Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: New Forum Member  (Read 11102 times)

Shobak

• Bay Watcher
  • May be slightly unhinged.
    • View Profile
New Forum Member
« on: February 28, 2014, 12:15:11 pm »

Hello, World!
After lurking the forums for a rather long time I finally decided to register - here I am! - and tought it would be best if I introduced myself (or, at least, made my existence known) before barging in and/or possibly derailing any conversation.
So... hello, everyone!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 12:18:14 pm »

Making a topic just to introduce yourself is a bit much. And just popping into a discussion would of likely been better. In any case hi and welcome to the forums I guess?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 12:23:20 pm »

Hi Shobak and welcome!

Well, making a topic just to introduce yourself is not a common practice here, but there's nothing really wrong with it either.  ;)
Seems like we lack some sort of "introduce yourself!" thread other communities have (unless we have one and it's buried somewhere?)...
Anyways, enjoy your stay!
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 12:31:07 pm »

Making a topic just to introduce yourself is a bit much. And just popping into a discussion would of likely been better. In any case hi and welcome to the forums I guess?
Ehh, I've seen it enough on other forums to justify someone believing it important. In this case he (and I went and looked this one up) was wrong, but I could certainly imagine it being the case.

Hello there.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 12:34:42 pm »

Hello, World!
After lurking the forums for a rather long time I finally decided to register - here I am! - and tought it would be best if I introduced myself (or, at least, made my existence known) before barging in and/or possibly derailing any conversation.
So... hello, everyone!

Welcome to bay12 general discussion, where we have this peculiar phobia against any thread that doesn't have at least 48 pages behind it ;)

All sarcasm aside, welcome to the community. I don't think we're really that close-knit to justify a hello-world thread, as nobody would really notice somebody as being new if you just dropped in on a discussion (especially considering Toady's great move to not show post counts below usernames).
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 12:38:08 pm »

But what if we want to unfairly judge people with arbitrary standards?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 12:42:37 pm »

That's what checking the profile page is for.

Post more in curses, scrub :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 12:48:04 pm »

Once I saw an Escaped Lunatic first post that didn't have a bunch of posts after it complaining about the guy. It was rare and magical, and fled through the trees before I could let fly my arrow.

Welcome~
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Shobak

• Bay Watcher
  • May be slightly unhinged.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 01:00:37 pm »

Thank you all for the welcome.

I looked for an introductions thread, but if there is one is well hidden, and I didn't want to just pop in a discussion, so I went ahead and made a new thread.  :-\
But, now that I know that this isn't common practice I'll try to rember if I ever die and am reincarnated.  :)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 02:06:36 pm »

Hello, Shobak. See you around or something.

Never saw anybody complain about ELs before, but maybe I have not been here long enough. I'm totes neutral on the matter.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 02:25:50 pm »

Hello, ignore the people being rude.

Is it just me, or is Bay12 beginning to feel a little xenophobic, now?
It's the lower boards. We're like, more xenophobia, less magma.

However, I must disagree with anybody who says Shobak shouldn't have created a thread for the sole purpose of introducing himself. Threads are often created for much more arbitrary reasons. And this thread is gonna make his Escaped Lunatic status go away, so he (she, they, whatevs) will be subjected to less old man grumblings.

Ignore them, they're all gentlemen geese. Or guise. Gentleman forumites in the guise of geese guys.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 02:38:10 pm »

I for one liked that escaped lunny status and would have liked to keep it longer. But seriously, if threads like these are problem then we should make dedicated Introductions thread and sticky it.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 04:03:05 pm »

I do blame the game maker.

Hello, anyway, Shobak.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 04:15:33 pm »

I do blame the game maker.

Hello, anyway, Shobak.

Ha!

And welcome to the peanut gallery.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 04:47:39 pm »

Hello, ignore the people being rude.

Is it just me, or is Bay12 beginning to feel a little xenophobic, now?
It's the lower boards. We're like, more xenophobia, less magma.

However, I must disagree with anybody who says Shobak shouldn't have created a thread for the sole purpose of introducing himself. Threads are often created for much more arbitrary reasons. And this thread is gonna make his Escaped Lunatic status go away, so he (she, they, whatevs) will be subjected to less old man grumblings.

Ignore them, they're all gentlemen geese. Or guise. Gentleman forumites in the guise of geese guys.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, it's just that I've noticed, it used to be, with threads like this, everyone saying hello. Now it's a number of people saying there was no point. Not a great start to being on a forum.

Then in other games, when someone would make an account to advertise a game, it was generally a warning. I've seen people indirectly tell the thread maker to fuck off, recently.
Yea, we have a range of reactions to escaped lunatics advertising games in Other Games.  From welcoming to fuck off.
It may depend on the quality of the post... some are quite barebones... which I agree is more deserving of berating. 
It may even depend on whichever forum member comes along first...

As for introduction threads... I'm in the 'we don't really need one' camp.  Just show up in a discussion and put your say.  It is how I got started. 
There are way too many forumgoers that come and go for each and everyone to post an introduction.

Counterpoint: We are not Xenophobic.  Escaped Lunatics can jump in any thread and as long as they contribute to it, noone would even bat an eye.  We'd treat em as we would any of our other brethren.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: [1] 2 3 4