "This one controls diffusion and the other one controls intensity. Remember that. Raising diffusion makes them much more effective at close quarters but you might need to raise intensity as well to keep the punch." he explains, showing how the dials are supposed to work.

He then turns his attention to the camera. "I'll try something."

>How to deal with the cam: Watch the scene for a while; does the camera move or does it keep focused on the door? Does it look removable or movable?
-In case it stays focused on the door and it seems possible to move it, move closer without being spotted by it and then push it until it's facing upwards and away from the door. Wait for a moment. In case it begins to move to its original position or at all, then try using the alien glove to understand and disable it without causing its destruction; if that fails, destroy it through standard means. In case it looks like it won't move any time soon, quickly move on to taking care of the door.
-In case it stays focused on the door but it seems unmovable, then try all the aforementioned methods that do not include moving it.
-In case the camera is moving, then shoot it before it can spot us.
-Make sure to check if there aren't any defense systems around, usually indicated by suspicious marks on the walls and/or ceiling.

>How to deal with the door: See if the door won't just open automatically/with a gentle nudge. In case that doesn't work, then check if any of the keycards work. If none of the cards work, try using the gauntlet to open the door. In case all the prior actions fail and unless there's some very easy way to connect Steve to hack the door open for us (USB-plug style, no Aux rolls), then it's laser cutter time for the door.

When and if we finally get rid of the door, follow the standard procedure.
Standard procedure:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:28:08 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 03, 2014, 07:11:03 pm »

Team A

Right then. Where were we? Oh yes. Steve, how close is the other team to us?

Loot the bodies, in particular looking for key-cards and tools.

Take one of the suits and examine it to try and determine if it has any capabilities beyond 'be air tight' and 'cycle air'. Hook into it with one of the data cables and look at its computer carefully.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:38:48 pm by Kriellya »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 03, 2014, 07:17:10 pm »

Team E

"Oh dear."

Promptly brace myself and the guys with me, using exoskeleton strength. Once the danger has passed, hurry on through and get moving to the bridge!

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 03, 2014, 07:56:54 pm »

Team E - Lerman

((Did it open the airlocks?))

Brace! Then move on to the bridge when the danger's over.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:50:04 am by smurfingtonthethird »
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: April 03, 2014, 08:06:36 pm »

Ship Beta: Team F: Grate

"Aw. There's no way we're gonna get through here and survive. ...You are not going to put me in that room 'to see what happens'."

Backtrack. Blue-brick road this time?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 03, 2014, 08:10:09 pm »

Huh. Thats handy to know. I was wondering what they did, but with my luck, I thought they would blow up the gun or something like that
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 03, 2014, 10:14:27 pm »

Team B

Search for traps, secret tunnels, and loot.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 03, 2014, 10:31:13 pm »

Brother Lars: Team F Chaplain

Brother Lars puts a hand on Grate.  "Hold on, Brother Grate.  We must first pray on this."

He closes his eyes and bows his head.  "Great Glorious Steve, behold the problem before us.  What does this mean?  Will your light shield us if we travel this way, or does your will guide us another way?  Can we stop it with mortal hands?"

Ask if Steve knows what this implies, and if there's a way around.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:58:41 am by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 03, 2014, 11:01:58 pm »

Team C: Audaxes
"Angel. Do you want this weapon? I prefer to use my rifle."
Give Angel the gauss rifle from Miyamoto. Back up, fire at the sods when they get near.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 04, 2014, 10:52:31 am »

Team F

"That doesn't sound good. Orders?"

Watch for enemies while waiting for orders. If any sensible orders are given, follow them.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:00:54 am by Tavik Toth »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: April 04, 2014, 11:21:53 am »

"Prayer, Brother Jack!  Prayer will get us through this!"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #926 on: April 04, 2014, 01:16:12 pm »

TEAM A

Team A

((I'm very very very sorry for any confusion I caused. I will try to make my actions clearer in the future.))

"Wow! That was great man." Flint told Skylar. "You really sell yourself short. That was a great combo."

