Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress; Live! (Twitch Streaming)  (Read 4875 times)

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress; Live! (Twitch Streaming)
« on: March 02, 2014, 04:37:56 am »

Hello forum goers!

I've recently gotten back into Dwarf Fortress after... at least a year's break, possibly more. Even before the break I was a rather basic player, and tended to play my embarks very, very safe.

I'd like to learn more about the game - and what better way to do that than by playing new worlds and sharing my awful failures with the community...Live!

The idea I present is that I get World Gen files from members of the forum. I'll choose one, most likely at random and create a world using those parameters, then sniff out a few embark locations which I'll let you vote on to play/stream until the fort crumbles. Dwarf nicknaming, suggestions and such will definitely be encouraged - that's the entire reason I want to stream.

Most of my forts of old used to be relatively self-sufficient, but I've not dabbled much with military or engineering and I stopped playing before minecarts were introduced and worn-out clothing became an issue. I also tend to go through world gen after world gen to find the 'perfect' embark - volcano, water, trees, iron, soil... the works. While I don't feel ready to step into scorching deserts or haunted taigas quite yet, having one world that I MUST choose from will hopefully curb this habit of mine and help me learn to cope in other situations.

I'll be playing DF in ASCII mode using Raving's square tileset from the wiki. The world (and Twitch) needs more ASCII Dwarf and honestly I can’t read graphical tilesets. I'm using the Lazy Newb Pack PeridexisErrant's Dwarf Fortress Starter Pack for its useful bundled utilities - Dwarf Therapist, Quickfort, DFHack (for bug fixes) and such.

I intend to stream on a regular basis, for at least a couple of hours three days a week or so. I know a LOT of that time will be management, but hopefully there shall be hijinks too! I'll only play the fort on the stream, so there won't be sneaky goings-on in between when no one's watching.

Right now I’m thinking of streaming say… 7-9PM my time on Monday, Tuesday and Saturday to start with (unless I'm not available). Sessions always could end up going longer if I get into the game and people are watching, of course.

I’m Australian so the times will be a little strange to some, let’s have a look here. 7PM my time (+1030 hours since we’re under daylight savings until April)  is apparently 4:30am EST so I apologise to those in the US. If I get enough interest I could try and make one of the weekly sessions at a more convenient time but that would have to be discussed later.

I'll be cross-posting highlights to threads in both the official Dwarf Fortress forum and BrokenForum and will of course allow namings and suggestions from those who can’t make the stream times!  Major decisions will be discussed and voted on in between sessions to allow all a chance to have their say.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:33:17 pm by Ledi »
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

pastafriend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress; Live! Give me a WorldGen and watch the Fun!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 05:25:17 am »

Let me get this right. You want other players to gen a world for you. After which you'll find a good spot in a randomly chosen world by another player?

Should be fun!

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 05:29:57 am »

Let me get this right. You want other players to gen a world for you. After which you'll find a good spot in a randomly chosen world by another player?

Should be fun!

More or less! Instead of them genning the world themselves it'll be much faster if they just supply me with the World Gen text file, either with a random seed or one they've set themselves. I figured that way no one needs to upload anything if they don't have hosting/limited bandwidth, just post some spoilered code that I'll copy into a folder of collected World Gens. ^^
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 01:20:54 am »

*polite cough* If someone could provide me with a world gen I'd be able to start with that part of the fun! XD

For now, I intend to stream one of my old forts tonight... year 2, goblins are angry and I've only JUST set up forges. Oh, and a hill giant killed the elves. Free stuff! And all my military is dead.

Sorry for the double post.

Edit: Stream is over, thanks to all who were watching. My first siege! XD
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:33:32 pm by Ledi »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 03:21:26 am »

Ok, here it is.
Code: [Select]
[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:CREATE WORLD NOW = 5354443]
[SEED:i6AK6ui8cywa0cggOegs]
[HISTORY_SEED:mAsGO4U44cmYAsae2K62]
[NAME_SEED:kE4gW6wiiseaY8ocGwu4]
[CREATURE_SEED:mWU0ySIegMaAYkkmE2um]
[DIM:257:257]
[EMBARK_POINTS:1324]
[END_YEAR:250]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:250:-1]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
[ELEVATION:1:400:1600:1600]
[RAINFALL:0:100:400:400]
[TEMPERATURE:25:75:400:400]
[DRAINAGE:0:100:400:400]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:400:400]
[SAVAGERY:0:100:400:400]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:3:1:1:2:2:3]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[MINERAL_SCARCITY:2500]
[MEGABEAST_CAP:112]
[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:225]
[TITAN_NUMBER:49]
[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
[DEMON_NUMBER:52]
[NIGHT_TROLL_NUMBER:26]
[BOGEYMAN_NUMBER:26]
[VAMPIRE_NUMBER:26]
[WEREBEAST_NUMBER:26]
[SECRET_NUMBER:52]
[REGIONAL_INTERACTION_NUMBER:52]
[DISTURBANCE_INTERACTION_NUMBER:52]
[EVIL_CLOUD_NUMBER:26]
[EVIL_RAIN_NUMBER:26]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:24:244:0]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:24:244:0]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:12]
[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:4]
[VOLCANO_MIN:4]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:252:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:252:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:1008:3:2]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:2016:2:2]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:2016:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:63:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:126:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:2016:3:2]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:2016:3:2]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
[RIVER_MINS:100:100]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
[SUBREGION_MAX:3500]
[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:60]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:90]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:160]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:15000]
[SITE_CAP:2000]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:33000:4032:2016]
[RAIN_RANGES:2016:4032:2016]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:2016:4032:2016]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:2064:8256:16512]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:2016:4032:2016]
world map link: http://tinypic.com/m/i2vhwl/2
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 03:58:58 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is a fun looking map, lots of interesting embarks.

