Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Give us Rhino People  (Read 3410 times)

red_kangaroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Give us Rhino People
« on: February 27, 2014, 02:19:31 pm »

I've just finished reading the Cado's Magical Journey (Well, I'm three years late. Whatever. :) ) and it struck me that I can never have a rhino boy companion. I'm sad for rhino people, as they are apparently extinct, probably by a misuse of a scroll of genocide.

I say Armok should forge them on his Anvil of Universes, and while he is doing that, what about attaching some elephant people? Steel-clad and wielding battle axes?

:D
My friends are all dead,
My right foot gone, but what a
Lovely waterfall.

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Give us Rhino People
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 03:34:04 pm »

You could make them in the raws?

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 12:42:08 am »

While I do love the idea of rhinomen barbarians, with braided hair and such, I must point out that you could easily mod them in yourself. It is actually quite fun to design your own races, and the wiki already supplies you with all information you need, unless you want to go really wild and add something strangely awesome.

red_kangaroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 03:50:21 am »

Yes, I know and I even tried. Haven't finished yet. :)

What am I really looking forward is some true culture for these overground animal people - I mean, at least something like the batmen or amphibian men have. I think it is planned one day (what isn't?) but I'd like it to come, to have less animal people generated, but with much more flavour, not just wandering around.
My friends are all dead,
Lovely waterfall.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 05:23:56 am »

That will happen eventually, but you can change the raws to produce less of the animal men I think. You can also create their entities if you want. Eventually there will be animal people civilizations with random design.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 11:50:36 pm »

Eh, I agree idea can be expanded to the rest of the above ground animal people to give them some variation in actions, or at very least do something beyond loitering in fortresses, preventing their tasty feral counterparts from spawning.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 06:42:41 am »

Toady said he would expand the animal person and giant animal list eventually to encapsulate the animals the game had before hand.

Though why he doesn't do it right now, other than it taking an incredibly long time, is rather obvious given that the game doesn't handle variety too well.

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 04:18:20 pm »

Toady said he would expand the animal person and giant animal list eventually to encapsulate the animals the game had before hand.

Though why he doesn't do it right now, other than it taking an incredibly long time, is rather obvious given that the game doesn't handle variety too well.
Yes, getting creatures to be things that aren't just randomly splattered across the plane is still a work in progress, though judging from the blogging it's improved massively.
Another important reason is graphics: Toady is running out of letters.
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

Arowhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 05:10:59 pm »

Sigging.

Honestly though, I think that the game should make animal people at random, picking random animals to "peopleify", if that makes any sense.

red_kangaroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 04:54:00 am »

Honestly though, I think that the game should make animal people at random, picking random animals to "peopleify", if that makes any sense.

That might actually be very nice, for each world generated to have let's say 3 to 20 (depending on the size of the world) animal people species derived from any animal specie on the given world. You should be given an advanced worldgen option to adjust those numbers.

This could work wonders if the animal people were given random culture and random ethics. Think rhino people noble savages who refuse killing of any creature except for enemies as opposed to rhino people merchants who use every tool they have to maximize their profit and even though they do not like to fight on their own, they do not shun to trick two civilizations to nearly exterminate each other while buying various war stuff form the rhino merchants. Both civilzations would be possible on different worlds, just one would be given [COURAGE] and [WAR] spheres while the other [TREACHERY] and [TRADE].
My friends are all dead,
Lovely waterfall.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 03:49:56 pm »

It's sort of like the Rhox from magic the gathering.

Loxodon are the elephant equivalent.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 03:51:15 pm »

I think Rhino Men are a kind of Titan.