Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Tactical Dungeon Crawler: resuming updates soon: asking questions  (Read 11187 times)

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend

UPDATE2: Recovering and retooling for resumed activity soon

Working title: Project ARD  (A Random Dungeon-crawler)
Website (work in progress): www.starwatergames.com
Forums: www.starwatergames.com/phpBB3

So after working on and off on my exploration game I decided I was getting too bogged down with it and needed to make something simpler, and 2d, and go back to it later (and it also doesn't help I'm busy all the time too).  Thus, this is what I'm going for: a sort of 'Tactical' Dungeon crawler.

Basically, here is what I am working off of, with a twist: old style dungeon crawler games, like say, Arcana
http://www.gamespite.net/img/wiki/games2/spot_g10-arcana.gif
Or more recently, Legend of Grimrock (but of course nothing that fancy, and I want it turn based)

The main difference I want though: the ability to split your party and do more fancy things.  In these games, you are basically
stuck as your '4 man' group the entire time.  You can't lock down a door with your fighter, or split off your rogue to go trapping,
or use someone as a distraction while your mage powers up a fireball to clear a room, etc.  This is what I want.

However, I don't want to go 'full hog' like a full blown tactics game, I still want it to be a dungeon crawl.  (Too far would be dnd tactics, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYQHF2kUGw).  I also want to preserve the party elements, where you can stack your characters onto each other and fight as a team too, while supporting each other.

I am sorta partial to some more hardcore elements as well (like unit permadeath, see the Wizardry series), but don't want to necessarily always throw your entire progress down the drain.  I also like the idea of main characters and some story driven stuff as well. So, heres my compromise: your party consists of 1 hero and 3 mooks.  If you die in a dungeon, your hero gets somehow saved, and a small portion of your wealth and items, but everything else is lost.  Heros are also always revivable, while mooks can more or less die in the most gruesome ways possible.  Also for the trope of it: Heros cant wear helmets.  Go go plot armor.

I sorta plan for managing more than one party later, but right now I'm focused on just getting a working prototype.  Heres my prototype goals:

Game:
Single hero class/character, 2 types of mooks (Knight and Mystic aka tank and healer). Party creation screen. Stats.
Dungeon exit to town which heals and brings back creation screen, no selling/gold or anything
3 dungeon levels, 3 monsters + 1 boss monster/encounter.  2 wall tile types and 4 floor types.
4 equipment slots (helmet, chest, left hand, right hand) with 3 options on each.
Display of portraits and characters, text.  Combat options selecting.
Splittable and groupable party, and party facing.  Tile view distance.
Monster spawns and movement/combat. 
Simple victory condition / end of game. Simple loss condition: back to town with main char and need to recreate party

Media:
Simple logo (done), titlescreen(have placeholder), 4 screen intro (have placeholder), char creation screen,
Dungeon tiles (ph part), Character portraits, Unit sprites (ph part), victory screen, loss/recreate screen
No animations.

Other:
www.starwatergames.com and www.starwatergames.com/phpBB3 
Need basic website architecture done: Looking into Joomla right now
Miniblog: want to do weekly updates, will be on website and on this thread, attempting to do either Sunday or Saturday updates.
Forums: Setup but need to do more custom stuff and some strong spam prevention because I don't want to ever get bogged down having to clear shit.

Weekly progress, in gifs/images
Week 1:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Week 2:
Week 3:
Week 4:
Week 5:
Week 6:
Week 7:
Week 8:
Week 9:
Week 10:
Week 11:
Week 12:
Week 13:
Week 14:
Week 15:
Week 16:
Week 17:
Week 18:
Week 19:
Week 20:
Week 21:
Week 22:
Week 23:
Week 24:
Week 25:
Week 26:
Week 27:
Week 28:
Week 29:
Week 30:
Week 31:
Week 32:
Week 33:
Week 34:
Week 35:
Week 36:
Week 37:
Week 38:
Week 39:
Week 40:
Week 41:
Week 42:
Week 43:
Week 44:
Week 45:
Week 46:
Week 47:
Week 48:
Week 49:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 07:35:23 pm by Moghjubar »
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: Tactical Dungeon Crawler
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 10:49:58 pm »

I like the idea. Dungeon crawlers are fun, and tactics are fun, so if you want playtesters, I could playtest a bit.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 05:10:09 pm »

You might want to get some ideas on the "team crawler" part from the Monster's Den flash games ;)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 07:48:00 pm »

I thought Monster's Den was kind of bad. People liked it, but it felt like this horrible grind to death and excessive inventory management.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 05:57:37 am »

it felt like this horrible grind to death and excessive inventory management.
Ths grinding part may come from the lack of real scenario, and the interface didn't help with the inventory management.
Clmearly, I agree on tobth those points, but as far as combat goes, it was not really bad.
One thing I personally didn't like in it was the fact that the AI was too randomy. If the anemies (luckily) focused on one of your unit it could die before any of your characters could act. That came also from the random part of the combat system, and the low defences of "not tank" characters...

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 11:05:46 pm »

Looked at Monster's Den, not the vibe I want really.

Anyway, week 2 progress updated: Basically failed at websiting + lost progress on it due to host issues (they finally back up at least), then got sound and music implemented from free sources (http://www.nosoapradio.us/  and http://ucollective.org/ for music, and sounds from http://www.bfxr.net/ ). Some basic text stuff done, and party creation started.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 12:40:47 am »

Week 3 progress updated.  Didn't put too much time due to being busy/testing other stuff (and the occasional fascination with the continuing group train wreck Twitch Plays Pokemon is).

Basically some minor display stuff with default stats and portraits, minor messing with SDL_TTF some more and another font, and started party mechanics and display (though haven't actually got that part done yet).

Once I get party display and tile movement/collisions down I'll probably actually design a small dungeon level to mess around with for later.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 10:45:39 pm »

Week 4 progress updated.  Still managed a little bit of work at least, yay!  Did some cheap n quick spriting, some facing logic, basic movement and tile collisions, etc. 

Now working on dungeon level loading and making an initial testing dungeon to play around with for the rest of the mechanics.  Will get the basics done with one party before working on splitting it up and the more tactical elements.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 10:14:21 pm »

Week 5 progress updated.  Did some basic tile work and art and mapping basically, as well as saving and loading of levels.  Line of sight and mapping in progress.  Will do basic turns/party speed and a basic monster object next.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 03:05:03 pm »

Looks interesting! PTW.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 03:16:19 am »

Week 6 progress updated.  Barely did anything constructuve, just barely got interactable objects working (basically, doors: variable sizes/locations too).  Starting some refactoring now to put things together that need to be together, so its less of a pain later. 
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 12:59:06 am »

Week 7 progress updated, still just barely getting any coding done but at least getting something still.  Refactored some stuff, started some proper object inheritance, and added a quick treasure chest object and a slime. 
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 10:50:09 am »

I would like to help if you want any.
I can do sprites or draw (albeit not particularly well, but I can do and old-schoolish b&w thing)

Regardless, awesome idea, will be following.

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 11:54:22 pm »

Week 8 progress updated.  Basically, got multiple stacks started, and very basic enemy movement / AI started, and a cheap unit.die() on interact to test with.

On the art offer, I appreciate it but its not really much concern until I get a full prototype done.  Then if I want to go further, I'll probably need anything and everything (classic crawler: sprites, portraits, effects, ui, etc). Will need to wait and see.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 12:03:29 am »

definitely. cool.  been looking up occasionally, so heres an official post to watch.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5