That little red outcove on the southern-east most continent, is that some type of desert swamp?
*Create potion of immortality*
*Potion Created! Drink potion*
*Immortality gained!*
*You have lost your soul!*

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 04:24:04 am »

That little red outcove on the southern-east most continent, is that some type of desert swamp?
No, that's just red sand desert.
I like that evil glacier, that is south from mountain chain of north-central continent. It borders joyousl wild forest, and potentially will have undead unicorns and satyrs.
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 04:36:06 am »

No, that's just red sand desert.
I like that evil glacier, that is south from mountain chain of north-central continent. It borders joyousl wild forest, and potentially will have undead unicorns and satyrs.

Didnt even notice that little gem of an embark point, looks like alot of !!F-... I mean, a good place for Ledi to make his first attempt at this thread :)) 
*Create potion of immortality*
*Potion Created! Drink potion*
*Immortality gained!*
*You have lost your soul!*

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 07:02:55 am »

Ooh, a worldgen! I'll have a looksee and see what I can find!

Not the evil glacier, though... like I said above that was my first survived siege for my other fort today. I really wasn't kidding when I said I have very little military experience. Heck, I don't even know how to pierce an aquifer. >.> Those sorts of reasons are what led me to this idea in the first place.

Hopefully I'll have some embark possibilities up before Saturday.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 08:57:19 am »

Here are two world gens that produce some neat results. The first contains my all time favorite volcano/river embark site. It's a medium world with a lot of volcanism, monsters and savage biomes but this is balanced by a lot of minerals. The volcano embark I spoke of is located in the west of the map slightly to the west of the tip of some mountains. With a 3x5 embark you can have both the volcano in the east and the river in the west along with untamed desert wilds in the north and a tropical grassland wilderness to the south. The site contains everything required for a steel, glass, wood and farming industries and some interesting local wildlife. It is a relatively large site that runs only slightly faster than a 4x4 embark so if your computer chugs a bit on a 4x4 you might want to avoid it.

The second world gen I included because it has a large river system running down the center of the continent that has dug out an extensive system of canyons with countless waterfalls. There are slightly more caves than normal. This world has a lot of volcanism and savage biomes along with abundant minerals and is designed to run with even a longer history than the first one. Even at a thousand years you should still have things like dragons running around, full sized adult dragons at that. It was one of my primary goals to create a world where 1000 year old dragons could exist. Be warned. If you don't run the history for at least a few hundred years to thin out the herds of mega beasts this world will be absolutely teaming with them.

I should also add that the minimum pop that titans can attack you has been increased by 10. I did this because I'm a newbie and I found that the sort of titans you run into after a thousand year world gen are truly dangerous enemies as they are the ones that have survived through centuries of battle. These worlds also have more necromancer secrets than normal as the increased savage biomes I added seem to inhibit necromancer towers from forming as often and it sort of balances things out a bit.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 09:26:17 am by Melting Sky »

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 06:12:35 am »

Thanks Melting Sky, I'll add those to the worldgen filofax for future reference! As I get more generation files I'll pick one at random after a fort falls to generate as the new Dwarven Realm. I should make up a reason why I need a new world each time.. maybe the fort is tied to the thread of the world and if it falls the entire thing unravels. Or implodes. Plane-hopping Dwarfs!

UPDATE!

Now we have a world! I generated it last night and spent a bit of time looking around. It’s interesting and some parts of it make me go very ‘nope’. I turned aquifers back on because I need to learn how to deal with them...sometime (you might notice no area has a full aquifer though ^^;). Temperature is currently off for FPS reasons since it’s only really important if I’m in a freezing/scorching biome or something catches on fire.

I decided that I was going to choose five possible embark sites for each world. I’m pretty sure I know which of these is going to end up being the one, but I promised choices!

To vote for which embark to use, I created a StrawPoll.me poll at http://strawpoll.me/1261730. Please only vote once! Voting closes at 5pm ACDT Saturday, and I will embark on the stream at 7pm ACDT. Feel free to make suggestions as to what and who I should bring!

The choices (images in spoilers for size):

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:33:51 pm by Ledi »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 06:17:49 am »

Site 3 - wild swamp/desert!

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 07:12:18 am »

Those are some pretty cool embark sites. It looks like the straw poll is going to land you in a pretty challenging embark. Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:29:26 am by Melting Sky »

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 07:29:40 am »

Those are some pretty cool embark sites. It looks like the straw poll is going to land you in a pretty challenging embark site.

As I said in the post, I was pretty sure what world would be picked. I know my fellow forumites. XD

Hey, if it all goes south, we try somewhere else! I'll learn useful stuff in the meantime.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 02:46:50 am »

Well, at 3 votes to 1 vote to 1 vote, the Cold, Sinister Mountain embark wins… as I pretty much expected! This is going to be an… interesting evening, I can tell. XD

Edit: And we're done, and... things went about as Fun as expected... six necro towers in the vicinity, it rained blistering ooze, and migrants arrived just in time to be killed by a beserking ...miner, I think it was.

I forgot to get screenies this time, but I'll link the broadcast archive when twitch processes it.

That fort crumbled, so I spent the last fifteen minutes of the stream going to the mirthful embark and looking around.

This week there will be no Tuesday stream, as I'll be out of the house. Monday's is still planned however!

Thank you for those who watched me fail spectacularly at my first ever evil biome embark XD
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 05:43:11 am by Ledi »
Pages: [1] 2 3