Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Author Topic: Distant Colony v2 - Boardgame - Game Over!  (Read 17695 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Distant Colony v2 - Boardgame - Game Over!
« on: March 05, 2014, 04:34:53 pm »

Finally time to start up another round of Distant Colony. I've been playtesting it more and taking feedback, both from the last Forum version as well as my tabletop players. The rule set has been tweaked a good bit, which should help streamline some aspects as well as add in some more variety for strategies. For those interested, the last round can be found here.

All of the players will be running a settlement on an Alien planet that has recently been opened for colonization. You will add colonists of various types to your settlement, build various buildings, produce & consume resources, trade, and ultimately win by having the settlement with the best reputation. Reputation is gained through the buildings you have staffed at the end of the game as well as points accrued by certain buildings during the game.

For those that are into boardgaming, it's kind of a mix between Puerto Rico and Race for the Galaxy.

The game can hold up to six players, and most phases are simultaneous. I'll be running things and doing book keeping, but most turns should be able to run without my interference and in some cases the players could even start on the next turn without waiting for me. That said, regular activity from the players would be required to keep things moving. Assuming an average of a turn a day, the game should go for about a month.

Signups are now Open!

Player List
  • Kashyyk
  • GreatWyrmGold
  • Toaster
  • xelada
  • notquitethere

Replacement Queue

There are no more Colonists in the Colonist Pool - When the Available Colonists are gone the game ends

Space Station
Colonist Pool: 0
VP Pool: 0
Trade Environment: Expansion

Available Colonists:
    5 Unskilled

Available Resources:
ResourceAmountBuys AtSells At
Food1221
Basic Raw532
Rare Raw265
Basic Goods754
Rare Goods287
Basic Machines976
Soldier24VP3VP
Officer25VP4VP

Settlements

Kashyyk - Final VP 23
VPs: 14
Temporary Housing: 7 Unskilled
Reserved Colonist:
Wealth: 23
Resources:
Warehouse: 0/5
Contracts: 1 Machine, 1 Rare Goods
Size: 10/15
Colonial Center - Expert
Farm - 1 Unskilled
Farm - 1 Unskilled
Farm - 1 Unskilled
Farm Complex - 2 Unskilled
Laboratory - 1 Expert
Rare Harvester - 1 Skilled
Advanced Goods Factory - 1 Skilled
Market - 1 Unskilled

GreatWyrmGold - Final VP 
VPs: 0
Temporary Housing: 3 Unskilled, 1 Criminal
Reserved Colonist:
Wealth: 8
Resources:
Contracts: 2 Basic Goods, 3 Machines
Size: 10/15
Colonial Center - 1 Skilled
Farm - 1 Unskilled
Farm - 1 Unskilled
Farm - 1 Unskilled
Prison - 4 Criminals
Harvester - 1 Unskilled
Goods Factory - 1 Unskilled
Goods Factory - 1 Expert
Market - 1 Unskilled

Toaster - Final VP 11
VPs: 11
Temporary Housing: 2 Criminals, 1 Experts, 5 Unskilled
Reserved Colonist:
Wealth: 11
Resources:
Contracts: Officer
Size: 9/15
Colonial Center - 1 Expert
Farm - 1 Unskilled
Farm - 1 Unskilled
Farm Complex - 2 Unskilled
Harvester - Unskilled
Goods Factory - Skilled
Laboratory - Expert
Laboratory - Expert

xelada - Final VP 32
VPs: 14
Temporary Housing: 2 Skilled
Reserved Colonist:
Wealth: 6
Resources: 1 Machines, 1 Basic Goods
Warehouse: 2/5
Contracts: 1 Officer, 1 Machine
Size: 11/15
Colonial Center - 1 Skilled
Farm - 1 Unskilled
Farm - 1 Unskilled
Farm - 1 Unskilled
Barracks - 1 Unskilled
Barracks - 1 Unskilled
Harvester - 1 Unskilled
Goods Factory - 1 Unskilled
Machine Factory - 1 Skilled
Boot Camp -
Military HQ -

notquitethere - Final VP 47
VPs: 45
Temporary Housing: 2 Skilled, 3 Unskilled
Reserved Colonist:
Wealth: 5
Resources:
Contracts: Basic Goods
Size: 8/15
Colonial Center - 1 Expert
Farm - 1 Unskilled
Farm - 1 Unskilled
Barracks -
Barracks -
Officer School - 1 Skilled
Officer School - 1 Skilled
Boot Camp -

Turn Order:       
xelada
notquitethere
Kashyyk
GreatWyrmGold
Toaster

« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 04:16:33 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Colony v2 - Boardgame - [SIGNUPS]
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 04:35:22 pm »

Distant Colony is a game of settlement building. Colonists from the home worlds will arrive on a regular basis, as will trade ships looking to buy and sell raw materials and goods. On the planet itself your settlements will grow as you add colonists, build buildings, and go from a tiny subsistence center to a thriving city.

Your Goal is to have the most Victory Points at the end of the game. You gain victory points from certain buildings throughout the game as well as from the buildings you have staffed at the end of the game.

