Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Tactical Dungeon Crawler: resuming updates soon: asking questions  (Read 11196 times)

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Re: Tactical Dungeon Crawler
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 02:22:39 am »

Week 9 progress updated. Did some basic stack work: unstacking and restacking, stack control selection, etc.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 02:21:21 pm »

Week 10 non-progress updated.  Basically didn't do much (finished a game on the back burner: Borderlands) while agonizing how to do turns, AI, etc.

Basically, I was thinking each unit gets a speed stat, and a Turn Units stat, and when the TU hits 1000, that unit gets to go.

However, I need to deal with multiple units in a stack, so I was wondering whether or not to roll the TU into the stack itself and have everyone go at the same time.  Theres some inherent problems doing it that way though, since if you have someone using a big weapon and maybe having an attack that is -800 TU, vs someone using daggers thats -400 TU, or various things, then the costs basically get averaged out and the stack doesn't get a real party dynamic feel (like say, a rogue getting turns quicker and whatnot, and having to wait for the entire stack to be ready just to split off potentially faster units).

So right now, trying to deal with keeping TU to an individual basis, but looking at ways to try and keep the movement of the stack smooth instead of having a bunch of individual turns pop up and queuing up delays just so you can press 'forward' and move as a group, which should be inherently smooth.  Hard to see exactly how its going to work in the end so just going to put something simple for now and go from there.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 04:01:14 pm »

Week 11 slight-progress updated.  Finally started into it and got some turn units structure started, and got basic AI prototyped but non-functional yet.  Nothing truly functional yet but getting close.

Finally got website back up as well, and poked at joomla a tiny bit.  I'm really considering using Ruby on rails though, and had someone learning it that I might pay em to design me a website later (and I guess if all else fails, I got it working already on my end and I'd have to poke at it myself) so in any case I likely will just get it barely functional in the end.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 02:56:30 am »

Week 12 progress updated.  Got at least something actually done this week: basic turn manager working now.  Works by accumulation of Turn Units up to 1000, 1000TU = action, and (current working solution) if anyone in the party has 1000TU, the party can move.  As this could lead to some weirdness with differing speeds (TU tick += speed) and varied attack speeds and whatnot, I'm looking into ways to change this without making it too clunky.

Before I go back to doing AI and stuff, I think I'll actually make some basic attacks so the stacks can trade blows and whatnot (just going dead on interact isn't interesting enough).  May do some display work as well.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 09:46:30 pm »

You need an artist? I'm between jobs right now and itching for a project to get involved in.
What I'd really like to do is try my hand at pixel art - if that's a style you're into.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 09:34:08 pm »

Week 13 progress updated: Got a little amount of work on abilities done, then had to do Hazeron stuff... and then my computer crapped the hell out and I'm working on it now instead of programming :/

Anyway, bucket, I probably do need an artist (or 'Art', loosely) later, but right now its just basic prototype stuff.  Let me at least get a bit more of the basics done first before that please.

If you want ideas on my 'basic monsters' though, heres whats going to be in prototype:
Slimes
Wolves
Skeletons
Minotaur (as boss)

I'm going pretty basic for now, so not really a lot to do.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 09:40:52 pm »

Week 14 updated: new hard drives in, everything over, nothing exploded, yay!

Did some textbox work so my logging would work better: trimming and use of newlines, better bounding of boxes, etc.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 08:04:47 pm »

Week 15 non-progress updated: Barely a few lines of code toward a command selection box, and mostly vegged out playing games due to no sleep and lots of work doing other crap/being too tired to code.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 05:36:07 pm »

Week 16 non-progress updated: Didn't do anything due to getting an opportunity to play tabletop again (using a gametable) and instead made a simple character creator for Only War, which you can find here if you are interested: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42635636/OnlyWarCharCreator.exe
(hardcoded regiment atm, I may update it later at times but likely won't mention any updates to it).
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 11:56:15 pm »

Very nice. I'll be watching this.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 09:06:01 pm »

Week 17 non-progress updated: too much outdoor/misc shit and had to do extended troubleshooting thru weekend so didn't get much done other than jotting some notes down on how defense usually sucks in rpg games, and how status effects are lackluster / not for players to use, only to get used on, etc.

Once I get this shit done outside I need set some time during the week to catch up, just weekends isn't cutting it due to all the shit being lumped together / bleeding into each other.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 09:03:41 pm »

Week 18 slight-progress updated: did a small amount of function overlook and sketched a few things out, but didn't get really enough done to have anything to show for it.  Still running on low sleep and doing projects around house/outside, just some hammering and caulking to do now (and moving stuff back into a repaired building) and that one will be done at least.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 08:48:22 pm »

Week 19 slight-progress updated: managed to get my menu ui displaying at least, and starting to wind down outdoor/other stuff so hopefully be less tired and have more time now.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2014, 09:02:07 pm »

Week 20 non-progress update: Storm happened, outdoor stuff wrecked (and its almost a good thing cause now its outta my hands), exhaustion plus errands plus random crap = no progress this week.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 01:40:02 am »

Week 21: had a free weekend after a tough week so decided to game and make up for it the next day, then the next day hit me in the face but I decided to hack something together anyway and got portrait and hp bar displaying for current active unit, did more poking around with menu stuff, and planning drawing similar things to a mouse-over / selection of another stack so you can inspect.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:45:24 am by Moghjubar »
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5