Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Games reviews: Request or post one today!  (Read 2531 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Games reviews: Request or post one today!
« on: March 21, 2016, 04:31:52 am »

I'll start:

Interstellar Marines, while solid in mechanics and graphics, is debatable whether paying for it is worth it. I got it for free in a giveaway and bloody love it, however the creators are not showing a lot of love, nor are they listening to the community. The community is constantly asking for singleplayer and co-op improvements and updates, however the devs are focusing on PvP aspects and the online community is suffering for it and gradually bleeding away.

It only had 3 guns last I played, and while they felt balanced-ish and fun, all three were the same weapon (a taser) just with different attachments. One had a scope and one had a red dot/holographic sight. Suppressors and lasers could be added and removed as wanted, which was something I enjoy about it along with the ability to take your mask off your face. The weapons, while balanced did seem a bit clunky. I mean, you're facing the robot apocalypse and the best weapon you have as an Interstellar Marine (Spess Mahreen) is a goddamn taser? A two-handed taser looking more like a Vector SMG with a red dot sight? A twohanded taser looking like a Vector with a solid stock and (nonfunctional) grenade launcher with an ACOG sight?

Dynamic effects such as drops of water on your mask in a humid/rainy region were a nice touch as well as giving you the opportunity to go HUDblind by removing your mask. 

As of last time I played there is only the one PvE enemy type: robots. The storyline is a bit meh, but fast paced tactical action makes up for it. And I don't mean rooty tooty point-and-shooty calladooty tactical action, I mean really if you aren't up to par with tactics you will die. The whole game concept was built around tactical co-op PvE, which confuses me as to why the devs are focusing on PvP.

Again, I last played it a few months ago, school has been taking up my time, but from the Steam page it's still not getting the love it deserves.

TL;DR: If you have money aplenty I recommend getting it (the normal version, not spearhead edition). It's only $10 and I would love to play with someone for a change.

I rate it 4/5 for gameplay. It is solid and has a lot of tactical features Call of Duty/Medal of Honor/Rainbow6Siege has (wall leaning as one example) it has a lot of unique features (such as changing attachments on all guns as needed and light/water disrupting the HUD and being able to take the mask off). I would hate to see this game keel over and die, but I'm afraid that's where it's going.
I rate the devs 2.5/5 for their effort. While yes, they have gotten the game far, it is THREE YEARS IN and still an early-access. If by chance any of the devs end up reading this, please, PLEASE give this game the love it needs. More weapons would do wonders, a dedicated sniper rifle (ACOG Vector kinda works here) and some more player-getters such as customisable characters.

Spoiler: Requests (Requstee) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 04:30:28 pm by Insanegame27 »
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Games reviews: Request or post one today!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 04:38:03 am »

Suggest copying your OP to another post, and linking every single review post back to the OP so people can quickly drop into another review post at will without having to flip through a half-dozen pages.

Either the world's greatest game of 2015, of all time, or an overhyped piece of shit. Whatever it is, what we can possibly agree on is that it's a rather unique take on stereotypical RPG tropes, with sincere storytelling. I'll try to keep the review as spoiler-free as possible.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Verdict:
If you like the story: ****-
If you dislike the characters: **---
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 05:23:18 am by Trapezohedron »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 04:59:34 pm »

Lists added to OP
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 06:04:34 pm »

Someone give me their condensed XCOM2 review. It's not that I doubt my ability to enjoy it, I'd just like to know what things take getting used to, what stupid gamey bits there are, where the game is after a few patches, etc...XCOM2 thread is a little much to go through by now.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 09:05:10 am »

Here's another review nobody requested, since I can't for the life of me review XCOM2 due to not having adequate specs.

Yes. We're reviewing a PSVITA adaptation of a not-quite-popular arcade rhythm game (hooray Pump it Up! and DDR!).

Let me get this straight out of the way. I really want to like this game, as I'm a fan of both the DJMax series and rhythm games in general. But this may not be your cup of tea, even if the VITA is a dying console with no first party support and you're running out of choices.

Verdict:
*---- if you dislike breaking your hands.
***-- for it's nice song choices otherwise.

Shame it's plagued with a bunch of badly-executed decisions in making gameplay functional.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

cango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 07:35:03 pm »

Can I request Down Fall Redux?

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 04:15:11 am »

Can I request Down Fall Redux?
Added to request list.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 12:03:00 pm »

What about Resident Evil: Revelations 2? Nobody talks about it much, so it can't have been as terribad as RE5... right?

Being the last standing relic of pre-reboot Star Trek, I'm biased to view this game in a positive light. But, moving swiftly on:

EDIT: Does anybody know if STO has a role-playing scene? It has to with all the possibilities for player-created content.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 12:16:41 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 03:00:10 pm »

Someone give me their condensed XCOM2 review. It's not that I doubt my ability to enjoy it, I'd just like to know what things take getting used to, what stupid gamey bits there are, where the game is after a few patches, etc...XCOM2 thread is a little much to go through by now.

I can do a quick condensed review. This assumes you've played Enemy Unknown. If you haven't...go read a more in-depth review.

Basics: Sequel to XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Not really much from Enemy Within in here, at least not yet). Earth has been conquered by the aliens for 20 years and you are fighting a guerilla war to kick them off the planet. Still not trying to be like the original XCOM, so people looking for that should look elsewhere.

Overall, it's XCOM and if you liked the first you'll like this one. Combat is more of the same but with some new aspects like stealth and emergency evac capabilities in most missions.

Pros:
Greater variety in mission types
modular/procedural maps, even for story missions (so far as I know, Haven't tried the last few missions more than the first time yet)
Greatly expanded character customization
Major modding support
Geoscape mode is much more interactive and interesting. More decisions to make and the 'arbitrary game restrictions' feel more realistic and less gamey.

Cons:
Too many mission have timers, often ones that make no sense
Grenade placement still oddly fiddly and annoying
Base decisions feel less impactful. Still has certain 'This is the best order to do stuff in' issues and few meaningful decisions about where stuff goes.
Lots of small changes in how stuff works from the first game without enough to tell you about how they work now. I made a ton of mistakes my first run-through just because I didn't know how stuff actually worked. Once you learn, it's all fine.

Honestly...that's about it. It's fun! It's XCOM! It's running around blowing up aliens! And most importantly it is moddable as all hell, so half the cons have already been fixed with mods.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 03:24:26 pm »

PTW

cango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 08:00:58 am »

I have requested Downfall Redux and then played it myself with a friend and now I want to deliver my own request for the review.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:20:16 am by cango »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 07:03:16 am »

Gotta try harder than that, friendo. Though there was an option to do that, I was just trying the 'nice' serial-killer-lunatic route. Will try for the other endings once the game creeps me out less. Probably never.

It definitely lost a lot of the atmosphere from the original in being Cat Lady-ized. Filled with fan service so if you didn't play the previous game you'll probably be scratching your head. The original Downfall graphics were kinda crappy, but the ones in Redux are too 'smooth' imo. The ones in Cat Lady still managed to have the 'not quite right' uncanny valley effect of all the characters looking like mannequins that were cut out of photographs. Sadly lost.