The Game will end when all Available Colonists have been used, all available VPs have been used, or a player has completely filled all of the space in their Settlement. Once a game ending condition is met, the Round will go through to its completion and then game will then end.

The game is split up into Rounds. Every round each player will secretly choose one of the six Phases that they want to have happen that turn and PM me their choice. Once all players have chosen, I will start the Round. All of the phases chosen by the players will happen that round, with the players who chose a given phase getting an advantage during that phase.

Phases

The Six Phases are as follows:
  • Survey: Alien planets have a great deal of data that can be gathered on them and sold, generating Wealth.
  • Colonization: Colonists from the home world arrive
  • Build: Each Player may construct a new facility in their settlement
  • Produce: Facilities produce resources, goods, wealth, or Victory points
  • Trade: Players may buy and sell goods with the trade fleets that visit the planet
  • Organization: Players my reorganize where their colonists are working

The Phases happen in order, and most phases are done simultaneously. A full breakdown of the phases and what they do will be presented later.

Players may Trade amongst themselves freely, regardless of Phase. Wealth, Resources, and Colonists may all be traded.

Colonists

There are four kinds of Colonists: Unskilled, Skilled, Expert, and Criminal.

Unskilled can only work on the more basic jobs of the colony. They are abundant and make up the majority of colonists that will be arriving.
Skilled can perform most jobs on the colony and are required for some of the more advanced jobs. They are rarer than the Unskilled colonists.
Experts can perform nearly any job on the colony and are required for the most advanced jobs. They are quite rare.
Criminals are, for the most part, simply a drain on your resources and cannot be assigned to work in the majority of buildings. They are, however, rather rare.

Resources

There are 6 types of Resources in the game: Food, Basic Raw Resources, Rare Raw Resources, Basic Goods, Rare Goods, and Machines.

Resources are physical items that take up space, and therefore must be stored. They are also physically bought and sold to Traders and can be traded between players. Resources are only available in limited quantities for trade, so the colonies must produce much of what they need themselves.

Food: The most common resource produced by any settlement, and also the most vital. Without food, no other work on the colony can get done.
Basic Raw Resources: Wood, Metals, Silicates, Gases, and the like. Useless by themselves, but can be refined into Basic Goods.
Rare Raw Resources: Precious Metals, Rare Earth Elements, Radioactives, and the like. Useless by themselves, but can be refined into Rare Goods.
Basic Goods: Everything from Building materials to Furniture to Office Supplies. They represent the common materials and items needed for civilized life and are needed to Build buildings or Machines.
Rare Goods: Luxury Goods, Advanced Circuitry, and other components needed for a higher standard of living or advanced manufacturing. They are needed for a few buildings.
Machines: From farm equipment to forklifts, machine presses, and electronics, machines make all Industry work. They are required for many buildings.

Buildings

There are five different category of Buildings: Colonial Infrastructure, Farming, Harvesting, Manufacturing, and Scientific.

Colonial Infrastructure includes your starting Colonial Center, Warehouses, Universities, Markets, Resorts, and Prisons.
Farms provide food for the colony. There are basic Farms, large Industrial Farms, and specialized Xeno Farms to cultivate alien life forms for study.
Harvesters gather the raw resources of the planet. There are basic Harvesters, large Harvester Complexes, and advanced Rare Harvesters to extract Rare resources.
Manufacturing buildings produce Goods or Machines. There are basic Goods Factories and Machine Factories, large Goods Factory Complexes and Machine Factory Complexes, and specialized Rare Goods Factories
Scientific Buildings product Victory Points. There are basic Laboratories and large Laboratory complexes

All buildings that have Staff will only work if their Staff is fed during the phase that the building is used.

Buildings also have a Size, generally 1 or 2. You have 15 total spaces in your Settlement available. One is already used by your Colony Center and one more by your starting Farm, leaving you 13 spaces to use during the game.

Spoiler: Buildings List (click to show/hide)

Wealth
Wealth is used as a general trade medium. Resources are bought and sold with wealth, and it can be traded amongst players.

Phases: Detail
Survey
  Basic Effect: Each player gains 1 Wealth
  Played Effect: You gain 2 Wealth instead of 1

Colonization
  Basic Effect: Each player takes 1 available colonist in turn, beginning with the Starting Player. Players also get any reserved colonists they have selected.
  Played Effect: In addition to the colonist(s) you gain, you also get to Reserve a colonist. Take any 1 available colonist from the source pool. Next time Colonization is performed, you gain that reserved colonist.
  Note: Colonists go into 'Temporary Housing' during this phase, not assigned to buildings.

Build
  Basic Effect: Each player may build one building, paying the appropriate costs to do so, and staff it immediately. If the building can hold more than one colonist, you may staff it to full capacity. Staff may come from Temporary Housing or other buildings, but colonists taken from buildings are not replaced.
  Played Effect: You may Build and Staff one additional Building this Phase.

Production
  Basic Effect: Each player may use any buildings with a Production Action (Farms produce food, Factories convert raw resources to good, etc.). They may be used in any order the player wishes.
  Played Effect: One colonist you activate this turn is Free (does not cost Food). Note this is Colonist, not Building, so additional Staff still require Food.

