Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35

Author Topic: The Greatest Battle of Orbfalls: Day 6: Game Over, Town victory!  (Read 54066 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
The Greatest Battle of Orbfalls: Day 6: Game Over, Town victory!
« on: February 22, 2014, 10:37:14 pm »

It should have been just a normal night.  The goblins had been driven off, a kobold ambush crushed by a single soldier.  There was nothing to threaten the dwarves of Orbfalls, or so they thought.
The Representative of the Metalworker’s guild wandered the halls of the fortress, admiring the brilliant architecture wrought by the dwarves of the fortress.  He passed through the dining hall, greeting the few dwarves still drinking their booze or nursing hangovers.  His destination was the same as always: the massive, obsidian gates that guarded passage to the fortress.  Caravans from around the world came to the fortress just to see the gates, and they were not disappointed.  20 feet tall, wrought from pure adamantine, they were a sight to behold.  His path would take him there, as it did every night, at this time.

From the shadows, another dwarf watched the guildmaster with interest.  His crossbow sat next to him, a poisoned bolt already prepared to fire.  His companions should be in position any minute now.  This was the night that the world would remember, the time when dwarven society changed forever.

Something caught the guildmaster’s eye, and he turned his attention to something he had never seen before.  A lantern was hung out of place, as if the socket had recently been inserted.  He frowned: what purpose would such a thing hold?  From behind him, there came a low-pitched whistle.

The whistle.  That was the signal.  With a practiced motion, the dwarf snatched up the crossbow, took aim, and planted a bolt in the back of the guildmaster.  As he slumped to the ground, two more bolts struck home, and the assailants scattered, fleeing for the safety of anonymity.

Hello, and welcome to The Greatest Battle of Orbfalls: A Tale of Treachery and Mafia.

This is a fairly nonstandard mafia setup, with custom roles and a new lynch system (which were reviewed by Webadict and Mephansteras).

The game has thirteen players, of which 3 are traitors.  The loyalists win when all of the traitors are incapacitated, and the traitors win when all of the loyalists are incapacitated.  The traitors have a nightkill and are the mafia of this setup.

Spoiler: basic rules (click to show/hide)

Now for the special rules:
The roles:
Mayor
Broker
Manager
Bookkeeper
Hammerer
Captain of the Guard
Chief Medical dwarf
Militia Commander
2x Militia Captains
Mason's Guild Representative
Carpenter's Guild Representative

These roles are not tied to a particular alignment: any role could be any alignment.

And most importantly: the lynch rules:
Voting for who to "lynch" proceeds as usual.  However, upon day end, the game enters a special "twilight" phase.  The twilight phase lasts 24 hours, or until I have all of the votes for choice of punishment.  The votes are secret, and the thread will be locked during both the twilight and night phases.
There are three choices for punishment: a beating (flips loyalty and removes the player from the game for a turn), jail sentence (flips loyalty and removes the player from the game for two turns), and hammering (death, and loyaltyflip as an aside).  Absence for a turn means missing the immediately following night and the next day night cycle, absence for two turns removes the player from the game for the next night and the next two day night cycles.  While removed from the game, the player cannot be targeted and cannot post in the thread or any chats they may be in.

This is a semi-open setup: the abilities of the roles will not be revealed at the start of the game to anybody but the holder of that role. (I will, however, spill the beans at the end).

That being said, I went through painstaking measures to ensure parity between the sides, consulting with two veterans and running simulations.  So, who's up for a game of dwarf fortress mafia?

Players:
MastahCheese Died Night 2, Town Hammerer
Caz Pufferfish Died Night 4, Scum Militia Captain
TheDarkStar Town Mason's Guild Representative
Persus13 Serial Killer Militia Captain
Tiruin Town Mayor
Deathsword Town Captain of the Guard
Imperial Guardsman Beaten Twilight 1, Town Manager
Tawarochir Jailed Twilight 2, Town Militia Commander
Flabort Died Night 2, Town Broker
WhitiusOpus Jailed Twilight 4, Scum bookkeeper
Jiokuy Died Night 2, Town Carpenter's Guild Representative
SuperBlackCat Beaten Twilight 3, Jailed Twilight 5, Scum Chief Medical Dwarf
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:37:42 pm by 4maskwolf »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: The Greatest Battle of Orbfalls: now in signups (0/13)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 12:37:46 am »

IMPORTANT NOTE: the game will likely not start until one of the two big games currently active (Smstr W/ Love and The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly) is over, so if you are playing in one of those games this one will not interfere with playing in the other(s).
Well, that's awesome to hear! Count me In.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: The Greatest Battle of Orbfalls: now in signups (0/13)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 08:58:20 am »

In

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Greatest Battle of Orbfalls: now in signups (2/13)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 12:29:28 pm »

And if anyone has any questions or concerns, feel free to ask or bring them up, and I'll answer.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Greatest Battle of Orbfalls: now in signups (2/13)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 03:22:19 pm »

This looks like an interesting set-up. In.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: The Greatest Battle of Orbfalls: now in signups (3/13)
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 08:25:43 pm »

In for me.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: The Greatest Battle of Orbfalls: now in signups (3/13)
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 09:23:44 pm »

...In
...?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: The Greatest Battle of Orbfalls: now in signups (5/13)
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 10:03:15 am »

In for great justice.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 06:59:40 pm »

Out of curiosity, Deathsword, how long have you been around and how experienced would you say you are?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 08:59:04 pm »

Out of curiosity, Deathsword, how long have you been around and how experienced would you say you are?
In the forums or in the mafia sub-board? I joined the forums mid-2010 and the mafia board at May 2012.

As for how experienced, I really dislike such questions in that I doubt my own capacity to provide a non-biased answer. I have been around for some time, played quite a few games, player quite well in some, horribly in others. So certainly not a newbie.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 09:01:33 pm »

In the forums or in the mafia sub-board? I joined the forums mid-2010 and the mafia board at May 2012.

As for how experienced, I really dislike such questions in that I doubt my own capacity to provide a non-biased answer. I have been around for some time, played quite a few games, player quite well in some, horribly in others. So certainly not a newbie.
I didn't think you were a newbie at all(you were a scum IC, after all), I was trying to gauge the experience level of my players.  Sorry about the second question, I didn't realize you dislike such things.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: The Greatest Battle of Orbfalls: now in signups (6/13)
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 10:33:58 am »

In

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 05:13:08 pm »

Well, I've been looking for a Mafia game to get into, and I didn't want to start one myself, so...

I'm in!

Excited, although I wish the games could be faster-paced. Ah well!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 05:54:17 pm »

Well, I've been looking for a Mafia game to get into, and I didn't want to start one myself, so...

I'm in!

Excited, although I wish the games could be faster-paced. Ah well!
Have you played a game before? I haven't seen you around much.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35