Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick linux report  (Read 625 times)

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quick linux report
« on: February 28, 2014, 08:59:31 am »

I've been busy lately, so not much DF.  I've got 4h running under linux, same as previous versions, and so far it runs fine.

There are still occasional crashes, seemingly more than I remember from the 3 series, but I tend to leave it running for days at a time - I now save/restart after major events, and the seasonal saves help a lot.

I'm looking for a way to get QT5 on my box - I'm running Gentoo, and they're not in the main portage line yet, and doing the overlays hoses other parts of the system - maybe I'll try The Ancient Way, by doing a straight install from tarballs into /usr/local.  Then I can compile Therapist from scratch, and create an up-to-date MDF package for linux.  The old 3a3 Therapist still runs fine.

In the meantime, I've struck galena-bearing rock.

yaymeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quick linux report
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 03:23:57 pm »

If it's only DT-Splintermind and/or DFhack and maybe qt you need to recompile you can check out the AUR. Getting qt-5 to compile from scratch sounds like a huge PITA... it'll probably try to drag all sorts of stuff with it, like maybe a newer version of libgl that doesn't work with your version of X or simply just something completely random that doesn't work with anything :D. Might be easier to compile it from a vbox or arch boot cd.

Good luck with the packaging! I couldn't keep a folder clean enough for that if my life depended on it, don't know how people do it ;)

Had more crashes at first too with 4h, but those went away after I semi-randomly moved things forth and back between the native & windows versions until everything was such a huge mess that my machine stopped crashing out of sheer fear of what I might try to do next :3