Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Let's create a setting.  (Read 23920 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's create a setting.
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2014, 08:26:52 pm »

Come to think of it, does it even have a name?
I gave it a name back when I was trying to condense everything into one post. By the way, how's that effort going? I haven't been paying much attention to that...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2014, 08:28:20 pm »

Re: Moulds: I'd agree that they don't need to be hostile to everything. The kill-devour-overrun sort of hivemind is incredibly overdone, to say the least.

((Yeah, it's just the sort of first cliche that comes to mind.  I thought they probably became a little zerg/borglike at the end, so that's gone.

Actually, I've got what I think is a pretty good starting point for a non-grimdark world. Might go ahead and start a thread for it if nobody objects.

I've no objections, I'd definitely PTW on that one, possibly contribute a little.

I gave it a name back when I was trying to condense everything into one post. By the way, how's that effort going? I haven't been paying much attention to that...

Oh, well curses.  Also, might have to get Leo on that :P  Or I can spend some time on it later.))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2014, 08:33:20 pm »

It's up.

--

Leo organized it a bit in #53. I think that sort of sub-group breakdown is probably our best hope for maintaining coherence.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2014, 08:47:33 pm »

Re: Moulds: I'd agree that they don't need to be hostile to everything. The kill-devour-overrun sort of hivemind is incredibly overdone, to say the least.

((Yeah, it's just the sort of first cliche that comes to mind.  I thought they probably became a little zerg/borglike at the end, so that's gone.
((My personal headcannon is that they were originally a sort of organic ai used by whatever species made the world to create and maintain it's vital systems.))
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2014, 09:05:51 pm »

Leo organized it a bit in #53. I think that sort of sub-group breakdown is probably our best hope for maintaining coherence.
...Said 54 posts afterwards.
Promising.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2014, 09:22:59 pm »

...Said 54 posts afterwards.
Promising.
You asked, I answered.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2014, 09:30:45 pm »

Perhaps the organizational stuff should go on the first page, it Tack's up for it.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2014, 09:38:01 pm »

(("I'm not sure we had that advanced of a technology for seismographs" you realize a basic seismograph, good enough for these purposes, is literally any kind of weight on the end of a spring with a pen tied to it and some paper gradually scrolled past maybe pulled by another weight on a string tied to it, right? Likewise, I'm talking about a few scholars driven by their personal curiosity as individuals, not any coordinated effort by the races as a whole. Oh well, your idea works anyway/to. ))

((Name proposal: the Ashen Bubble. Ashworld works to thou.))

Another longstanding myth is that this world is a prison and a power-source, used by some kind of unfathomably vast and unknowable entity beyond the Oblivion.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2014, 09:43:26 pm »

Many believe that the Mould created the Art of the Saga, their shared memory taking the form of an eternal song, and they taught the first Skalds of other races to sing. Others believe people learned to sing from the sounds of the ash-sea itself, a steady long rythm of regular tides.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2014, 01:52:00 am »

Sorry for double post, but I want to add that there's now a tropes page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebOriginal/Ashworld

It's in need of serious work, though.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2014, 03:22:53 am »

Rather than revolving, the world shifts backs and forth, likened as unto clockwork.
This is due to the great obsidian pillar acting as a Foucalt pendulum, swinging underneath the sun and causing the world to turn as it does so.

The motion of this world is what causes the shifting tides, there being no moon.

Spoiler: Foucalt pendulum (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 01:28:08 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2014, 03:26:41 am »

Heheh, and now I screw with everything by saying that the shell-world isn't a complete sphere, and is actually just a hemicircular section which swings underneath the sun, as a pendulum.
1A trolling would be trolled again.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2014, 03:58:14 am »

Heheh, and now I screw with everything by saying that the shell-world isn't a complete sphere, and is actually just a hemicircular section which swings underneath the sun, as a pendulum.

The motion of this world is what causes the shifting tides, there being no moon.

My response to the last 6 pages being little more than refinements in lore.
... I'll fix the picture next time I get at a computer.

There might be a moon, except it's on the other side of the world and the world is perpetually facing towards the sun.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2014, 04:30:18 am »

Except I also just accidentally made the lack of moon canon.

Although It would be cool if the only nights were eclipses.
But the Venusian-style cloud cover probably goes enough.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2014, 05:04:46 am »

Except I said earlier than the world is indeed spherical, as proven by sailors, and that the "hemispherical world" view is flat-earth level conspiracy nut.

The lack of moon always had been canon, though there is like half a dozen sleeping giants orbiting the sun.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:09:47 am by kaian-a-coel »
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12