Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Choicescript - Choose Your Own Adventure Maker Template Thingy  (Read 4169 times)

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Choicescript - Choose Your Own Adventure Maker Template Thingy
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 08:48:01 pm »

Well, this looks really cool. I'll play it when I get a laptop.
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 07:22:28 am »

I can't wait to see what you guys do with it. Unfortunately I have way too many unfinished projects to work on to start testing it.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 10:32:03 am »

Hm, I had started on a Choicescript project a while back as a hobby, but abandoned it when Darth Real Life got in the way.  There's a novel I've been brainstorming on here lately that could be put into a CYOA format, so I might just do that.

Choicescript is extremely easy to pick up on, at least for me (and my coding experience is generally lacking beyond Python and HTML), though it can be a bit ugly for my tastes. I'd recommend picking up the Notepad++ Syntax Highlighter to make things a little easier to read and skim while you're working on the scripting portion.

Also, I'd be down for a 7-Day Choicescript contest... shall we make this happen?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:49:37 am by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 10:17:58 am »

Hm, I had started on a Choicescript project a while back as a hobby, but abandoned it when Darth Real Life got in the way.
Same here, but there was also a fatal bug in my Choicescript project (Zybourne Clock Redux) which also made coding Not Fun. I am right now in the process of taking my Choicescript project and reimplementing it into JavaScript though, so all is not lost.

I have used Choicescript a lot, but never for actual "legitimate" CYOAs. I tried making a "Hidden Agenda"-style game set in the Middle East, a random number generator, and a tabletop character generator for PARANOIA. Out of those projects, only the random number generator was successful, but the other projects could be theoretically completed in Choicescript. All it takes is dedication and Real Life cooperating.

So if you ever do your 7-Day Choicescript contest, don't limit yourself to CYOAs. The language is potentially more robust than that.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: 1 [2]