Strip the men, gag 'em and tie them up with some rope, duct tape or other adhesive I have (or they have in their vehicle).

Check them and their suits for any communication equipment. See if I can hear anything interesting. Don't push any buttons unless what they do is very clear.

Hide them somewhere. (any vents or lockers or empty rooms or haystacks I could shove them in?)

Search for IDs, keys, maps and other useful stuff. Make sure to memorize any names or employment positions I see.

Wear one of their suits, unless Skylar objects while checking their suits. If Skylar doesn't check them, wear one anyway.

If there is nothing to cover the back of the vehicle with, see if I could disassemble my backpack and use the tarp and rope it is made of to cover the flatbed of the vehicle to conceal Skylar and the spare suits.

See if I could drive the vehicle with my guns in reach but hidden.

What I'm asking is, is it like a tractor where stuff wouldn't be concealed by the doors or like a flatbed that offers some more cover?

"Now, let's tuck those guys in and check our booty, shall we?"
(Nah, that was equal parts me and you I think. I just wanted to get that handled so you could actually go back to doing something.)

Right then. Where were we? Oh yes. Steve, how close is the other team to us?

Loot the bodies, in particular looking for key-cards and tools.

Take one of the suits and examine it to try and determine if it has any capabilities beyond 'be air tight' and 'cycle air'. Hook into it with one of the data cables and look at its computer carefully.

(FORGOT TEAM NAME AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)

Strip the men, gag 'em and tie them up with some rope, duct tape or other adhesive I have (or they have in their vehicle).

Heh. 

Their helmets have radios in them similar to your own. There's a bit of com chatter, but nothing that tells you much. It sounds mostly like they're just working on repairing damage from the shells. Probably the Maintenance channel.

You drag the bodies down to the nearest room down the hall and stash them inside. It looks like some sort of decommissioned or maybe under construction control room, but is luckily unoccupied.

The suits have no special qualities; they're basically just more advanced versions of a MK I, thankfully without the heat fins and what looks like a more powerful computer and simpler interface. Flint puts one of them on, giving his MK II to Skylar to carry.

The cart is sorta like this

But without the canopy over the seats.

There's nothing to cover the back with, and your bag can't do it either. Not enough fabric.

You could probably, assuming your guns are relatively small (Rifle sized or so) tuck them under the seat and they would be hidden enough that no one would see them unless they were specifically checking for such things.

Both men have keycards on them. The only tools they have are in a box in the bed of the cart.

TEAM B

Team B: Wild Weasels

"Through the door we hopefully just de-trapped. Hrmmm. Don't open the door yet. Check for more traps or something while I see if we can seal off the rest of the corridor. Having to avoid decompression every time we open a door would get silly, and they'd be able to track our progress by the series of breaches."

Try to find an emergency shutter or something capable of sealing off the rest of the corridor to limit the amount of atmosphere lost. If I do find one, don't activate it.

Team B - Weasel Mantis Sword

Search for traps on the door.

For the murder plots, more a mix of 'godlike being tormenting inferiors' and 'unstoppable, implacable serial killer'.

Team B

Search for traps, secret tunnels, and loot.
Unfortunately all the emergency shutters have been breached by a team of idiots. Bulkhead doors generally serve the purpose of sealing off pressure losses, which they can't do if they're open. I suppose you could go back to the nearest door and seal it back up. That would work to a degree.

The door itself seems no more trapped then any of the others. Then again, being an electronically controlled door, it really wouldn't need any sort of obvious mechanism for telling if it was forced open. It would just be some computer chip hidden in the wall somewhere, probably.

Murder plots would probably involve a large amount of hysterical laughter and the growth of spiked whip limbs or something similar. Unfortunately, killing Jim or Miyamoto is difficult on a logistical level, and killing milno is gonna be hard since the guy is far too paranoid to let you get close to him without some sort of contingency plan. Hmm.

TEAM C

Angel/MGAXT-85674/FR: Team C Audax

Damn I hate fighting observant opponents, permission to engage sir?

