Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: ☼Masterwork Succession Fortress: Willedabyss☼  (Read 25124 times)

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
☼Masterwork Succession Fortress: Willedabyss☼
« on: February 27, 2014, 12:25:12 pm »

“We have been travelling for days now. Can’t we stop? The goblins will still be looting the fortress instead of following a handful of dwarves.”

The good doctor was always apt to make a complaint, most likely due to the fact that the most physically-demanding activity was holding a knife and cutting on the wounded.

“Pipe down, Doc. You may have heard only stories of goblins and their slimy green-skinned folk. But they are not just old wives tales to scare children. They are true; Those monsters enjoy nothing more than torturing and bleeding a dwarf slowly, then making babbles out of the bones for cheap laughs and bragging rights. We here of the core know this first hand. I’ve seen several a brave recruit be savaged by those bastards, and came upon families that had the misfortune to be found by ambushers. Aye, they are a sick breed, a blight on this world.”

At this the corporal spat to further show his distaste for the green-skins.

“Never underestimate the thirst for blood that those bastards have.”

With those final words of the corporal, the doc looked down at his feet and trudged on with the rest of us. That will probably earn us a few more hours of respite from the doc’s discomfort.

After the sun began to set I signalled for the troop to stop, if seven and a few dogs can count as a troop. Everyone was used to making a small travel camp save for the doc, of course, as he fumbled with his gear. Looking about I can see the sadness on my soldiers’ faces. Being an only child with no family of my own and my parents dying when I was just a baby, I cannot imagine the losses they suffered.

They lost lovers, children, friends, aunts, uncles, parents, and grandparents. All I remember was General Nil, the old grizzled bear of a dwarf that raised me like his own, looking me in the eyes and saying, “Son, there comes a time where fighting is just not enough, and retreat becomes an option. And you know I’m a strong believer the retreating is for the green-skins. But it seems they may have very well got us this time, I need you and the Corporal to take a few men and Doctor Kilrud out as far as you can. Why the doc? We both know not to ask questions, son, Now go! I and the 9th legion will take as many of these green bastards to Hell with us as we can.”

Those were the only words he spoke to me that day, hell, in months. But that scarred face and eyes gave away warmth and pride, yet sadness, too, when he gave me my final orders.

“Sir, uh.. I.. We have a problem.”

Turning around to the lieutenant holding a scribe board, nervousness was plain on his face.

“What is it, Lieutenant?”

He merely handed me the board. Taking it, I was worried about what was written on it as well, as I was illiterate. The lieutenant had written down a list of supplies as well as sketched drawings of each item; he’d also included a tally chart for the count, and many of the counts were dangerously low. If we went on like this, we’d starve in less than three days.
Dropping the board so it hung by my hip, I turned to my weary travel group. “Alright, listen up everyone. We’ve travelled nearly as far as we can on the little food that we started with. And there is no doubt that the green-skins will soon be hot on our trails. When they started, we don’t know. Could have been right after we left, or it could be a week from now. Either way they are coming for us, and our supplies are low. We can’t go on much longer, or we will just walk ourselves to death. I am for dying on my feet, but not from starvation, thirst, or exhaustion. I want to die weapon-in-hand, doing the thing I love most. Killing green-skins.”

A few smiles managed to creep onto some of the group’s faces, the rest too tired or depressed to manage a reply other than listen.

“Now since the case is walk and die, or root and gather what supplies we can from the area and fight, I choose fight! Who is with me!” This rallied some ‘Hoorahs!’ and in one case ‘Aw, yeah!’ Even the ones too tired managed to show a war face.

“Sir, where should we set up base?”

Giving some more thought into our goal, I surveyed the area some more. We managed to wander into a swamp; not the best of places. Seeing it would be difficult to dig into the embracing earth, I turned, sighing, and pointed to the best location.

“Over there seems better than nothing. Let the axe squad know they’ll be cutting timber. I want some walls up while we figure out how deep we can dig. Tell them that this place shall be called Willedabyss.”

