Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minor Mod & Modders Resource - More Attacks  (Read 2471 times)

Syncing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minor Mod & Modders Resource - More Attacks
« on: June 29, 2013, 02:41:39 pm »

I love the combat logs, so I gave some of the weapons new attacks.

This mod is purely "cosmetical" (if you can call it that...)!

Includes:

That being said, this mod includes 25 new attacks for the following weapons:
- warhammer
- battle axe
- short sword
- mace
- spear
- large dagger
- pickaxe
And about a dozend for these weapons:
- whip
- bow
- crossbow
I'll add more over the time.

Also: No rebalancing. As I said, purely cosmetic.

Modders Resource (more or less):

I also included the notes I made whilst writing the new attacks. It's just words, so feel free to use it if you make a mod for yourself or similar. It's a small collection of different attacks, actions and other things, that can be set together to form a new attack. You can use them without asking me or anything, it's just words.

Screenshots:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Installation:

Extract the zip-file and copy the item_weapon.txt file into your Dwarf Fortress\Dwarf Fortress 0.34.11\raw\objects\ folder after backing up the existing file.
If you have a vanilla DF savegame, you can also replace the file in the save\raw folder.

Doesn't work together with: Any mod that alters the item_weapon.txt.

Download:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7794

Note:

English is not my native language and I'm sure you will find typos or grammatical errors. If you do so, post them here, or PM or whatever.

Adventurer Mode:

I don't really play Adventurer Mode, here are the negative points for the adventurers:
- huge list of attacks in adventurer mode
- some attack descriptions don't make a lot of sense in the adventurer mode
It's still playable though:

Changelog:
02.07.2013:
  • Added more weapons
  • Added a few verbs to the resource
  • Adjusted the sentences for adventurer mode
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 03:06:24 am by Syncing »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Minor Mod & Modders Resource - More Attacks
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 03:54:59 pm »

I'm actually inspired to add more flavourful attacks to my mod now. Also for your adventure mode odditiy just make the attack string look like this:

[ATTACK:EDGE:40000:6000:adjust your grip on the shaft then hack:grips the shaft harder and hacks:NO_SUB:1250]

[ATTACK:EDGE:40000:6000:perform a good swing chopping:performs a good swing and chops:NO_SUB:1250]

see how those work out for you :P

Syncing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 03:14:25 am »

Thanks for the feedback.
I had a similar idea, but now kinda took what you wrote up there and adjusted the sentences in the file. Also I added a few more weapons, see in the changelog. Maybe I can add some "attacks" to bolts and arrow that make sense.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 09:23:51 am »

attack strings for ammo only works when it's being used as a weapon, whenever a projectile (that has been fired/thrown/etc) it will use "hits,strikes" however the attack values do work just not the attack string

Syncing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 05:47:03 am »

Yep, I noticed that too - but okay, fair enough. I'll add stuff to all the weapons in the item_weapon.txt file, should be enough. There are some tools with attacks (dagger and other), but I feel like it's not very important. Same with dwarven fist attacks.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 06:50:11 pm »

I hate to necro this topic, but this is a great minor mod.
If the creator isn't using it, I might clean it up a little bit and post the cleaned-up version, (I wouldn't take all the credit, of course), as this is my one must-have mod. It adds a lot more variety to the combat, even if it is just cosmetic.
Again, apologies.

[EDIT: The creator hasn't been active in almost a year, should I just go ahead with the cleanup?]
Regards,
Dampe

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 10:43:26 am »

[EDIT: The creator hasn't been active in almost a year, should I just go ahead with the cleanup?]

I'd say go ahead, just make sure to give him a bunch of credit, just in case he comes back and gets mad.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 11:32:01 am »

I'd say go ahead, just make sure to give him a bunch of credit, just in case he comes back and gets mad.

Of course.
Most of the fixes would be in terms of grammar, but I'm sure I'd add in a couple more attacks beyond the ones already in the mod.

Also, the creator says the mod doesn't work with any mod that alters the item_weapon.txt.
From having played around with this mod for a couple weekends, I've found this to not be entirely true.
You can mod in more weapons and still use this mod, you just have to copy and paste any of the attacks that are pertinent to your new weapons. For example, I've been playing with a variety of firearms modded in, and so I'll just copy and paste the crossbow attacks that the More Attacks mod adds in into the firearms that would use it. So, in short, it does work with other mods, but you have to add all the attacks in manually, if that makes any sense.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:35:22 pm by Dampe »
Regards,
Dampe