Spoiler: Production Example (click to show/hide)

Trade
  Basic Effect: Each player trades with the Station in turn, beginning with the Starting Player. Any resources bought by the player are gone from the station, and any resources sold by the player are available for other players to buy. In addition, Soldiers and Officers may be traded to and from the Station for VPs. You may not go below 0 VP through trading.
  Played Effect: In addition to the normal Trade, You may add a Contract to make a single resource available for purchase at a later date. You may have up to six contracts total. (For example, you could have contracts for 4 Food, 1 Basic Goods, and 1 Machine). Available Contracts may be used to purchase resources that are currently unavailable, but at whatever the current rate for that resource is.

Spoiler: Trade Environments (click to show/hide)

Organization
  Basic Effect: Each player may reorganize their colonists, moving them as needed between buildings and temporary housing. All building restrictions must still be met.
  Played Effect: In addition to reorganizing colonists, Gain First Player. If multiple players played Organization, than the next in line from the current first player gets First Player. The other player(s) may choose one other Phase played this turn and get its Played effect instead.

End Game Scoring

At the end of the game, each player tallies up the following to get their final score:
   All VPs gained from Staffed Buildings at the end of the game. Unstaffed buildings only give VP if they do not take staff (ex, Warehouse)
   All VPs gained during the game from Production
   -1 VP per unemployed Colonist, except Criminals, Soldiers, and Officers
   -2 VP per unemployed Criminal
   0 VP per unemployed Soldier and Officer
   1 VP for every 10 Wealth, rounded down. Convert all remaining Resources to their Wealth sell value using the Standard Trade Environment before doing this step.

Turn Information:

We will start each turn by having everyone PM me their Phase Choices for the round. Once all phase choices are in, I will reveal the Phases for the round and people can then post their turns. In general, unless your actions effect someone else or are effected by what other people do you are free to post your turn out of order. (For example, if Colonization is happening and there is 1 Expert and 5 Unskilled it is perfectly safe for most people to just assume they're getting an Unskilled). You are welcome to PM your Phase choice to me early if you know what it will be.

Turn Post:
  Please post your Turn in the following format. This will make it much easier for me to process the turns without errors. You may omit any Phases not occurring this turn.

Survey: Wealth gained, Resource Change (if you have a Survey Station)
Colonisation: Colonist(s) claimed. Colonist Reserved (Phase Bonus)
Build: Building(s) built
Production:
   Farms: +X Food
   Harvesters: -x Food, +x Raw
   Factories: -x Food, -x Raw, +x Goods/Machines
        Labs: -x Food, +x VP
        Others: As necessary (- Food, Colonist changes, etc)
Trade: +/- x Resources, +/- x Wealth
Organization: Colonist moves

Player Trade:  X Resources/Wealth/Colonists To/From Player

Net: +/- Resources, +/- Wealth, +/- Colonists, +/- VP
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:51:15 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 04:53:24 pm »

I'm up for this again. Unless you'd prefer new people instead?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 04:54:43 pm »

I'm up for this again. Unless you'd prefer new people instead?

Either way works for me.
Come play Mafia with us!

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 05:30:14 pm »

I don't really feel like playing, sorry about that, but I will be watching.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 07:34:47 pm »

I'm game.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 07:35:27 pm »

I'll take another swing.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Colony v2 - Boardgame - [SIGNUPS 3/6]
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 11:47:14 am »

Cool.

I'd like to have at least 4 players, so I'll leave sign-ups open for a bit.

In the meantime, do you guys have any questions about the new rules? I suggest you look over the building list, since there are quite a few changes in there from last time.
Come play Mafia with us!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 12:04:25 pm »

Typo:

Boot Camp (Military)
    Cost: 1 Basic Goods
    Staffing: 1 Criminal, 1 Officer
    Effect: Converts the staffed Colonist into an Officer
    Size: 1
    End VP: 1

Shouldn't the underlined be "Criminal into a Soldier?"

Also, for military, is the only way to get the officer you need to make other officers to buy it in trade?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 01:05:33 pm »

Why can't you buy non-military people?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 01:11:59 pm »

It's probably better to think of soldiers/officers as trade goods instead of people.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 01:19:46 pm »

Good catch, I'll fix that.

Yeah, Military personnel are more like trade goods than regular colonists. You're basically trading favors with off-world governments to either bring some in or send yours off, which is why they work on VP.

The played Colonization phase ability is basically 'paying' in some fashion to bring in the other type of colonists you want.
Come play Mafia with us!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 01:27:57 pm »

Why can't you buy colonists during the Trade phase, then?
Sig

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 01:31:33 pm »

Why can't you buy colonists during the Trade phase, then?

Bureaucracy.

On a more rules level, it's all for game balance and mechanical flow.
Come play Mafia with us!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 03:25:37 pm »

Since they represent actual people, they'd probably resent being in cargo ships and the like.

Military folks are trains to not care, or something.  They're SPACE MARINES so they eat care for breakfast.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24