With a salute, the soldier ran off to the rest to spread the word. Here is where we begin our life in Willedabyss, Udngalak.

Overseer list:
Green = finished
Orange = in progress?
Yellow = in progress
Red = skipped
Purple = notified

1. The Master
2. danmanthedog
3. Deus Asmoth
4. CaptainMcClellan
5. wasara
6. Hugo_The_Dwarf

To be Dorfed:
Deus Asmoth - Book keeper named Asmoth
CaptainMcClellan - Male jeweler or craftsdwarf. Preferably jeweler. Named Ringo.
jrrocks05 - male doctor named Apollo. wears all dark clothing including lab coat and hood. wants to learn how to use an crossbow.
wasara - Any adult, name him wasara
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:38:19 pm by The Master »
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Guess who's back guys! -Succession fortress planning stages-
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 12:43:02 pm »

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 02:09:44 pm »

Heyo. I'd like to play a succession fortress. ( Other than my own. Hint hint. * cough * check signature * cough * XD ) As per the planning, it depends on how much fun you want to have. If you want to have lots of fun, you should settle on a glacier in an evil terrain and not give up until you have successfully built a fortress. Anyway, I want to go ahead and reserve a spot if at all possible. I'm still a bit noobish and am slightly useless beyond the first ten years. ( I think I did pretty good, I hit the learning cliff and immediately started climbing. It only get steeper from here! )

As for world gen, you should put the savagery as high as possible. Also, if at all possible, see that the necromancer level is high. Megabeast level also. And try to limit aquifers. Aquifers aren't fun, they're just annoying. :| I don't really know what parameters make a happy happy fun land but I'm sure between all the commenters you'll get something. If you use mods, please nothing that requires more than Lazy Newb Pack to run, I don't wanna have to find new mods. I dunno. If you want to attract homestuck fans... use the fortbent mod. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=89267.0 ( This can be a double-edged sword, because whilst their insanity will cause much fun to occur, it will also likely make for some insufferable posts and far too many quotes/references/tumblr links. Also, it's technically no longer a Dwarf Fortress, although it can be modded a bit further with some entity tags to make it possible to play as any civ. That's all a matter of personal taste.  )

Other fun stuff: Mess with things to get a demonic king of the dwarves, mod in gunpowder, have lava aquifers, strange beasts that turn dwarves into toothpicks, a mod that causes overused stills to explode. I don't know, this is Dwarf Fortress. Fun ensuing is inevitable.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:11:53 pm by CaptainMcClellan »

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 02:39:14 pm »

Im thinking masterwork Mod.
Also try to make the Nothing mod and SOH work togather if its posseble.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 04:28:41 pm »

If you use mods, please nothing that requires more than Lazy Newb Pack to run, I don't wanna have to find new mods.
I'd like to point out that the save file holds all the mods besides DFhack which i'm pretty sure is included anyway in Lazy Newb Pack.
Quote from: CaptainMcClellan
As for world gen, you should put the savagery as high as possible. Also, if at all possible, see that the necromancer level is high. Megabeast level also.
I'm not looking for an instant suicide run! ;D
And try to limit aquifers. Aquifers aren't fun, they're just annoying.
I actually disagree! It's actually not terribly difficult to plug it up and it adds another level of risk when mining, which increases the FUN factor while also not making it impossible to survive upon embark! The oilfurnace comic perfectly explains how to do it.

Mess with things to get a demonic king of the dwarves, mod in gunpowder, have lava aquifers, strange beasts that turn dwarves into toothpicks, a mod that causes overused stills to explode.
I'm sure I can find someone who could mod in a demonic king, but the rest i'm not too sure about. Besides, there's already many mods that add guns and gunpowder! I like the Demon king idea though!