Take cover, if there's no cover here settle for dropping prone and open fire at the nearest sod with the laser rifle as soon as the range becomes optimal

Auron, team C.

In celebration of me going to go see captain america later today i shall prioritise using only my shield this turn.

Pull my teammates back around the nearest corner and wait for the sods to get closer.
Once sods are with 15-20 feet of our corner step out with my shield drawn then use my rocket pods to boost into and murder tackle them all simultaneously.

Once boost movement has stopped, charge in and begin shield bashing them into unconsciousness.

If any teammates start typing into manipulators run the fuck away from everyone.

-snip-
((I was going to be reasonable and use my manipulator to kill them, but you've inspired me to try something more risky and fun.))

Denzel Gaunt- Team C, Audax

Should Auron's maneuver work, charge in with my monoatomic sword and start killing sods with it, using my uncon dynamic bonus to assist.

Should Auron's maneuver not work, simply target the group of sods with my Microwave Manipulator, and kill them as efficiently as possible while doing my best to not kill Auron. This also coincidentally happens to use my uncon dynamic bonus. Isn't sticking to one weapon group nice?

((And yes, PW, I did charge an uncon bonus earlier. Between that and my decomp, this action should be fairly safe.

Should. Except if you're Auron.))

Team C: Audaxes
"Angel. Do you want this weapon? I prefer to use my rifle."
Give Angel the gauss rifle from Miyamoto. Back up, fire at the sods when they get near.

[Denzel uncon:4+1]

Well, I'm just gonna assume that Auron, seeing Denzel open his manipulator, decides to go through with his "Get the fuck away from everyone" action and leaps back out into the hall. Denzel then proceeds to boil sod brains until steam vents through their melting sinus cavities. It's a hell of a sound.

Mean while, Thomas and Phoenix hit the dirt and aim down range, ready to fire if Denzel should fail. Luckily he does not. After the sods are all dead, Auron walks back into the room and announces his desire to "Complete an action without fucking space wizards getting in the way and potentially melting his face."

TEAM D

Team D, "Dead Dirtbags" - Thaddeus - Grunt - Ship Alpha

So how do you want to do this boss? Use one of the cutting laser on it or what? Or is it too late to put on one of these uniforms to try and fool the camera?

Take all of that sweet, sweet lucre. Yes, all of it. Unless Milno wants any of it. Stay out of his way if he attempts to do anything with the door. Then follow along behind him/holding on where necessary.

Team D, "Dead Dirtbags" - Milno - Leader - Ship Alpha

Milno's keeping the rifles and keycards.

"We won't fool anyone. By the way, these dials on your laser rifle." Milno points at the dials. "This one controls diffusion and the other one controls intensity. Remember that. Raising diffusion makes them much more effective at close quarters but you might need to raise intensity as well to keep the punch." he explains, showing how the dials are supposed to work.

He then turns his attention to the camera. "I'll try something."

>How to deal with the cam: Watch the scene for a while; does the camera move or does it keep focused on the door? Does it look removable or movable?
-In case it stays focused on the door and it seems possible to move it, move closer without being spotted by it and then push it until it's facing upwards and away from the door. Wait for a moment. In case it begins to move to its original position or at all, then try using the alien glove to understand and disable it without causing its destruction; if that fails, destroy it through standard means. In case it looks like it won't move any time soon, quickly move on to taking care of the door.
-In case it stays focused on the door but it seems unmovable, then try all the aforementioned methods that do not include moving it.
-In case the camera is moving, then shoot it before it can spot us.
-Make sure to check if there aren't any defense systems around, usually indicated by suspicious marks on the walls and/or ceiling.

>How to deal with the door: See if the door won't just open automatically/with a gentle nudge. In case that doesn't work, then check if any of the keycards work. If none of the cards work, try using the gauntlet to open the door. In case all the prior actions fail and unless there's some very easy way to connect Steve to hack the door open for us (USB-plug style, no Aux rolls), then it's laser cutter time for the door.

When and if we finally get rid of the door, follow the standard procedure.
Standard procedure:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The camera moves, though only slightly. It seems to focus entirely on the door and a small area near it. It also looks like it has been wired in.

