Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Some -modding- questions from a new player  (Read 11017 times)

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some -modding- questions from a new player
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 07:37:29 am »

I believe game.cbp is the Codeblocks project file. Did you try opening that?

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 09:00:29 am »

Thanks for helping me by the way.

Yes I did open game.cbp, it cancelled instantly with this message:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not sure what that means or what it's doing, but I think I'm going to download the source code again to a different folder then try again.

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 08:30:48 am »

The flag -Og is kind of new and you need the version of codeblocks that comes with the latest version of mingw.

Or you can see if the project file has a release build configured and compile that instead.

Or you look for -Og among the project's compiler options and change it to -O0.

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 10:18:48 am »

Umm okay, so I compiled the source code, but running the resulting .exe gives me the following error:

Note:the .exe runs, but where the lcs details etc should be, this message is instead.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This happened after trying to run the .exe threw me a 'couldn't find pdcurses.dll' error, I solved that when i moved the 4.07 release's pdcurses.dll file to my newly compiled lcs's directory.
The pdcurses error stopped, but now I have the above problem.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 09:37:12 am »

The executable needs a have all files in the right place relative to itself. So you should have

crimesquad.exe,
init.txt,
pdcurses.dll,
art folder containing all its files

in the same folder.

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 09:50:44 am »

AH! Thank you Carlos :)

I had done that but used the standard LCS's pdcurses.dll, init.txt and art folder with the compiled .exe. I corrected that and put the source code versions into the right place and all works as it should now.

Thanks so much for your help and patience, much appreciated.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 04:42:59 am »

And, out of curiosity, how to make a downloadable mod (something who can be shared with others), for those interested?
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2014, 03:16:05 pm »

(Can I bump this thread to repeat my queston?)

I would like to know how to share a LCS mod, i.e. what to do to be able to share a mod and modify the .exe file without the other player be obligated to possess the source code.

I want to ask for if I will have enough free time.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 01:12:40 pm »

To share a mod, you have to either compile the .exe file yourself and share that, or share the source code so they can compile it themselves. Releasing just the .exe file would be problematic for those not on windows.

Some mods don't require the executable to be modified however, and change the externally defined settings instead of the game code.

Note that the game is released under the GNU general public license, so if you do publish a modified version of the executable you are obligated to also publish the modified source code.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 02:04:44 pm »

To share a mod, you have to either compile the .exe file yourself and share that, or share the source code so they can compile it themselves. Releasing just the .exe file would be problematic for those not on windows.

Some mods don't require the executable to be modified however, and change the externally defined settings instead of the game code.

Note that the game is released under the GNU general public license, so if you do publish a modified version of the executable you are obligated to also publish the modified source code.

Thanks for the answer.
Pages: 1 [2]