Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Secrets of Life and Death, a Necromancy Simulator (Version 0.0.2)  (Read 13071 times)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Re: Secrets of Life and Death, a Necromancy Simulator (Version 0.0.1)
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 06:46:03 am »

So, update on progress.

I got the easy part out of the way; the character creation. It's really just a series of menus with a character sheet at the end. If I did it right, you should also be able to save your character to a file and load it later.

Just a warning: This is REALLY unpolished. It's basically something I threw together in a few hours of work while still learning how this program works. Things should work fine but they definitely won't look as good as they will in later versions. you can download it in the OP. It'll have Mac, Windows and Linux versions in the same archive, so just download it, extract the folder for your OS and toss the rest.
If you have any question or find any problems, let me know in the thread.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Secrets of Life and Death, a Necromancy Simulator (Version 0.0.12)
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 11:51:18 am »

Aaaand first bugfix is already done. I'm still having trouble with writing to files and then loading said files but otherwise, everything else should be in working order.

Next up, combat. I'm going to see if I can make some basic turn based strategy combat, although it definitely will be the hardest thing yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 12:34:31 pm »

Having taken a look at the design doc - if you want music like that, try some post-tonal (twelve-tone, serialist and the rest) stuff. It generally tends to sounds really, really horror-movie-score-ey.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 02:44:22 pm »

Having taken a look at the design doc - if you want music like that, try some post-tonal (twelve-tone, serialist and the rest) stuff. It generally tends to sounds really, really horror-movie-score-ey.
I'd really like to use original stuff if I can help it. If I do end up using something that wasn't made specifically for the game, it'll probably be a placeholder for later.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 02:47:58 pm »

I'd really like to use original stuff if I can help it. If I do end up using something that wasn't made specifically for the game, it'll probably be a placeholder for later.
Twelve-tonal music is actually pretty easy to make.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 06:35:06 pm »

Twelve-tonal music is actually pretty easy to make.

Well, yes, you can just basically ram your fingers on the keyboard randomly, then claim you did it on purpose. The problem is not coming off as ridiculous.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 08:57:05 pm »

New update on the way. Really, it's just the same old thing with an update to saving and a little playable area where you can move a little person around. Not much changed, but it was a huge learning step for me, and I haven't updated in a while, so I figure why not release it?

Download it in the OP, as always.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Secrets of Life and Death, a Necromancy Simulator (Version 0.0.2)
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 05:24:31 pm »

Downloaded and tried it. Still 100% more than I could code.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 12:08:02 am »

This is pretty intiguing. PTW.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 05:35:48 am »

PROGRESS UPDATE
Work is slow. I'm still trying to figure out how to make enemy AI work. I can give them pathfinding and line of sight, but making those work together is proving difficult. I still don't know how I'm going to do attacking and damage, either. Really, I think I might have inadvertently picked the most difficult thing to do first, but then again, I can think of a few things that would be more difficult.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 07:54:34 am »

I'd strongly suggest trying python (+ libtcod or one of the hundreds of other libraries). Things like gamemaker and construct are good for sprite based action/platforming games but they don't have the power or the depth needed to manage all the elements for an RPG sort of game like you're doing.

Although they'll seem easier to start with, I can guarantee you'll spend longer trying to get round their limitations and hacking stuff in than starting with a 'proper' language (I don't mean to sound elitist with that, but I don't know what else to call it). I seriously don't get why people are so intimidated by coding either, you can probably pick up python in two weeks of study and by a month be proficient in it. There are TONS of tutorials/resources (seriously, any problems you run into you can find hundreds of threads detailing how to fix it) and you'll come out with a proper game to show for your work.

Again, not to belittle your efforts, I just would hate to see you waste your time as this sounds like a great idea.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:56:27 am by Retropunch »
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 03:37:02 pm »

Well, with the help of a friend, I'm starting to learn lua so I can use LÖVE. Time to start over!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 05:36:01 pm »

PTW
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 05:44:34 pm »

Great to hear you're switching to a coding language. Lua is a friendly/good one to choose I think, so good luck with it!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5