Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 201666 times)

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #1035 on: August 14, 2018, 08:24:50 pm »

So a full sized DLC has been announced for Battle Brothers.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/365360/announcements/detail/1691550987516660973

Interesting since I remember the dev team saying that they were done with BB. The content added definitely doesn't surprise me though, since more 'beast' fights always seemed like something Battle Brothers could've done more with. Direwolves were about the only beast type battle in vanilla after all.

Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: August 14, 2018, 09:56:12 pm »

I'm seriously considering revisiting this game once the DLC drops.

I just wish the world was a little bit more independent of your party levels. Playing on iron man, the scaling really killed it for me last time.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: August 14, 2018, 10:56:25 pm »

I had similar issues with scaling...I really hate scaling in games.

The scaling should be linked to activity...not player levels and the like. Areas should become more dangerous the longer you are not near them. This would help drive exploration and not result in your own leveling being nullified by the enemies leveling with you.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: August 15, 2018, 04:31:57 am »

Yeah I'm never a fan of scaling in games, it completely defeats any sense of progress. For most games, the whole drive is 'I couldn't defeat that, but now I'm more skilled/levelled up/whatever I can'. It wasn't toooo bad in BB, but I wish they had the option to turn it off completely.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: September 10, 2018, 11:44:46 am »

Finally got around to getting this, but I'm having a hard time with it. Is it intended that after your first few missions that 1-skulls dry up and everywhere only has 2 skulls on Veteran? Because I can handle a single 2-skull mission with my baby merc group, but more than one in a row almost certainly kills me. I just can't take that kind of attrition with poor gear, and without a really lucky first couple of missions I can't possibly have good enough gear to deal with back to back 2-skulls.

I've even wandered around shopping for missions, but after visiting 4 towns (one a city with 3 missions), on day 6 I could only find a single 1-skull mission. Which ended up basically being a 2-skull, since it was all raiders in mail on top of a hill with a few archers to back them up.

Am I just getting bad luck or is there some trick to this game that makes it viable to just run 2-skulls with farmers running around in cloth armor wielding pitchforks and militia spears?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:19:32 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: September 11, 2018, 12:14:31 am »

Haha wrong thread, that's what I get for only reading the last post after walking away from my phone for an hour and a half
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 01:38:40 am by Man of Paper »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: September 11, 2018, 04:34:34 am »

Finally got around to getting this, but I'm having a hard time with it. Is it intended that after your first few missions that 1-skulls dry up and everywhere only has 2 skulls on Veteran? Because I can handle a single 2-skull mission with my baby merc group, but more than one in a row almost certainly kills me. I just can't take that kind of attrition with poor gear, and without a really lucky first couple of missions I can't possibly have good enough gear to deal with back to back 2-skulls.

I've even wandered around shopping for missions, but after visiting 4 towns (one a city with 3 missions), on day 6 I could only find a single 1-skull mission. Which ended up basically being a 2-skull, since it was all raiders in mail on top of a hill with a few archers to back them up.

Am I just getting bad luck or is there some trick to this game that makes it viable to just run 2-skulls with farmers running around in cloth armor wielding pitchforks and militia spears?

The way I tended to overcome that was by REALLY focusing on 1 or 2 characters and making them freaking rockstars/tanks and hoping they can make it through and slowly adding 1 more elite person per mission. When I tried to get everyone up at the same pace everyone was just too weak to matter at the end of the day. Maybe see if that gets you aywhere?

I tend to also get a shield wall with a few long arm weapons so that each enemy is getting smacked by 2 people while only one of your guys is getting attacked.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: September 11, 2018, 04:36:04 am »

@ Meph,

It does seem like the mostly dry up, yes. You probably do need to study up on does and don'ts, because this game has a lot of little things that will ruin it for you. For example, DONT USE THE BIG AXE. The game gives you one early on, but it is suicide. Your man will take arrows and blows like crazy. Give all your front line a shield ASAP. Breaking enemy shields is a waste of time any way, as it just makes the enemy wield two handed and get a bonus, and wastes your time....

Anyway, yes, I gave Battle Brothers another good run to see how it went. There's more game art now, more little events, more details. It's nice... but the level scaling ruined it for me the same as in the past. I've burnt myself out yet again...
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: September 11, 2018, 06:57:11 am »

@Meph, here are some tips and tricks for your run:
Always hire cannon fodder: cheap vagabonds and cripples who can be sacrificed to save a valuable merc. Best to deploy them on the flanks.
In the beginning go big on shields+spears. Don't use two-handers until you buy or find a heavy armour (at least 200 durability).
If you're out of money you can raid some caravans. You'll just have to designate a faction you don't like. You'll have to do that after War event starts anyway.
Fight archer-heavy gangs at night.
If the generated landscape is really unfavourable (enemies on high ground) consider retreating immediately and reengaging. There's no penalty to this tactic.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: September 11, 2018, 09:07:11 am »

Ok, thanks. I'll just have to figure out how to get my group in to shape quickly. I was already focusing on shield wall + archers/polearms for the most part. I had been using the axe a bit, but was suspecting that it wasn't a great strategy early on.

Does seem like strange game design to go from 1 to 2 skulls after only, like, 3 or 4 missions. Raiders are much, much better equipped and skilled than I can possibly be after so few mission. I can beat them with numbers, but I usually take losses.

Is buying mail for your good characters early a good strategy? I'd been putting the money into more bodies to swarm with.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: September 11, 2018, 09:44:29 am »

For archers I'd recommend to take Quick Hands perk to switch between Bow/X-bow and Longaxe instantly. Avoid TH weapons in your front row early on.

Sculls are not always indicative of mission's actual difficulty. For example, a 3 skull town quest can well be easier than 2 skull noble house quest. You can pick and choose. Like I find monster hunting easier than storming bandit camps early on, no matter how many skulls. Stay away from greenskins and undead no matter how many skulls until you have a sufficiently tough company.

Personally, I just slowly build up a core merc group while filling in the spaces with temporary mooks. The three starting dudes are usually alright (reroll if they suck too much) so I dress them up first, while hiring expendables. Eventually you'll hire a dude with really nice traits and stats. You might want to add him to your core group and start dressing him up pretty too. Buying elite mercs (raiders, hedge knights, mercenaries) is also usually a safe bet to find a core merc.
But in the first few weeks I go with just 4-6 core mercs, being content with taking heavy losses on cannon fodder's part.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: September 11, 2018, 10:05:42 am »

Ok, thanks for the tips!
Come play Mafia with us!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: September 11, 2018, 10:50:02 am »

Are one-handed swordmasters still pretty beefy, or has their time in the spotlight come to an end?

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: September 11, 2018, 10:54:06 am »

Max level duelists are pretty good. But are a pain to train.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: September 11, 2018, 05:13:39 pm »

I'd say duelists are pretty mediocre at the moment (and this is coming from a duelist aficionado!). Two handers tend to do way more damage and be way tougher. Duelists only really excel in niche situations or when using unique orc cleavers.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 98