Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: The Flame's Last Flickers IC  (Read 7453 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: The Flame's Last Flickers IC
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2014, 08:09:02 am »

"The mine job is not... paid per member, unfortunately, so be not offended when I say we shall... not be needing your help.

"I am pleased to... make your acquaintance, Gunall"
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:32:05 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2014, 01:50:24 pm »

PTW for now.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2014, 04:57:12 am »

Aras strides towards the Ferrikan, head reaching up to the man's chest despite him being on horseback. With only a slight tilt of the head, he looks into his eyes through the slits in his helm.
'It is an Elrikarn we face. As such a..... mighty monster hunter, I am sure you will know what that is.'
He starts to walk away, the horse flinching slightly at the sound on his steps.
'Delay us no longer with your pettiness. We have a job to do.'
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2014, 09:28:14 pm »

Gunall nervously starts at the greeting from UB, and nods back. "Greetings, Buzkari. P-pleased to make your acquaintance." His voice does not have the grinding accent of the Ironhearts, but the softer vowels of the Suthrunder people.

Irudune, for his part, wastes not time in turning his horse around and beginning to trot off down the road. Gunall starts again to follow him.

Time passes as you travel down the uneven road. It was once paved, but peasants have stolen many stones for their houses, and grass grows freely in many spots. The land around you turns from flat fields of wheat and barley, nervous peasants standing watch near villages and hold-fasts, into wilder forests. Brambles sprout in clusters along side the road, and there are little signs of living people. The few you pass on the road are wary and well armed.

You have little conversation on the road - despite the tiles, the lack of maintenance means it is not particularly easy going. It would be much easier mounted - a surefooted horse would make things significantly easier. The two ironhearts keep their distance ahead, far enough to discourage conversation. Occasionally, Gunall will look back at you nervously.

When you stop for the night, the caravan's attack site not yet reached, a traveller appears out the darkening twilight. You make a large fire, to stave off the cold and the beasts of the night. You know there are worse than wolves in these woods. The Forest Brothers assist, and sit quietly together, sharing dried meat. You hear the grinding voice of Alarune, and the smoother of Gunall, but it's too quiet to casually catch more than the occasional word. You could probably try to listen in, though. Yorkin has already passed out near the fire and is snoring loudly. If the flames don't keep the beasts off, the sawing rasp of the sleeping miner certainly might.

The traveller is dressed warmly in a thick cloak over a chainmail byrnie. Little can be seen under his hat than a thick mustache and large beard - the wide brim shadows his eyes and face. He carries a glaive carried over a shoulder and a shortsword buckled at his waist.
"There a space by your fire, travellers?" he calls, stopping a short distance away. "It's not good country for a man on his own, so I'd appreciate it greatly to share in your light."
The two Forest Brothers glance over, but Alarune nods his head in your direction and they return to conversation. Hmm. Seems they're leaving the decision to you, or they've already accepted him. Either way, you have a chance to reply to the stranger. You could also take some other kind of action if you wished.

Spoiler: ??? roll (click to show/hide)

----

Spoiler: GM notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:06:30 pm by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2014, 09:36:07 pm »

Kyle nods.
"There is no reason not to let you stay."

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2014, 09:52:43 pm »

Thrunn hesitates, and looks at the new-comer, his artificial eye playing a beam over him, "This unit is hesitant to allow another into the group, as it would increase the drain on resources. But this unit will abide by the group's decision."

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2014, 09:53:16 pm »

Jarund frowns at the man. "Who are you, stranger? Why are you travelling this road alone, and at night?"

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2014, 10:05:54 pm »

The stranger spreads his hands, making no move to come closer. "I was travelling this way, and happened to see your fire. Any man with a flame is a friend, these days. Thought it best to hope for a group to stay with than to sleep on my own. I would trust one of the Mycaeros family any night to guard my back."

He addresses Thrunn. "Have no fear, Mechanicos. I have my own rations, and I am willing to share. I caught a fine brace of rabbits earlier, and the beasts are always best when shared around around a fire."

----

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2014, 10:18:47 pm »

"You come from the way we do. How come you didn't approach before?"

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2014, 10:42:33 pm »

"Yes, I'm sure you would. I can't help but notice you didn't actually answer my questions. I'd like answers before we decide if we let you rest by our fire."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2014, 12:05:53 am »

UB, who up until recently had been attempting to overhear the conversation from the Forest Brothers, shrugs.

We have no gold, so are not worth robbing; and did not... think to hunt, and so shall soon feel... hunger. I... have...
... It's fine

Despite his words, he surreptitiously casts an eye upon the surrounding forest for any unwelcome friends the traveler may have brought along with him.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2014, 12:46:09 am »

Spoiler: Perception (click to show/hide)

The stranger replies with an easy tone. "I hadn't seen you ahead until I saw the light of the fire, and thought to catch up. My eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be, but they still see the fire easy enough."
He drops into a deep, old-fashioned bow. "My name is Karm. Just a simple wanderer, walking the roads till these old bones give up the ghost." Amusement creeps into his tone for the last few words. "And have no fear, Buzkari. I have no brigand allies hiding in the woods to fall upon you."

He laughs, a rich, jovial sound.

"No, have no fear at all. I'm not a robber or a thief, and if I was, I'd stand no match against nine opponents by myself."

----

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:47:51 am by GiglameshDespair »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2014, 01:40:06 am »

The Buzkari gives a simple nod in reply and moves away from the group, sitting with his back to the fire.
It seems pretty clear that he plans to take the first watch.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2014, 06:53:04 am »

Jarund hesitates for a second, then nods.

He'll be sleeping lightly tonight.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2014, 06:56:28 am »

Balthazar looks into the forest, seeking what the others could not find, and then begins a conversation with the traveller.
So wherre do you come from, and why do you travel this road? And you travel [beat] alone, too, so you'll understand my curiosity.

He does not plan to sleep much tonight and will keep his crossbow loaded. Also, second watch.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9