Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 201602 times)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2014, 09:15:12 pm »

Women are, in point of fact, not as capable of kicking ass.

In a fantasy game with zombies and monsters, why not?
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2014, 09:42:07 pm »

Within the parameters of what he said, he is wrong. He was speaking for real life, and that statement is absurd. People need to keep a grip on reality.

Within the parameters of the game, the devs answered that. Refreshing to see a game that is focused on actual gameplay rather than popular gimmicks, though. Zombies and monsters will have different strategies and stats for each, presumably, and a female is just a male with a different skin. Which deserves art resources more?
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 10:18:35 pm »

I'm sorry, what was that?
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2014, 10:28:17 pm »

In the context of a medieval setting, most women wouldn't be as suited to fighting as men.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2014, 10:33:30 pm »

Oh yeah, that makes sense. I'm pretty sure Gervassen was talking about women in general though which is both wrong and sexist.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2014, 11:19:48 pm »

Blatant troll. There are sex differences. The effect of testosterone on muscle development is well known. Also, studies show that in boy-girl twins, the boy twin averages 20% more bone mass. Men are built to be stronger and sturdier against blows. I won't be frightened by you, not even on B12.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2014, 11:30:57 pm »

In the context of a medieval setting, most women wouldn't be as suited to fighting as men

Neither would most men. As well I thought the Vikings were more accepting of combat ready women.

Though gender role in military is an interesting subject... but all this is making me want to watch Hua Mulan again. Part of me likes it more then Disney Mulan.

The effect of testosterone on muscle development is well known

Indeed it is why when a hermaphrodite woman started winning the Olympics they were unsure how to handle it (I don't know what happened to her in the end).

Mind you don't underestimate the butt kicking ability of women. Sure they aren't going to win a global or country contest (except from a few sports I hear), but as I remember from a video of some guys fighting the world champion female kickboxer... OUCH! Plus to my knowledge the world title holder for the strongest punch in force per inch is held by a woman as well.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:41:02 pm by Neonivek »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2014, 11:53:32 pm »

Theres also the issue of using "realism" to justify not having women in a medieval battle.

In a historicaly-accuracy setting sure, but when you introduce zombies and monsters its simply not historically accurate.

You cannot simply use realism to justify something, while accepting other totaly unrealistic things, without a good explanation as to why realism applies here but not there.

The author has given that (the extra art burden), which is fair. But mere "realism" would not be a reason.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2014, 12:24:41 am »

Mere realism can be a reason.

But if you do that then you actually have to go the extra mile to be realistic.

I'd accept Mount and Blade's depiction to be pretty close to realistic handling of women for a Medieval setting relatively speaking (You can even get female grunts.. still disappointed they don't upgrade very far though... but then again I dislike that you cannot train up bandits very far either).

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2014, 05:31:22 am »

You guys need to chillax, if there is mod support in the game then yay, if not then pretend some or all of the battle brothers are ladies disguised as men.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2014, 05:45:01 am »

You guys need to chillax, if there is mod support in the game then yay, if not then pretend some or all of the battle brothers are ladies disguised as men.

Wait there really aren't any female battle brothers? I thought everyone was jumping the gun here.

Add a female face, don't care about the bust except with the non-armor... Mission accomplished. Sheesh :P

My major concern about this game is exp distribution. Given this is "You cannot redo a mission" type game I am curious if I'll need to spread the love or coddle a few elite units (It is actually the only reason I don't play any Fire Emblems... and is the part I dislike most about Wesnoth). But I'll consider this a Neonivek concern since I am pretty sure I am the only one who would care about such a thing.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:57:56 am by Neonivek »

Rap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2014, 11:53:03 am »

That being said... Any plans to include mod support? :)

Yes, we'd like to. While the engine is written in C++, most of the actual gameplay is scripted in Squirrel, a scripting language with a C-like syntax. In theory, anything from a small mod changing some stats, to adding female characters, to a total conversion could be modded via scripts without us having to do any substantial changes.

However, in practise there is a big difference between us, who know how everything works internally and can adjust the engine to our needs, to script something, and for someone else to do so. The exact amount of modding support (providing an API beyond our own immediate needs, writing documentation, updating our tools to be usable by anyone, etc.) that we'll provide is largely dependent on community demand. Since, again, our resources are quite limited, our priority is to our core game first, but mod support is something we could also add post-release.

My major concern about this game is exp distribution. Given this is "You cannot redo a mission" type game I am curious if I'll need to spread the love or coddle a few elite units (It is actually the only reason I don't play any Fire Emblems... and is the part I dislike most about Wesnoth).

I'm not sure I get what your concern is exactly, but if you could give me more of an explanation I'd do my best to answer your questions.

In general, it is a good idea to have everyone actively participate in battle and gain experience, and not just rely on a few elite units that do all the work. The elite troops + human meatshields tactic might work but a) can easily lead to infectious morale failures which has some or all of your men, including the elite ones at some point, break and flee, and b) leaves you very vulnerable if you just lose one or two of your elite troops. While well-equipped veteran troops will, of course, be harder to take down, they'll never be untouchable to the average enemy or outscale fresh troops by crazy margins.

The exact model of experience distribution isn't something we've finalized yet, but Battle Brothers won't just gain experience for delivering the killing blow (which, imo, leads to very artificial and gamist considerations like keeping enemies alive until the "right" unit can kill it), but for actively participating in a battle.
Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
Dev Blog - Twitter - Facebook

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2014, 01:02:23 pm »

Oh my god, it wasn't me saying it this time.  Hello, pal.

For the OP, there's some other considerations you might find relevant, as well, for future endeavors.

Unlike adding women, you would only need to swap in some more male heads.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

AndClayton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2014, 01:28:06 pm »

Interesting premise, I'd definitely pay 20 bucks for it.

...I just don't like how the unit icons kind of look like Weebles.

"Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!"

Rap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2014, 09:34:30 pm »

For the OP, there's some other considerations you might find relevant, as well, for future endeavors.

Unlike adding women, you would only need to swap in some more male heads.

If we're adding things to the game, we should do them right and not stop at mere superficialities such as skin color. We discussed early on how having different cultures could add to the game. An oriental culture, for example, that comes with its own architecture, medieval-era weaponry and armor, as well as mythology and monsters derived thereof, could add a lot of variety to gameplay. Unfortunately, doing things right means a lot of work. Work we can't afford for the time being.
Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
Dev Blog - Twitter - Facebook
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 98