Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Tactical Dungeon Crawler: resuming updates soon: asking questions  (Read 11200 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Tactical Dungeon Crawler
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2014, 01:10:33 pm »

Nothing to add except keep it up!

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2014, 07:57:28 pm »

Week 35 updated: not much done due to Grimrock 2 and various... other things this week.  Did more work on shops, decided to stop feature creeping a few things (save till full game loop and prototype done at least), etc.

Thanks for the support guys, my main problem has really just been being able to get time to focus long enough to get any real programming done (or forcing myself to program when I have free time but feel like shit and just want to game/watch stuff/veg) but I'm still definitely getting there. 
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2014, 09:10:31 pm »

Week 36 updated:  More work on the buy/sell thing to just get it working, then did vision and exploration in dungeons (though have a few loose ends there).  Also threw the slimes/npcs onto an AI controller, though all they do is delay right now and let you murder them.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2014, 09:38:25 pm »

Week 37 updated: Not a whole lot, but got basic AI roamer script designed (doesn't truly function yet though) and now fleshing out a proper event system and unit action queue.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2014, 11:14:04 pm »

Week 38 updated: other than some minor eventing done for the party, I basically vegged out this week and played (er, researched, yea thats it) Shining Force 3 (I took notes, so it counts right?). 

Quick overview and thoughts: game has some elements that haven't aged well, but I still like the feel of it.  I absolutely hated the random-stats on level up thing now though, as it basically encourages save-scumming in order to get a perfect character (or in some cases, just a character that doesn't suck).  The AI was meh but at least had some interesting events (and otherwise normal patterns: CHARGE, FORM UP, ADJUST, etc).  The weapon skills thing was interesting, and simple; it certainly was no Disgaea.  Weapons also had a sort of rock-paper-scissors thing going on, and certain characters had both ranged and melee weapons they could swap between in the very, very limited inventory space (4 slots, a spare weapon takes 1 slot so anything you bring better count).  While I kinda like this limited space, it sucked at times because you find items on the battlefield and if you had no inventory space they were gone for good (so better make the person with space open kill the final boss, or find the secret on the map (which was plenty annoying at times in a system where you cant go back and search)).  The friendship system seemed almost non-consequential, but it did seem interesting at least (hit something someone else hit, or heal someone to get points, people grant minor stat boosts when near a friend: hard to take advantage of unless you basically stack up in a wall).  Also... extreme hatred for hiding incredibly valuable things in town barrels, or a shelf, or a goddamn rock in a corner of the town... ugh (the 3d-effect / camera moving and the way the menu came up if you didn't find anything when pushing a button to search made this even worse)

My take: Limiting space can be good, but limiting acquisition sucks: make sure people have opportunities to grab stuff later (and since its a persistent dungeon crawler I'm making its essential anyway more or less) or stow stuff they find immediately (which reminds me, while Grimrock (1 &2) was more in person and in depth, sorting thru all the shit you found and having to drag it all to storage piles where you have to pick up and move shit around to find anything also sucked.... and you were SOL if you dropped a key somewhere in a corner and forgot it!).   Any AI worth its salt also needs to assume ranged weapons exist.   Weapon skills were sort've planned anyway, this is just more fuel for the fire.  I don't exactly plan on friendship junk but I can certainly do straight up buffs on stack-up and proximity (and I can make more interesting options here since I can do things for both stacked and non-stacked strategy).  I still need to figure out a leveling system that works in the long run, but random stats seems like not the way to go: I want characters to be something you build up, not something you get lucky with (or just reset over and over till you do).  Since I plan for mooks to be killable, I also need something that lets you get new ones up to speed quickly as well, so I'll have some sort of checkpointing based advancement options (or straight leader ability or shared xp or something to do with the bones of the old character, etc). 

Whew.  Anyway, maybe this week I'll finally finish that event thingy eh?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:17:31 pm by Moghjubar »
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2014, 05:23:10 pm »

Will you be releasing a map editor so people can make their own levels?

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2014, 03:00:07 am »

Week 39 updated: still didn't manage to do much this week, stayed up late today and did some more event work and almost got it all done and then got some dumb crash bug to figure out so my AI can actually work and roam around :/

As for a map editor, right now I'm using a simple in-game one to change tiletypes.  For a fully fleshed stand-alone one, most definitely not in prototype (I know, longest prototype ever by now, but I'm sticking with the definition till I can really test the gameplay), but I'll probably make one later though.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2014, 04:33:08 am »

Ptw

Ambidextrous

• Bay Watcher
  • Actually no, not really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2014, 06:50:54 am »

PTW

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2014, 09:35:35 pm »

Week 40 updated: finally got the AI moving around proper except for the fact that its pretty dumb and cant even truncate actions properly so it wastes cycles bumping into walls.  Will get action truncation and condition testing next, and then aim to add a PURSUE behavior and an ATTACK behavior. 
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2014, 01:40:55 am »

Week 41 holiday progress updated: Not much except some more messing around with AI action truncation and now I gotta find a dumb bug that makes my AI freak out when theres a wall in front of it instead of just choosing the next action properly.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2014, 02:26:06 am »

Week 42 extended holiday and too puch pie and games updated:  Fixed some junk in random function for freakout issue and not much else this week.  Played way too much Don't Starve (gift from brother) and now slowly catching up on everything I've missed.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2014, 06:45:51 am »

Week 43 shenanigans updated: Several attempts to program, at least some stuff came out of it; Roamer more or less is smooth now, and started on CHASE/ATTACK logic for npcs.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2014, 11:49:13 pm »

Week 44 updated: Did a little chase logic, then decided I wanted slimes vision to work a bit differently so I made different vision modes (45, 90, 180, 360 degrees) and made it possible to modify them with equipment and junk.  Overall not very much done but at least its something.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2014, 01:47:27 am »

Week 45 no-progress update: vegged out, played The Repopulation, got over the holiday stress, etc.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5