Quote from:  danmanthedog
Im thinking masterwork Mod.
I'm definitely using Masterwork as the base mod.
Quote from:  danmanthedog
Also try to make the Nothing mod and SOH work togather if its posseble.
I'm not sure what SOH is and I've only read the story that introduced the Nothing but never used the mod.

Quote from: Hugo_The_Dwarf
I would suggest for a mod(s):
Norse Fortress
Genesis Reborn
Legends of Forlorn Realms
Unfortunately Hugo, I'm pretty sure those are all overhaul mods. Those would almost certainly conflict with Masterwork. If anyone reading this thread knows about how to make LFR compatible though, say so!
Actually, it seems that only Norse is incompatible! Also, your mod is compatible as well!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 04:38:35 pm by The Master »
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 05:06:22 pm »

for challenge I would suggest these rules:
Only Stockpiles, Bedrooms, and Tombs be underground.
Everything else aboveground (Altho the first 3 years some things can be underground for the fact it's had to make aboveground forts)

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 05:54:45 pm »

Updated the OP with a question for you guys.
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A new unnamed Sucession Fortress!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 08:27:05 am »

The SOH mod is the Spawn of Holoiscat (sorry can't spell it and to lzy to look but i say turn on all easy uys and turn on all median guys execpt for badgermen and furies. As for hard I say turn on jotur and nightwings.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 09:18:49 am »

Yeeeeeahh. I've had some bad experiences with aquifers. I tried the double-slit method, but I messed it up. Mm. If we're going to do aquifers, at least make the embark site multi-biome with part having an aquifer and part not having it. This is so that we can at least get stone without having to wait two or three years and embark with special equipment for draining aquifers and making large tunnels. I like being a tunnel king. ;)

Hmmm... I think that Spiderfiends would be the only thing that I wouldn't want, just for the same reason you said not to put all the settings to maximum. Suicide runs are really fun though, if you can survive them. I once settled in an evil glacier in a high savagery world, and I actually managed to make it a few months before the zombie yetis dismembered half of my embark party, who came back to life and attacked their former friends, half of which went insane. Amazingly, I still survived that with exactly two dwarves, only to starve because I didn't bring enough materials and there were no trees.

As per lava aquifers, if you mean you're not sure we should then you are right. It is possible though, with !!SCIENCE!!. The exploding stills would be a little different. It'd be much more difficult to mod because you'd have to work in new variables and a custom announcement. Elsewhich is totally within mod-range, difficulty though...

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 12:11:10 pm »

A multi-biome embark sounds like a smart move. I'll make sure to do that. Also, I'm sure I could get Hugo to make lava aquifers.  :P
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 12:47:17 pm »

Awesome sauce. Tabasco. Lava. Eventually everything I say will lead back to one of a few base topics that we were already talking about. ( Even if we were talking about it six years ago. )

In one particular fit of insanity, I once contemplated settling a four-biome embark site. I decided against it, simply because of the great likelyhood of lag-spikes. I don't have the best of computers.

Hmm... Also, I would suggest investing in swimming skill for your miners if you can afford the embark points. And... depending on where you settle, it might be a rather good idea to bring some extra wood. I dunno. Let me know what the game/you name the fortress though. Announce it in dramatic emphasis. Also, an interesting, but risky, strategy is to not embark with an anvil at all and use those 100 embark points for other supplies/skills. This hinges on hoping the caravan has the sense to bring an anvil and whether you can afford it when they do. Early fortresses can and usually do survive for a year or two without a metalworking industry. In fact, theoretically one could make it all the way through the third year working with stone and wood alone. I wouldn't advise it though. Fourth year's usually when everything goes bad and you'll need a well armed militia.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 05:26:18 pm »

Alright. I think it's time we start finishing the preparations. Who wants to go after me? First come, first serve.
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 09:08:12 pm »

I have time for a round. Do you want us to RP?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: A new unnamed Succession Fortress
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 09:10:43 pm »

Could I take a turn as well?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 11:37:52 pm »

My turn after that. And I'm RP'ing no matter what.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19