Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Renegade X is released, 100% free multiplayer mayhem  (Read 3543 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Renegade X is released, 100% free multiplayer mayhem
« on: February 26, 2014, 05:08:41 pm »

http://www.renegade-x.com/

Renegade X is a First/Third Person Shooter with RTS elements. Players will be able to fight for two unique teams, manage their own economies, choose from over 30 weapons, 15 vehicles, and call in nuclear strikes, Ion Cannons, and airstrikes, and much more. Renegade X is for all players - lone wolves, team-based gamers, tankers, snipers, rushers, turtlers, and all others!

-----

It's as awesome as Renegade was, except so much prettier. This is like super Battlefield on steroids and totally, 100% free. No microtransactions, no scams, no nothing.

Get it now~!

-----

Tutorial video: http://renegade-x.com/news?id=71906
Download links: http://renegade-x.com/download
Gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJJW_R7tqMc

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Renegade X is released, 100% free multiplayer mayhem
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 06:58:47 pm »

I have just one question: Is there a grenade machine gun? Which, y'know. Machine gun, except instead of bullets, grenades.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 07:04:59 pm »

So when you say FPS-RTS, is it similar to Natural Selection 2?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 07:06:39 pm »

Look like, but done with more battlefield and over-the-top stuff

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 07:10:33 pm »

30 seconds into the video, see a mammoth tank.

Awesome.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 07:16:57 pm »

Nah, there's no base building of any sort. The base is already built.

It's more like Planetside or Battlefield. Honestly, the best description is that it's like Renegade, but chances are if you've never played that you won't know what I mean hehe.

There's also bot matches and skirmish modes too if you don't want to fight other humans without practice.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 11:16:58 pm »

Renegade was the BEST multiplayer game for the PC before Battlefield 2, in my opinion. Which is kinda a big deal since Renegade came out 3 years before BF2.

I will be downloading this and hoping the quality is right.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 11:52:53 pm »

I was thinking of making a thread for this, glad someone else did it first.

So far, it's very fun, if more than a bit unpolished or balanced. Yes, open beta, I know. That said, it looks damn good, with the animations being a bit weird. Finding a server that doesn't either fill slots with largely useless bots, or with an acceptable ping or decent player count is difficult, since the ping function doesn't appear to work in the server browser, and bots not counting on the player list... despite taking up vehicle slots that occasionally spin in place and shoot a single spot. Inside your own base.

I didn't quite remember the faction differences as clearly as I had before, with NOD seemingly stronger on the infantry side of things with stealth troops and specalized weaponry, weaker with their vehicles (overall; stealth and light tanks are comparatively squishy to GDI's medium and Mammoth tanks).

I never understood how a faction that can make things go invisible and had massive laser towers got Apache helicopters, while the more out in the open GDI had essentially VTOL fighters.

I do get more than a twinge of nostagia for Renegade, and the vaporware known as Starcraft Ghost when playing this.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:54:30 am by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 11:59:52 pm »

Well, GDI generally has more infrastructure in C&C. NOD tends to poke up in any number of places (and shortly afterward cause problems and/or explosions to gdi), with an assortment of things, though I'm fairly sure they have vtols somewhere if the bombers and helis from tiberium wars are anything to go by.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 12:02:14 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 03:58:15 am »

Wow, I can't believe someone remade C&C:renegade (and more surprising, that EA allowed it). I remember reading about it when it first showed up in PC gamer, then hearing it flopped.

A few years later I ended up downloading a demo or something and playing the one online level it had. It really was a cool game. Looking forward to playing X.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 08:51:36 am »

But the real important question, are their nukes/ion cannons.

Wardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 10:13:13 am »

Wowzers. Indeed, the original was one of the best multiplayer experiences of all time for me.

When I got tired, I'd try to go NOD with the stealth dude and plant C4 on people's backs for the lols. Then run back to base to get more C4. Ah, good times.

There was also that gimpy tiberium-proof "flame"-throwing guy, who was sadly more useful as an instrument of confusion and screen blindness than damage and killing.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 10:56:58 am »

You could also say it's a bit like Tribes, except without jetpacks, or hookers, in fact forget the Tribes!

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 11:36:44 am »

Just played me some ReneX. Very fun, yet different from the original Renegade. A lot of the laughable physics that actually made Renegade very skill orientated are gone. Gone is the insta hitting, pixel perfect shooting snipers (though it plays somewhat close to it). Rebalanced are the vehicle weapon loadouts. Still fun are the infantry fights.

The change (nerf) I dislike the most is the speed of the stealth tank. It is much slower than it was in the original (and practically makes it unable to survive a fair fight).

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 03:43:11 pm »

Well stealth tanks are not made for fair fights i guess ;p

Anyway i rememberp playing the original and one mod (based of RA1) sadly the mod was based in the US so my latency was HORRIBLE.
I remember the single player campaign quite fondly however.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: [1] 2 3