You wait until it has turned as far toward the door as possible and then rocket in, clinging close to the ceiling until you're in arm's length and then touching it with the gauntlet.

[will:4+1]

In an instant you understand it's workings, and before it can turn far enough to see you, you've altered it to show only a 10 second loop of footage. You land next to the door and try one of the keycards. It works, but the display screen over the keycard reader displays the message of "WAIT...LIFT IN MOTION"

TEAM E

Team E

"Oh dear."

Promptly brace myself and the guys with me, using exoskeleton strength. Once the danger has passed, hurry on through and get moving to the bridge!

Team E - Lerman

((Did it open the airlocks?))

Brace! Then move on to the bridge when the danger's over.

(Blowout soon fellow stalker. When? NOW.)
[unrelated numbers again: 2+1, 3+1, 3+1]

Being inside a ship that suddenly vents it's entire interior is an interesting thing. First you're in one room, holding on to the walls or pipes or anything you can. Then there's a thump as the pressure drop hits and you're somewhere else entirely, holding onto pieces of what it was you were bracing yourself with a minute ago. Then comes several painful seconds of disoriented tumbling and bouncing, hands clawing at the walls and floor, searching for something to hold on to. Bishop catches hold of the edge of a bulkhead doorway and everyone else catches hold of bishop, or someone he's holding on to. For a few more seconds they hang there, suspended by the force of the decompression, until it finally subsides and they're left laying on the ground in absolute, hard vacuum silence.

TEAM F

Ship Beta: Team F: Grate

"Aw. There's no way we're gonna get through here and survive. ...You are not going to put me in that room 'to see what happens'."

Backtrack. Blue-brick road this time?

Brother Lars: Team F Chaplain

Brother Lars puts a hand on Grate.  "Hold on, Brother Grate.  We must first pray on this."

He closes his eyes and bows his head.  "Great Glorious Steve, behold the problem before us.  What does this mean?  Will your light shield us if we travel this way, or does your will guide us another way?  Can we stop it with mortal hands?"

Ask if Steve knows what this implies, and if there's a way around.

Team F

"That doesn't sound good. Orders?"

Watch for enemies while waiting for orders. If any sensible orders are given, follow them.

>It means that passage passes through an unshielded section of the ship near the barrel of the ship's spinal cannon. That cannon is currently charging, so entering that area could pose a danger to electronic and metal components that aren't specifically shielded or restrained. Your best bet would be to either wait until it fires and then quickly move through afterwards, or try to find a different route, our try to find the electrical control area and temporarily shut it down.

TEAM G

TEAM G
Hack the keycard lock
[Aux:6]
Well, you get the door open, but unfortunately this causes the elevator to lock in place a few feet above the doorway.

TEAM H

Missed my action, piecewise.

Hasala Nabin, Team H Mission Control

Just download the map, then. Send it to Teams A and D, as well.
When the support Sod is done with the terminal, the helmetless Sod puts his helmet back on and the squad continues towards the bridge.
You download the map and transmit it out to the rest of the team s on this ship.

According to the map, you've got a few choices how to get to your target. The shortest path goes distressingly near the area labeled "Barracks", while the longer ones take you out of your way and require doubling back or going through areas you could otherwise avoid. Hmm.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 04, 2014, 01:20:03 pm »

This is going nowhere. Morul, if I soften the door will you blow it open with your amps?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 04, 2014, 01:39:51 pm »

Brother Lars:  Team F Chaplain

((So basically it cuts through here.  Gotcha.))

Brother Lars pats Grate on the head.  If he wasn't wearing a suit, he would have ruffled his hair.  "See, young Grate?  Prayer solves all.  We shall find another way around!

Head back to the hallway with the ex-turret and the sign just past, and figure out what Blue and Red lead to.  See if any other passages are identified.

Also keep an eye out for any access terminals that look convenient and accessible.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:41:29 pm by Toaster »

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 04, 2014, 01:49:34 pm »

Team F

"Permission to stay at this door?"
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 109