Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: An intelligent conversation on the "paranormal"  (Read 13916 times)

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: An intelligent conversation on the "paranormal"
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2014, 05:12:14 pm »

I may not "believe" in ghost, aliens, magical energies... but that's not the point, is it?

What both parties, pseudo-scientists and actual scientists, seem to misunderstand is that myths are stories, not manifestos or primitive attempts at science. I believe that Lewis (or Tolkien?) said that "no one ever propounded the 'theory' of Demeter and Persephone" as an explanation for the seasons: it was just a story, incorporating cultural icons (the gods) as characters in an imaginative tale. Sure, some people believed it; some others probably tried to "debunk" the myth. But they'd all have been missing the point.

As I see it, it's the same today. There are the rabid believers in the factual truth of ghost stories or alien abductions, and the (pardon me) equally rabid rationalists trying to "de-mythologize" everything. I myself enjoy a good tall tale - and while a part of me knows paranormal accounts to be false, a greater part of me just doesn't care.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2014, 05:23:36 pm »

Acupuncture is no better than a placebo, it just doesn't work.

It's not a placebo if it doesn't work :P
Love, scriver~

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2014, 05:48:00 pm »

The fact that it's no better than a placebo implies that the actual mechanism proposed by acupuncture does not work.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2014, 05:50:32 pm »

The better question is why placebos work in the first place.
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2014, 05:56:44 pm »

Because your mind is connected to and orders around your body. While you might not be able to explicitly tell your cells to do something, the evidence suggests that mindset does have an effect (mind you, a lot of the effect is also countering the psychosomatic illness that tends to develop as a result of the physical illness).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2014, 06:10:43 pm »

It also supposedly goes both ways, which is where it starts getting creepy.
Love, scriver~

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2014, 06:18:34 pm »

Then there's sympathetic pregnancy
I've heard it can even cause men to lactate
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:21:21 pm by Askot Bokbondeler »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2014, 06:48:13 pm »

In the concept of aliens and UFO's and stuff like that, I believe that aliens most likely exist somewhere in the galaxy, but not so much in that they have made contact.
Or that, in the event that they have made contact, they have determined humans to not be worth talking too.
I mean heck, if I were an alien, and saw some of the insane stuff that some people do, I wouldn't want to stick around for too long.

My views of other things, such as magic and supernatural creatures, however, I'm more firm to disbelieve it. Particularly ghosts and insubstantial beings.
I'm rather odd, however, in that I have an utterly illogical fear of vampires, though, despite not believing in them.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2014, 07:50:04 pm »

I mean heck, if I were an alien, and saw some of the insane stuff that some people do, I wouldn't want to stick around for too long.

You have to be careful not to project human ideals onto aliens. Humans sometimes like to look at themselves and observe that some of the things that they do are crazy and insane, and then assume that aliens would think the same way.

For all we know stuff like wars, nuclear armament, video-games/movies etc could be a common occurance in an evolving intelligent species, and these aliens may not at all find what we are doing insane at all.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2014, 07:58:36 pm »

I was referring more so to things like Law enforcement personnel killing the people they're supposed to protect and things like that.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2014, 08:28:09 pm »

I may not "believe" in ghost, aliens, magical energies... but that's not the point, is it?

What both parties, pseudo-scientists and actual scientists, seem to misunderstand is that myths are stories, not manifestos or primitive attempts at science. I believe that Lewis (or Tolkien?) said that "no one ever propounded the 'theory' of Demeter and Persephone" as an explanation for the seasons: it was just a story, incorporating cultural icons (the gods) as characters in an imaginative tale. Sure, some people believed it; some others probably tried to "debunk" the myth. But they'd all have been missing the point.

As I see it, it's the same today. There are the rabid believers in the factual truth of ghost stories or alien abductions, and the (pardon me) equally rabid rationalists trying to "de-mythologize" everything. I myself enjoy a good tall tale - and while a part of me knows paranormal accounts to be false, a greater part of me just doesn't care.

I'm reading a bit between the lines here, but I disagree when you say paranormal stories aren't an attempt at science/rationalisation. I think some of them are an attempt to rationalise the unknown. Sleep paralysis is a good example in that people have traditionally sought to rationalise it as paranormal with the New Guinean being my favourite. You also have my neighbour who's rationalised the voices in his head into demons.

I don't think sceptics on the whole object to a good story; Their beef is specifically with those taking and/or pushing said stories as fact (possible government cover-up included). It can be difficult not to become defensive when berated for your supposed close-minded ignorance. One thing that cemented my more aggressive scepticism is how a number of people I know were talked off their medication in favour of alternative treatments and subsequently ended up in hospital. Stories can have a negative impact if not challenged and put in perspective.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2014, 08:37:34 pm »

I was referring more so to things like Law enforcement personnel killing the people they're supposed to protect and things like that.

Your still taking something that most humans consider abhorrent and assuming aliens think similarly with no evidence or explanation beyond the fact that most humans consider it abhorrent. i.e. your still assuming that aliens think similarly to us.

For all we know, the alien species might be some sort of strange dictatorship that consider this behaviour "normal" for all we know.

Hell, it may even be a common way in the grand scheme of things for a species to achieve the technology required to make contact with alien species. As horrible as it sounds, simply being abhorrent doesn't make it not true.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2014, 08:53:56 pm »

snip
To be honest, my post was only tangentially related to the topic - in fact it belongs more to a historical-literary discussion. Sorry. But while we're at it...

Stories can have a negative impact if not challenged and put in perspective.
I wouldn't say "challenged," perhaps "understood correctly." Taking the unsubstantiated or deliberately fictitious as true is indeed dangerous.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2014, 09:02:29 pm »

The people who believe in the paranormal don't see them as fiction. That is why disproving them is necessary.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Epichighfive321

• Bay Watcher
  • What?! I've never even heard of 4chan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2014, 09:08:16 pm »

There is no reason to believe aliens know what law enforcement is or that they even know that the people are dying. They may not bleed blood or have skin. Maybe they don't even think, but it's something else.
Insert something that would make you think I'm clever here
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7