Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: GreedyLittleBastards. A ☼Masterwork Multi-verse in 4i☼  (Read 8638 times)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
Re: GreedyLittleBastards. A ☼Masterwork Multi-verse in 4i☼
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2014, 05:54:31 am »

... if the jimboo alt-universe is able to get it past year 79, then cool - we use that one as the "Main" timeline once you post the save.

Hmm.  Thinking.
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
Re: A last ditch effort...
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2014, 05:59:14 am »

Where once stood a bastion of riches and glory, swarming with dwarves of all ages, now the remaining population was exactly four.

Four dwarves?  Really?  Great stories to be sure but, I'm remembering a succession fort where my turn started with less than a dozen dwarves, only one that I could order about aside from hospital duties and it was ... kind of boring. 

So, still thinking.
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2014, 12:44:51 pm »

I "retired" it with those three dwarves hiding from the invaders, then started up a new fortress specifically with the aim of training up a population of warriors who will then march to Greedybeards to take it from the invaders and retire there.  Once I then re-embark, I can "tweak makeown" the warriors who've retired at the fortress and set them up as a standing army to repel any further incursions.  What Greedybeards needs is a dedicated army for protection and the support staff to take care of them.  (Of course, such expenses keep the Greedybeard dwarves firmly under the thumbs of the "benevolence society".  Mercenaries ain't cheap, you know...)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2014, 01:54:32 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8529

Is that the right save?  The DFFD description says “The fortress is retired as a town, but is currently occupied with goblins and war elephants, which are both fighting to claim the treasures of Greedybeards, having worked together to slay the vast majority of its dwarven population.”

But the save has 51 dwarves and is from early Spring 76.  Somehow, all of the courtyard walls and cage traps have disappeared.  I checked it several times and -- ?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2014, 04:41:05 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8529

Is that the right save?  The DFFD description says “The fortress is retired as a town, but is currently occupied with goblins and war elephants, which are both fighting to claim the treasures of Greedybeards, having worked together to slay the vast majority of its dwarven population.”

But the save has 51 dwarves and is from early Spring 76.  Somehow, all of the courtyard walls and cage traps have disappeared.  I checked it several times and -- ?

Oops!  I'll re-upload...

Nevermind - the new fortress went about a year and a half as well before crashing, it's missing something called a "information book"...  no idea.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 07:47:03 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2014, 06:19:17 pm »

Hey jimboo - any updates to this?

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2014, 12:15:15 pm »

Hi!  I am almost done moving.  I'll be done this weekend.  So, next week I will figure out a save to use and play a turn.  It sounds like there be *issues* so we'll see what happens.  Is there a good save floating around?

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2014, 01:24:26 pm »

ahh, I missed TBob's last update, just saw it now.

Either of the first two saves could be the one best to use.  When I checked it, the only things that seem "off" are two surface levers that aren't linked and a couple of surface hatches in the courtyard seemed to have disappeared.  LMeire's save works but is only a short time into the next season, your call.  When I looked at the other save, all the outer walls disappeared. (?)

I like the alternate timelines theme, maybe because this is my first fortress where I was writing things down as if others might see them someday.  War Elephants aren't *that* big a deal unless higher invader skills are on.  In that case, the elephant Champions come with tattooed tusks, from that "rune a clad animal" labor that gives 100% bonus.  Those are tough.  The biggest challenge comes several years in:  Humans are at war with Elves and if there's an Elven diplomat still on the screen when a human arrives, he'll take 'im out with Singing Arrows once the human stupidly attacks.  Subsequent years will then bring ever-larger groups of Human Imperial Guards and I never found a good response to that.  I suggest putting a wall barrier across levels of the mountain, otherwise elite archer types will pick off anyone in the courtyard and can quickly move from the South to West wall positions while dwarves scramble around the long way to counter.  Everything else -- you'll figure it out.    :) The "need more cages" spam is annoying, to be sure but there's plenty of coal in upper layers so cages can be glass.  With all those gold deposits, you can get anything from caravans.  I went with raptors and grizzlies to beef up the troops and after year 8 or so, there was plenty of bifrost bars in stock.  White Widows breed like crazy and trump Giant Blade Spiders, in case anyone else is also foolish enough to try and pasture them together.     

IMPORTANT EDIT: forgot to mention, from somewhere back in earlier pages: when I started playing the save, trees were "off limits" because the Inside Warren was only halfway de-linked (DefCon 4).  So if you use that first save, be sure to put the inactive civilian warren w/o restriction. 

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 05:41:40 pm by jimboo »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2014, 06:26:07 pm »

Well, good.  I didn't want this to "die on the vine", it has too much possibility.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2014, 04:23:29 pm »

While we wait for Grimmash to finish his move (relocation), here's a chapter from my alt-line:

3rd Moonstone 81, early Winter.
If I’ve done this right, the dwarves will now adamantine stud and diamond encrust the artifact bed for our Duchess – and no, that was a dumb idea; artifacts are already pimped to the max so we’re hauling it to her bedroom.  We’re being very careful scouting around that first adamantine spire, not wanting to breach Hell.  It’s slow going over to the second; the shortest path is seven tiles over magma, digging stops at each tile for warm stone.  The two male migrants are studying in War colleges.  The golem forge is taking forever; does it have to be over an open tile of magma just to be built?  I was hoping to build it, see where it’s open (no Wiki page yet) and then deconstruct/build it again so the open tile isn’t open to fire maidens, of which there be many only a few tiles away.  Those fire snakes keep popping in and out, don’t seem to bother anyone. 

7th Moonstone.
Given enough time, I think that bullet turret would take out every human and goat on the surface.  Broken forelimbs, bruised buttocks.  We’ve reached the second spire.

Bummer.  So much for being careful around the first spire:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Only one tile to wall off, granite is five steps away.  Will we make it?  Dwarves are standing by bridge levers on multiple levels just in case.  It’s a long way from the staircase.  Who’s that closest mining dwarf?  Plague CityCrystal!  Yeah, you!  You’re now a mason.  Who’s that nearby?  Razor HarmonyPage?  Ditto.  Get to work, stuff that “no job” bull.  Can’t you hear the screams from below?!   Oops…

Glove WorkerBuckle, frantically trying to claw her way through a raised granite bridge with Bust MirrorMachine, Razor HarmonyPage and Plague CityCrystal behind her.  A bit further behind her,

Devilkins.  Soot Monsters.  Blizzard Fiends, Nightmares, Fire and Steam Demons come pouring down the hall from the breach to Hell.  What Glove WorkerBuckle doesn’t know is that even if she were able to claw through the bridge, other dwarves are heading down to seal off the passage – on the next level up.  Because bridges aren’t indestructible, walls are forever.  And beyond the stairs, there are multiple other bridges that now must be lowered sequentially to give access to the level above for that new wall.  The few troops down there to help with the fire snakes that kept popping in and out accounted themselves well but, there was no hope.  Only one dwarf has a chance:

Knife WashCraft, miner, was the only one with sense enough to run the right direction to the bolthole, hastily warrened, sealing the hatch above just before the first Soot Monster was on top of her.  Now she sleeps on the floor, waiting, hoping the other dwarves will come to her rescue with a new tunnel before she starves.

There are Nightmares in her dreams. 

Masons are chiseling nine slabs from native gold and the bards are composing songs.         
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 05:45:21 pm by jimboo »

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2014, 08:50:34 am »

Almost done moving.  I also took on the project of refinishing a family table, and the father in law is selling the house, so I had that timetable mived up considerably!  I'll let everyone know when i pick up the turn.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]