Poll

derp

gerr
- 17 (58.6%)
derp
- 12 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Running with rifles- Now on Steam!  (Read 30937 times)

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
Running with rifles- Now on Steam!
« on: February 23, 2014, 11:47:34 am »

I noticed there was a thread already but It hasn't been posted on in 6 months so I thought I would start a new one.

Running with rifles is a large scale tactical shooter with literally hundreds of soldiers at any given time on any of the three sides (green, grey and brown). It is also very difficult as It only takes 1 bullet to kill you.

For more information check out their website here: http://www.modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/
We also have a bay12 dedicated server if you check the server browser.
Spoiler: some screenshots (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:15:08 am by gigaraptor487 »
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Running with rifles- Mass warfare simulator
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 12:04:08 pm »

I bought this WAY back...should probably check on its progress.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 12:42:22 pm »

Apparently, it's about to come on Steam Early Access.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 12:44:52 pm »

6 monthes isn't particularly long for Other Games, look at the Spiderweb thread that came back recently.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 03:32:16 pm »

This game is seriously, extremely fun. Seriously, download the demo they have on their website, and try it out. It looks and feels great, the shooting is slightly strange but you get used to it, the tactical possibilities and maps are great. First, some tips if you want to play, cause the game just throws you right in in the demo, no tutorial.

1.Cover is the most important thing in the world. Since there are OHK more often than not, you have not get hit. Control lets you crouch behind cover, so pop in and out to gun people down.
2.Flanking is the second most important thing. How do you stop people from using cover effectively? You flank around them so their cover is useless.
3.Shooting is slightly strange, but when you get used to it, it makes alot of sense. Your crosshair is where you are AIMING at, but the smaller white one in the middle determines where you actually will hit. If the laser in the middle of your crosshair is red, you can't aim there, and if it's green, you can. Aiming is not instant, you take about half a second to line up a shot. Just experiment with it a bit and you will figure it out.
4.Grenades you can throw with g, hop over walls and climb onto things that don't have ladders with space, if you get a rocket launcher use B to switch to it, and you can pick up other peoples guns with F.
5.Guns. The G36 is better than the AK47, but only a little. The PKM is better than the M60 machine gun, even though it has a smaller clip, you don't have to go prone to use it. There is also a M24 sniper, which is really good but also rare.

Seriously, go check it out, this is a great game.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 03:55:11 pm »

I am not sure I agree about LMGs. If you have cover you don't have to go prone, and going prone is actually good for avoiding bullets at least in my experience. In the end, we will hopefully get a balanced product, which thus far it is doing well.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 08:47:55 pm »

I am not sure I agree about LMGs. If you have cover you don't have to go prone, and going prone is actually good for avoiding bullets at least in my experience. In the end, we will hopefully get a balanced product, which thus far it is doing well.
Yeah, but with the M240 you have to spend like a second going prone before you can actually fire, which can mean a lot.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 09:11:22 pm »

I used to update that thread with every update, but nobody showed enough interest for me to keep updating it. Maybe now that it'll be on Steam people will pay more attention to the game; Pasik has been essentially working on a 'mega update' to polish the game for a Steam release which is why it's been 'dead' for a while. Most of the playerbase seems to be in the EU and the only time I've seen real matches is when there's a planned event of some sort. It's a shame too because the game is pretty fun and kinda silly =p

I'm also hoping they fix the AI a bit. Right now as soon as they detect a threat they can instantly aim at you and shoot you, while this would be impossible for a player to do, especially if you sneak up behind them.

About the health stystem, last I checked everybodu has a single 'hit point' and every gun has different odds of doing 1 hit point of damage. For example, an AKM round is fairly deadly and is more likely to do a hitpoint of damage, while a G36 is generally more accurate but even at long ranges you might not deal a hitpoint of damage consistently. The reason I mention this is ebcause a lot of people don't really understand how damage works in the game, you can get shot 5 times and still live because you were lucky enough to not get a 'killing' round 5 times in a row. The likelihood of damage being dealt drops off over distance too, so getting hit by stray bullets from a firefight the next town over isn't likely to damage you.

There is a button you can press to go prone, and if you do this beforehand in anticipation of an attack you'll do well with the M240. It's not a weapon you use for reaction fire, it's more of a defensive weapon IMO. If you are crouched behind a chest high wall you can fire over the wall without having to go prone, just make sure you're crouching and are close enough to said wall, as soon as you stop shooting you'll automatically crouch back down behind cover. This applies to all weapons, but it's notable on the M240 because it means you don't have to be prone or in the open to fire.

I haven't played this game since a few updates back, I'm curious to see how the new inventory system works and the riot shields. Fun fact: riot shields are for use against riots, not against people with guns... but you know... gameplay =p

I still want the AKM to have a bayonet on it with a slightly longer 'knife' distance to differentiate it more from the G36...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 09:13:06 pm by OzyTheSage »

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 09:34:41 am »

I think it's just a AK, not a AKM. But the bayonet would be cool.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 09:39:30 am »

I played the demo before for a while, it was quite fun. There were a few things that confused me somewhat, like exactly how you capture objectives, how to aim without firing (e.g. whilst in cover) and how to reliably aim at different elevations, but it was still fun.

I think it broke my LMB, though. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 02:38:21 pm »

Oh, yeah, I should fire this up again and see what it's like now. Been months since I played.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 04:39:21 pm »

I have not played in at least 6 months and it feels better...I have not touched all the new features but vehicles are nice.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 07:57:23 pm »

If anyone wants to play, I'll be on invasion US.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 08:04:47 pm »

Or not, it broke.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 08:31:37 pm »

I've played a few demos of this, and it never really seemed like a good game. I don't know if the demos strip everything out, but with the huge amount of stuff going on the result would never be much different than if I wasn't playing at all.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15