Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yet another badass caveperson...or not  (Read 2912 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Yet another badass caveperson...or not
« on: February 24, 2014, 07:52:49 pm »

So I was running a fairly mundane fort in between modding experiments on another save, when my investigation of the caverns eventually uncovered a forgotten beast and some bat people. Fairly standard stuff, so I was expecting them to get stomped. And they did, mostly.

Except one bat woman spearmaster (spearmistress?) that gave our resident lizardmonster a year-long thrashing before eventually biting the dust (not biting the deadly dust, fortunately).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was kinda rooting for her, it would've been awesome to see her get a name for handing Sosmil its ass. For the longest time she was managing with nothing but a broken nose. Seems like the creature never resorted to biting, so no sign of what that venom even does.

Eventually Sosmil went back to clobbering the last couple batmen around, and it seems its bite is better at decapitating than it is at envenoming. However, seems one bat spearman might step up to the plate and finish what his comrade started.

EDIT: I just had to say it. Squad broken, game over maaaan. For the batpeople, not me. I might see about capturing Sosmil and feeding it the goblin siege I just cage-trapped.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:25:08 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another badass caveperson...or not
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 09:03:39 pm »

sounds epic, images don't seem to be working though
*Create potion of immortality*
*Potion Created! Drink potion*
*Immortality gained!*
*You have lost your soul!*

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 09:07:33 pm »

Images work fine for me.

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 09:24:27 pm »

Images work fine for me.

interesting,

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89427928/luck%20ran%20out.png

that url gives me this error;

Invalid Server Certificate
You attempted to reach dl.dropboxusercontent.com, but the server presented an invalid certificate.

maybe i need to clear my ssl certs or something?
*Immortality gained!*

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 09:27:42 pm »

In the meantime, Operation: Six Stooges is underway. Two rooms, a drawbridge to divide them, an artifact weapon rack, 5 goblins in lever-linked cages...all we need is our sixth stooge.

Going to use the old "ramp under a bridge" trick to open the way for our unwitting guest, then close a drawbridge behind him once he's occupied with admiring the furniture.

EDIT: Having moved images, my comment on someone being unable to view an image I had dropbox'd is no longer relevant.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:26:59 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 09:30:20 pm »

Odd. I double-checked to make sure I didn't derp up that particular image, they should all be working. D:

yeah it seems its on my end, damn wanted to see the pics too :P,
*Immortality gained!*

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 11:35:13 pm »

Well, just got home, and since my fort's save is on my laptop...I do need to do some things involving moing things between my home PC and laptop, so I might post progress on avenging those batpeople later tonight or tomorrow. o3o

EDIT: In the meantime, have some writefaggotry.

This basically sums up what happened with the bat people. FB pops in, wrecks a few faces, spearmaster somehow gets it away to duel with it for nearly an in-game year. Then it returns and the survivors put up a much briefer resistance (though the spearman lasted maybe a month or two). One blowgunner buggered off after taking a few hits during the ensuing shitstorm, and gets be the last victim.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 12:09:54 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 02:33:30 pm »

Well, back out and on the laptop, so...my little plot went off without a hitch, though I had to spice up the bait chamber with a puppy to further entice Sosmil.

Now, after raising the drawbridge behind Big Ugly and wiring up some cages...

In the blue corner, we have our reigning (and crippled) champion of the Batman-punting Olympics, Sosmil! In the red corner we have 5 eager young contenders eager for the gold medal in our brand-new Giant Lizardmonster Clobbering event! Hailing all the way from Kustrodamsto (The Ignited Deceiver) we have a quintet of swordsmen, still adorned in the usual mishmash of goblinite equipment.

Place your bets. Personally I'm thinking real armor and metal weapons will do a lot better against this thing. Except that one shmuck with a silver zweihander.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:28:11 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 06:33:09 pm »

I'm rooting for Sosmil. He, like us dwarves, is a monster that dwells beneath the earth, so hopefully he defeats our ancestral enemies.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 06:43:40 pm »

I'm rooting for Sosmil. He, like us dwarves, is a monster that dwells beneath the earth, so hopefully he defeats our ancestral enemies.

I'm not, bugger derailed the entire point of my original post.

Right then, pull the lever!

Round one, fight!

Edit will ensue after the fight progresses.

EDIT:

Battery running low, more edits when I get set up somewhere with an outlet. Piece of shit laptop battery.

EDIT 2: Took me bloody long enough.

Well, there ends the saga of Sosmil Nokgoligath, formally just Sosmil (killing one of those goblins titled it, apparently.) It died as it lived. Getting gang-raped by pissed-off humanoids wielding pointy things.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:30:00 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 07:43:02 am »

What did the venom do to the goblin?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 09:40:28 am »

@Shadowhammer: So wait... You're rooting for the giant cave monster to defeat the tiny cave monsters on the premise that you are the leader of a bunch of tiny alcoholic cave monsters? What'd they ever do to you? Not drink your booze?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 01:50:39 pm »

What did the venom do to the goblin?

I've yet to find that out, sadly. Now the big bugger's dead, so...

Problem was it only seemed to resorted to biting against unconscious targets, except one it bit in the hand. Every time it wouldn't just sever limbs, and the target tended to die instantly as a result of getting their head bit off.

Even the one it bit in the hand apparently bled to death right afterward.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 04:04:30 pm »

I had something somewhat similar happen with one of my first forts, and it was what my first posts on the forum were about.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95802.msg2732360#msg2732360

Basically, a reptile spearwoman battled a forgotten beast for over a year, whereupon it fled. She dispatched a second forgotten beast very quickly, and finally died because the first forgotten beast came back with backup. I never thought to send goblins in after them, though. lol    Anyway, this was a great read.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:06:24 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 11:40:20 pm »

I had something somewhat similar happen with one of my first forts, and it was what my first posts on the forum were about.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95802.msg2732360#msg2732360

Basically, a reptile spearwoman battled a forgotten beast for over a year, whereupon it fled. She dispatched a second forgotten beast very quickly, and finally died because the first forgotten beast came back with backup. I never thought to send goblins in after them, though. lol    Anyway, this was a great read.

What, you weren't throwing goblin captives at Lovecraftian cave horrors? What are you, some kinda elf? o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD