Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39

Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons 4e: REPLACEMENTS WANTED  (Read 44904 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Dungeons and Dragons 4e: REPLACEMENTS WANTED
« on: March 02, 2014, 09:56:12 pm »

Hear ye, hear ye!

Eight Seven heroes have risen to drive back the evil creeping up from the depths of Ekris!

They were once listed in this place: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136667.msg5038648#msg5038648

They are:

David the Goliath - My Name is Immaterial
Keyleth the Elf - Sirus
Lord Rhogar Firehand the Dragonborn - ShadowHammer
Cromwell Jackson the Half-Elf - Mastahcheese
Erza Ben-Shachar the Tiefling - Zako

Perrin the Halfling - The Ensorceler
Damirion the Eladrin - Cmega3

Welcome to my Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition Homebrew Campaign, featuring the adventures and endeavors of these heroic and not-so-heroic warriors!

They battle evil under the Light of the Fate Sages, guiding their every move with rolls of a d20! They seek to cast off those mortal bonds that hold them and ascend to glory! They seek to travel to the depths of Ekris and smite the Evil Lord with an Undisclosed Name sending his Dark Minions unto their fair home Ekris! And they seek to fight off those who try to sound like a cliche town crier to get people to watch a thread--

Aw crap.

Anyway, this is a D&D campaign from a first-time DM, writing his own setting, own quests, and naming the god-king after himself.

So, y'know, this is the in character/action thread.

THIS is a map of the world as they know it!

And THIS is the backstory of the lands!

Quote from: Old Man Beld, the Spiritual Leader of a Small Hamlet in an Undisclosed Country
Once upon a time, there were these Fate Sages. These Fate Sages made a table, which came out spherical. Then they put lil' figurines of stuff on the table, and Aelgave the Life Sage brought 'em to life and created the sentient people of our lil' world.

This is a pretty typical Dungeons and Dragons campaign, with quests and interactions as our heroes seek to achieve a goal of some sort.

Below is an archive of all our old quests, including their introductory statements.

Timeline:
|-Our heroes are born.
|
|
|-Our heroes have a fateful encounter in Berklud and are supposedly the Heroes of Prophecy.
|-Our heroes are sent on their quest to the Temple of Prophecy in order to prove themselves.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 03:58:38 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons and Dragons: The Heroes of Ekris Homebrew Campaign
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 10:06:44 pm »

Walk up to the lamppost ((what variety of lamppost, by the way? Is it oil burning, or a candle? Or possibly magical?)) and read the paper.
((My remaining action will depend on what the paper says))

((Note that in my posts, actions are bold, OOC is in ((double brackets)), and IC speaking is in blue. It really helps keep things straight, and make sure that my offhand jokes don't result in my character performing random actions.

Also, was the beige intentionally hard to read? Or was that unintended?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:02:30 am by ShadowHammer »

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 10:35:02 pm »

Minor: Attempt to recognize the woman and thieves. (I do live here...)
Move;(Speed 6): Run after the thieves.
Free: Say to the woman, as I pass her,
"Fear not, although you don't appear to be afraid! I will apprehend yon thieving rogues!"
Move;(Speed 6): Continue running.
Free;(Bluff +6): Yell,
"Wait! You forgot something!" in an attempt to confuse or distract the thieves, while...
Free; (Quick Swap): ...drawing a handful of gold, arranging the coins between my fingers as improvised brass knuckles.

((I won't do all the action definitions unless, as now, they would be confusing without the notes. Other than that, standard font/coloring as described above.))

Edited for relevant numbers.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 12:02:23 am by The Ensorceler »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 10:38:55 pm »

Keyleth, keeping her face hidden under a hood, reads the message on the lamp post. She's not entirely sure what "thieves" are.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 11:41:48 pm »

David perks up. Some excitement! He attempts to scale a building to pursue the thieves, picking a random street.
Move: Run (Speed + 2 = 8 ) and climb the building (Likely DC 20. +10 bonus to Athletics and rolls jump or climb checks twice from race.)
Standard: If failed, try again. If not, pursue the thieves with a Run action.
Minor: Draw Sword.
Continue Move and Standard until I reach them.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 04:20:13 am »

Curious, Gharahrn walks up to inspect the note on the lamppost as well.
((Ok, I am drawing a blank here as I am not sure how Gharahrn would react.))

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 12:37:38 pm »

((Oh, crud, I need to talk... Nobody took cyan!))

"And I thought today would be boring!"
Cromwell Jackson slips into the shadows towards the nearest street that he saw some of the thieves run down, and gives chase, remaining unseen.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 01:40:43 pm »

Walk up to the lamppost ((what variety of lamppost, by the way? Is it oil burning, or a candle? Or possibly magical?)) and read the paper.
((My remaining action will depend on what the paper says))

((Note that in my posts, actions are bold, OOC is in ((double brackets)), and IC speaking is in blue. It really helps keep things straight, and make sure that my offhand jokes don't result in my character performing random actions.

Also, was the beige intentionally hard to read? Or was that unintended?

You walk up to the signpost. The note reads:

"If you find the Crown Jewels of the Halflady Elyd, you will be awarded twice their value in gold coins. Bring them to North Castle."

Also, the beige was not intended to be difficult to read. I'm toying with different things to show important stuff in otherwise unimportant posts.

Stop for a moment, and review the situation.

Is there high ground I can get to (or teleport to) quick enough that I can see the direction the "thieves" ran away in? If not, maybe I can follow the one closest to me, see if I can catch up to him and his mate and make them sleep.

((Also, thoughts are in italics, I presume.))

There is a ladder leading to the roof of a shop. There is a workman sleeping next to the ladder. The shop's roof is only half as high as North Castle, but you could get a good look at the passages from the top.

Minor: Attempt to recognize the woman and thieves. (I do live here...)
Move;(Speed 6): Run after the thieves.
Free: Say to the woman, as I pass her,
"Fear not, although you don't appear to be afraid! I will apprehend yon thieving rogues!"
Move;(Speed 6): Continue running.
Free;(Bluff +6): Yell,
"Wait! You forgot something!" in an attempt to confuse or distract the thieves, while...
Free; (Quick Swap): ...drawing a handful of gold, arranging the coins between my fingers as improvised brass knuckles.

((I won't do all the action definitions unless, as now, they would be confusing without the notes. Other than that, standard font/coloring as described above.))

Edited for relevant numbers.

This takes the course of one turn.

The woman appears to be the Halflady Elyd, the wife of the ruler of the town. The thieves are out of the market square already.

You chase a pair of shady shapes down North Street. They take a turn into an alleyway and you manage to follow.

As you run by, you shout to Elyd your, um, battle cry thing.

As the thieves run down the alley, before they get out of sight, you shout "Wait! You forgot something!" They stop and turn around, giving you a moment's advantage. You draw your coins...

FIGHT!

(I'll make a little map later)

(Also you have surprise on them!)

Keyleth, keeping her face hidden under a hood, reads the message on the lamp post. She's not entirely sure what "thieves" are.

"If you find the Crown Jewels of the Halflady Elys, you will be given twice their worth in gold coins. Bring them to North Castle."

David perks up. Some excitement! He attempts to scale a building to pursue the thieves, picking a random street.
Move: Run (Speed + 2 = 8 ) and climb the building (Likely DC 20. +10 bonus to Athletics and rolls jump or climb checks twice from race.)
Standard: If failed, try again. If not, pursue the thieves with a Run action.
Minor: Draw Sword.
Continue Move and Standard until I reach them.

David rushes down North Street after Perrin, although he does not know who Perrin is.

ROLL: ELEVEN!

David scales the wall and draws his sword. He sees Perrin doing this in the alley.

Curious, Gharahrn walks up to inspect the note on the lamppost as well.
((Ok, I am drawing a blank here as I am not sure how Gharahrn would react.))

"If you find the Crown Jewels of Halflady Elys, you will be rewarded twice their value in gold coins. Bring them to North Castle."

((Oh, crud, I need to talk... Nobody took cyan!))

"And I thought today would be boring!"
Cromwell Jackson slips into the shadows towards the nearest street that he saw some of the thieves run down, and gives chase, remaining unseen.

Cromwell pursues down Southwest Street and gives chase. He does not catch up to the thieves, but he pursues them like nobody's business.

Technically none of this has happened yet unless Zako and USEC_OFFICER are cool with standing there dumbstruck.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 01:54:55 pm »

That...didn't clear up Keyleth's confusion at all. What do crown jewels look like? Did you wear them on your head? And what were thieves?

She reasoned that perhaps those groups of running people knew something. Maybe if she asked politely, they would explain!

Take off running after the nearest group of thieves. Use that 7 speed to full effect! Also watch for low buildings Keyleth could potentially leap onto.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 02:01:28 pm »

David gives a mighty laugh and preforms a running jump-charge-thing at the thieves, rolling for initiative while in the air.

Move: Move up to the edge of the wall and jump onto the thieves. He is not running, only moving at normal speed,.
Standard: Use the jump to preform a charge at them.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 02:13:22 pm »

That...didn't clear up Keyleth's confusion at all. What do crown jewels look like? Did you wear them on your head? And what were thieves?

She reasoned that perhaps those groups of running people knew something. Maybe if she asked politely, they would explain!

Take off running after the nearest group of thieves. Use that 7 speed to full effect! Also watch for low buildings Keyleth could potentially leap onto.

(Since that was all that was on the note, that's all Keyleth knows about it.)

Keyleth follows those on Northwest-west street (usually called West street). They take a run down an alleyway, but Keyleth, the highly perceptive elf she is, follows them down the twists and turns of an alley. They run faster and eventually disappear from view. Keyleth only sees a dead end, until... wait! There's a trapdoor!

David gives a mighty laugh and preforms a running jump-charge-thing at the thieves, rolling for initiative while in the air.

Move: Move up to the edge of the wall and jump onto the thieves. He is not running, only moving at normal speed,.
Standard: Use the jump to preform a charge at them.

Your initiative dictates you go last.

You have surprise on them however and so first move after Perrin.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 02:16:43 pm »

I do not care much for the reward, but we cannot have criminals running about.
Gharahrn heads in the direction of one of the alleged thieves, Rhogar can catch up whenever.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 02:18:00 pm »

((I know that's all she knows. She's just very ignorant of the world outside her temple :p ))

Look for a way to open the door. If a way does not present itself, use Crane's Wings to attempt to smash it open.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 02:21:01 pm »

Vuplec examines the notice, and then heads to the North Castle.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 04:15:34 pm »

Keep chasing!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39