Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Some -modding- questions from a new player  (Read 11094 times)

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
Some -modding- questions from a new player
« on: February 26, 2014, 09:29:15 pm »

EDIT : Cut the non-modding related questions, and added my later posts question to this post.

Once I have modded all the files from the source code that I wanted to mod, what do I do next? How do I make my mod playable?

As I understand it from digging around online, I need to compile, then link files to make an .exe.

Must all files and folders be compiled? (As the art folder is separate in the standard game directory)

NOTE: I am trying to use the internet to find my answer too, but most answers related to linux commands etc, and I have windows. Although I have found that I may need a 'linker' to make the compiled files and .exe - is that right/applicable to LCS?

Sorry if I'm being a pain, I am trying to find the answer online, but as I don't know programming, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what exactly I need to google.

Thank you for reading, and in advance, for answering.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:30:06 am by TheOnlySolitaire »

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions from a new player
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 10:55:11 pm »

Crimes are instantly noted, except I think for stealth kills, other than that the police will always know about your crimes.

Mod wise- If you want to do a superficial mod and just have new weapons and clothing you can change the files in a  text editor, they are inside the art folder. I have not done anything with the real stuff which can be found in the source code that is given oat by fox. I do not know where you find the enemy list

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 08:43:49 pm »

-snip-

Thank you for the reply :)

It would seem that sneak attacks with the knife are the only non reported crimes, makes sense.

I downloaded the source code, have made my edits, but what do I do now?
As I mentioned, I am not fluent in any coding language, I just kind of understand the core concepts or what have you.
Like, I'm pretty sure the next step is to compile all the files together, and that should be it, just play from there. Is that correct?

I don't know what files I have to compile however. I'm guessing all of them, but as the art folder is accessible in the standard game, maybe that's not right?

Could I kindly ask for a quick how-to on what I do with my finished modded files? (I don't want to divert too much of anybodies time)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:03:29 am by TheOnlySolitaire »

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 08:47:31 pm »

-snip-

Thank you for the reply :)

It would seem that sneak attacks with the knife are the only non reported crimes, makes sense.

I downloaded the source code, have made my edits, but what do I do know?
As I mentioned, I am not fluent in any coding language, I just kind of understand the core concepts or what have you.
Like, I'm pretty sure the next step is to compile all the files together, and that should be it, just play from there. Is that correct?

I don't know what files I have to compile however. I'm guessing all of them, but as the art folder is accessible in the standard game, maybe that's not right?

Could I kindly ask for a quick how-to on what I do with my finished modded files? (I don't want to divert too much of anybodies time)

I dont know anything about those, heck I would be interested in the answer. I know that Visual Basic is what I use to open them.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some -modding- questions from a new player
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 10:58:16 am »

I'm not sure I understand your question. First, I guess the question is "what OS are you using?" I'm using Mac/Unix, so the process of compiling is a little bit different if you're using Windows.

My expectation is that you will recompile everything that gets compiled.

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 12:44:14 pm »

Okay thanks, well I guess what I'm asking is, what do I do now?

I downloaded the source code for LCS. Then using notepad++ I made some edits and value tweaks, added some things etc, all formatted like it is in the other game files.

Now what do I do to make my changes playable?

I'm on Windows. (Windows 7, 32bit, if relevant)

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 01:18:49 pm »

Okay.

Editing the source code (the .cpp and .h files) will only help if you are going to compile.

Editing the executable will change the game immediately.

Which are you doing?

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 01:42:20 pm »

-snip-

Umm I downloaded the source code as I was informed that was the only way to mod....

Can you add new things to the game by modding the .exe?
Like I added a whole new list of creature names, and some new weapons and armours to the source code so far.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 01:48:51 pm »

Well, it depends on what you want to mod.

If you want to just change values around, I think you can do that in the XML files in /art. At least I believe that this is true. For example, if you want to make the CIA agents a little bit less overpowered, you can lower the values of CREATURE_AGENT in the creatures doc (or, if you want them to be even stronger, you can do that, too).

If you want to actually change how the game mechanics work, you need to edit the source and compile. You will need a C++ compiler. I have no idea how to get that done on Windows; Mac OS is Unix-based, and therefore comes with the Gnu C Compiler (gcc), which can compile source code.

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 01:58:00 pm »

-snip-

Is that all that needs to be done though; compile the files?
And then it works?

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 02:29:23 pm »

What it will do is create an executable file. In Unix, this overwrites any existing executable. I don't know what happens in Windows; it may depend on the compiler.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 05:26:58 pm »

Well, it depends on what you want to mod.

If you want to just change values around, I think you can do that in the XML files in /art. At least I believe that this is true. For example, if you want to make the CIA agents a little bit less overpowered, you can lower the values of CREATURE_AGENT in the creatures doc (or, if you want them to be even stronger, you can do that, too).

If you want to actually change how the game mechanics work, you need to edit the source and compile. You will need a C++ compiler. I have no idea how to get that done on Windows; Mac OS is Unix-based, and therefore comes with the Gnu C Compiler (gcc), which can compile source code.

Actually when I was doing superficial modding last month I couldnt find that. I think the Creatures re coded in the .exe not the text files. Armor, weapons, masks, and shops are though

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 07:04:51 pm »

Thanks for the help guys.

I've given up though.
I downloaded Visual Express or what have you, and while I think I was on the right track, I really can't be bothered to go through that many hoops just to make some minor changes to weapons, vehicles and add a ton of new names for flavour, especially seeing as I could mess it up and waste all that effort and time for something that doesn't work anyway. 

I appreciate your patience with my questions though, thanks.

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 09:31:51 am »

To compile the game on Windows it's easiest to get either Visual Studio 2010 (Express?) or Codeblocks. There are project files for both in the workspaces directory. Open one of them and compiling should be one click away.

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 06:03:38 pm »

Hmm this gave me new hope, so I tried it but it keeps throwing up errors. I quit using Visual Studio, as its 2013 not 2010, and downloaded code:blocks.

But either something is corrupted, which seems unlikely, or I'm doing something wrong which seems more likely.

I'm using codeblocks to open a workspace file, do I need to use all of them or just one?
Pages: [1] 2