Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: The Flame's Last Flickers IC  (Read 7452 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
The Flame's Last Flickers IC
« on: February 22, 2014, 02:28:57 pm »

And so fate, laughing merrily, rolls the dice once more...

The seven sit around the old wood table in the knightlodge.

Two are of the tall Earthborn – one in hunter's garb, a sharp sabre at his side and a heavy crossbow over his shoulder. Mostly silent, his piercing green eyes do the talking as often or not.

The other has his stony skin hidden beneath thick black plate. One wouldn't think to look, but he was once a blacksmith. The only sign remaining is the huge hammer – used for pounding only the thickest of steel.

A single Lamia, youth within her features, sits upon her curled tail. She carries no sword, and naivete flickers in her eyes. A runaway – her family of merchants abandoned for the wider world, dangerous as it is.

One of the King of Suthrund's grandsons sits among the company, his copper hair distinctive of his bloodline – the glowing eyes of orange only add to the certainty. Clad in chainmail, he carries no coat of arms to reveal his bloodline, but a single silver signet.

Tall, but short next to the Earthborn, is a lanky man with long black hair. Though he is still now, when he walks he has the swagger of a pirate – a man used to swaying decks and swaying from drink. The cutlass at his waist clears any doubt as to his previous occupation.

A man from the secretive Magi Mechanicos – metal built into his very skin gives him an alien appearance among those around him. The staff beside him – if the implants did not give it away – reveal his nature as a mage.

Finally, a lone Buzkari, emaciated and feeble. The robes it wears are tattered, but the cloak of magic it drapes itself in like a shroud blazes like a beacon to those with the right eyes.

---

The caravan master had been a miser, and the guarding job you all met on has left you with little coin in your collective purses. The knightlodge is a place where questors may rest and the unfortunate, the afflicted, and the hunted may come to make their plea for help. When the lords will not, the people come to the knightlodges, hoping to meet a friendly order that will help them. Many require gold, and most hoping for help offer a reward.

The knightlodge is brightly lit, with a dozen whale-oil lanterns burning merrily, hanging from hooks in the old wooden beams of the ceiling. You are in the northern part of Suthrund in a town named Zandburg – this land is that of dark forests and crumbling castles. The elves lurk in the woods in great numbers and worse than that is rumoured to walk in the night.

You are far from the only ones in the knightlodge – a filthy miner sits in the corner, with the faint look of desperation on his face.  You overheard him earlier, requesting help against some monster in a mine.

A trio of knights from the Forest Brothers are boisterously drinking around a round table, boasting of how they'll slay some beast in Mulgran Wood and collect the bounty. No doubt you could wheedle out more information from the drunken knights.

A troop of mercenaries, smelling the brewing war, occupy several long tables – constantly calling for more ale. With a windfall on the horizon, they would accept more warriors into their ranks, for the bigger sign-on bonus for their leader if nothing else.

The rest are hedge knights - landless wanderers, little different to mercenaries but for a knighthood gained on some distant field. They'd have rumours, as all travelers do, but your purses are too slim to hire any for now, and they would not have work for you.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Flame's Last Flickers IC
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 02:29:13 pm »

For those with magic, you may choose your day's spells.

You may choose as many spells as you have spell slots.

Spoiler: Soul Magic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Divine Magic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Elemental Magic (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:39:44 pm by GiglameshDespair »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 02:29:57 pm »

Players

Balthazar Grinberg, the silent hunter
Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)

Thrunn Flamecaller, the Mechanical Mage

Aras Stoneskin, the Armoured Blacksmith

Kyle Johnson, the sleazy pirate

Adalinda Tamasa, the wandering daughter

Jarund Mycaeros, the adventurous royal

??, the mysterious insect

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:38:54 pm by GiglameshDespair »

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 03:59:26 pm »

((Gonna go with... Guarding Cinders, Flameblast, Tinderspark, Smokeburst, and Firewall for my spells.))

Thrunn looks about, before glancing back to his companions, "This unit is anxious to be on the move again. Sitting around does not help progress this unit's task."

((Blergh, been a while since I've done anything RP-ish. Gonna take some time to get back into the groove. e-e))

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 06:05:40 pm »

"So what shall we do? I don't like all this sitting-around either. The world is moving, we should not stand still."
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:27:46 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 07:16:53 pm »

((I'll go with Unnatural Vigor, Consolidate remnants, and Bleed.))

Kyle looks towards the miner and mercenaries.
"Well mate, I would find helping that miner an interesting change of pace but... I'm no stranger to working around mercenaries.

Kyle chuckles as he thinks of something.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 07:30:11 pm »

"Why not. I've yet to meet a monster that didn't react to a bolt in its head. Any objections?"
Balthazar starts getting up to go talk to the miner.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 07:42:59 pm »

((Sunshock Spear and Shockblade.))

Fingering his signet ring, Jarund looked up. "You'll hear none from me. Those mercenaries will not remain here forever, though. If they are still here when we return, I would that we spoke to them, at least." He stood up to follow Balthazar over to the miner's table.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 07:46:47 pm »

Kyle's eyes drift to the ring calculating values before drifting away noting it would not be worth it no matter how much it was. He gets up to follow the other two swaggering as he goes.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 07:53:07 pm »

Jarund notices the pirate's eye. "Touch it and it will be your head, knave. This ring is of far more personal worth than monetary." Jarund scowled, and waited until Kyle had passed before following.

((My preciousss.))
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 07:54:41 pm by swordsmith04 »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 07:56:47 pm »

"I noticed. If it was valuable I would have said something."
Kyle walks past.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 07:59:08 pm »

Thrunn glances at the miner, his artificial eye whirring and clicking, before getting up to follow Balthazar, Jarund, and Kyle,  "This unit is willing to help the miner. Any potential lead must be followed."

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 08:03:24 pm »

Jarund, caught between wanting to let the matter drop and voicing indignation, mentally sighs, and goes with the former.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 08:38:18 pm »

As Balthazar arrives at the miner's table, he stands still for a moment to take a good hard look at the man. Then he begins to talk: "We can help with your trouble, if you'll hire us. Payment will be determined after we've evaluated the situation. Is there any relevant information you haven't yet talked about?"

((EDIT: He does this after the discussion, of course...))
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:28:56 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 08:42:05 pm »

Spoiler: Buzkari (click to show/hide)

The hooded insect sits, quietly listening. As the assassin leaves the table, he speaks. His voice comes out as a thin rasp, punctuated by coughing.
"I do not take pleasure in the idea of... serving in a human army, especially if it is fighting other human armies"
"However"
"We would be well served to... pursue all avenues... especially if they may be near one another.
"Why not talk to all three? We need not make promises."

He ends in a bout of weak coughing, as he settles into his cloak.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 12:57:54 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9