Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Secrets of Life and Death, a Necromancy Simulator (Version 0.0.2)  (Read 13455 times)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Re: Secrets of Life and Death, a Necromancy Simulator (Version 0.0.2)
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 06:40:26 pm »

Unfortunately all the "official" tutorials for using both Lua and LOVE basically just say,
"Hey look, this is a thing you can do!
What? How do you do it?
I dunno, you figure it out..."

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 06:49:40 pm »

This is why I suggested Python.
All of these smaller languages/engines/libraries are great and have awesome functions, but pretty difficult to find good help/tutorials on - best case it'll take you a while to figure everything out/learn the basics of lua and experiment; worst case you'll just get stuck.

Not to harp on about python (C/++, Java would be the similar) but it has such a huge tutorial and help base, that pretty much any question or need you have can just be typed into google and come up with 15-20 well thought out answers, tutorials and guides.

Lua is popular, and there are tutorials and stuff so I'm sure you won't get completely stuck, I'd just suggest a bigger player if it's your first programming attempt. Also, things like Python/Java/C open up loads of opportunities for other more serious projects/jobs/careers (if you're interested in that kinda thing). It sounds like a common sense thing, but I know a few people who have messed around with python for a few years and suddenly discovered they could get a job doing something they really love.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2014, 07:51:12 pm »

Well, Lua is frustrating me and Python just bores me so maybe I'm just not cut out for coding.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 07:07:58 am »

Well, Lua is frustrating me and Python just bores me so maybe I'm just not cut out for coding.

How does it bore you?

Coding is a difficult skill to acquire and does take some time, but it's certainly not boring once you get the hang of it. You just need to look at it objectively and focus on the end goal - you're not going to be able to make a half decent game (of that sort, you could make a good arcade game) without coding, and so just choose the language which is easiest/best for you. Python is the best in terms of help/tutorials/starting off, and none are really more 'boring' than another.

Also, if you use python get pycharm as your editor as it makes things much easier.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2014, 11:50:25 pm »

You should still try...

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2014, 11:45:40 am »

I am still trying. I'll be able to start working on it again tonight, and I should have a new release by Wednesday at the latest. The problem is, I don't have a machine I can use to write and test code, but I should get one tonight, so fingers crossed.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2014, 12:50:06 pm »

I know I said Wednesday, but I haven't had as much time as I thought to work on the game. I really wish I had a new release for you guys, but I want to get character generation finished before I release a new version

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2014, 09:04:19 pm »

PTW most definitely. I'd love a necro-sim.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2014, 11:17:36 pm »

Just letting everyone know, this is NOT DEAD. It's just being worked on very slowly. I know there haven't been any status updates since May, but I am working on it in bits and pieces. As soon as I actually finish chargen, which is about 4/5 of the way done, I can actually get to the fun bits.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2014, 02:54:17 am »

Awesome! Still looking forward to this!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2014, 03:26:17 am »

PTW. The design document is fantastic, by the way.

If you're using Python, I can probably help if you get stuck. Probably. There are also probably people here who are more competent than I, so asking me might not be the best of plans.
I don't know why I'm writing this any more.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2014, 09:35:19 am »

What have you decided to use? I know a lot of people would be up for helping, or at least getting involved in some way if they know the language.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2014, 01:32:31 pm »

I thought I said something in the thread about it earlier, but I'm using Lua and an engine called LOVE2D, an open source engine for 2D Lua games.
I can do most of the code myself, what I really need are assets. Sound effects, sprites, backgrounds and such. At some point I'd like to have a unique background for each different encounter and character generation option, but for now I just have the title screen The Fool made for me.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2014, 03:32:00 am »

For the most part, it sounds like a good idea to focus on placeholders for now, and if you need better assets, you can grab them later. Try not to have your weakpoint be your bottlekneck for the most part. I'll have to try the game at some point to see if I can give anymore advice beyond that, but basically, focus on finding a good core gameplay, and you'll hopefully get the assets in due time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5