Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 193

Author Topic: Banter Thread  (Read 365496 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Banter Thread: Has this really been a thing for four years edition
« Reply #2340 on: December 16, 2020, 03:45:25 pm »

Hahaha, Day 1 of Kingmaker 4 is still hilarious. I love Jim's and Leafsnail's posts in that.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: December 17, 2020, 07:01:07 pm »

Gnosia came out on Vita in 2019 and got a Switch port earlier this year. It's only in Japanese but I definitely want to try when it eventually gets translated...
*One week later*

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1338903062690353156

I swear I'm not psychic. I'll post my thoughts about it once I get my hands on it next year.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: December 17, 2020, 09:18:55 pm »

Hahaha, Day 1 of Kingmaker 4 is still hilarious. I love Jim's and Leafsnail's posts in that.

I read that game and a bunch of other ones recently. I had forgotten how mad that game made me. I think it precipitated me getting more involved in the Beginner's Mafias, and browsing through BM XXI, yes it did.

Is this the revival of mafia?

EDIT:
Also, another game recommendation for mafia fans:
Your Turn To Die

Not complete but what's there is really good.

This was quite enjoyable. Thank you for the recommendation.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: December 18, 2020, 12:46:37 am »

Your Turn To Die
Not complete but what's there is really good.
This was quite enjoyable. Thank you for the recommendation.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the rest of Chapter 3.

Possible Game Idea (I've made some adjustments from the actual main game):
Spoiler: Your Turn To Die Mafia (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 12:49:24 am by ToonyMan »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: December 18, 2020, 07:13:56 am »

Interesting. I'd expect everyone to claim keymaster or sacrifice immediately, since the only way to win (without that "final four" rule) is to lynch a non-sacrifice, non-keymaster and hope you become the sacrifice the next day. It's like a reverse King of the Mafia. Jester of the Mafia?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: December 18, 2020, 12:00:11 pm »

Interesting. I'd expect everyone to claim keymaster or sacrifice immediately, since the only way to win (without that "final four" rule) is to lynch a non-sacrifice, non-keymaster and hope you become the sacrifice the next day. It's like a reverse King of the Mafia. Jester of the Mafia?
But doesn't that mean that claiming neither of those is also a valid method to get lynched as the Sacrifice? There's a bit of play here, but it seems like a Mountainous with a bit of a twist.

The issue I see is that the Sacrifice is favored to win on Day 1 by virtue of have two votes to use on themselves, and everyone else is more or less equally spreading votes.

To avoid that, people need to do 2 weird things.
ALL players need to pretend to be the Sage and "claim" a Keymaster. From those that aren't chosen during that, they need to try and determine a non-Sacrifice. It's like a weird reversal on Mafia.

The other problem is that the game is about playing to not lose, even as the Sacrifice. There needs to be a wincon for players to accomplish at the same time, or the optimal strategy is... lurking!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: December 18, 2020, 12:28:52 pm »

Hello everyone!  I'm back from my long break from the DF forums in general, I guess.  I had pretty much run out of some combination of time/enthusiasm to post, but Wuba convinced me to get in on BYOR15.  (I had missed the PMs about Bastanormal 3; whoopsie!)

Life for me is mostly the same, except for the Obvious Reasons going around now.  Get your vaccine as soon as it's offered to whatever group of people you're in. (healthcare, old person, general public, what have you.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: December 18, 2020, 01:17:06 pm »

Life for me is mostly the same, except for the Obvious Reasons going around now.  Get your vaccine as soon as it's offered to whatever group of people you're in. (healthcare, old person, general public, what have you.)
Agreed. My friend is a nurse, and so is my sister, and they've had to work with generally shitty situations this year. Kinda depressing what they've had to deal with, and luckily neither of them haven't gotten Covid yet. Get your flu shot, too, if you're able to. ...I should probably schedule mine.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: December 18, 2020, 02:12:02 pm »

But doesn't that mean that claiming neither of those is also a valid method to get lynched as the Sacrifice? There's a bit of play here, but it seems like a Mountainous with a bit of a twist.
Perhaps, but if you make yourself look like you don't want to self-preserve, people will peg you as the sacrifice...which would actually be beneficial for a non-sacrifice.

I wouldn't compare it to mountainous, when the primary antagonist is a jester-equivalent.

The issue I see is that the Sacrifice is favored to win on Day 1 by virtue of have two votes to use on themselves, and everyone else is more or less equally spreading votes.
Huh, I misread and inserted a "not" in being allowed to self-vote. Why would the sacrifice vote for anyone but themselves, when they die anyway at the end of the day and have no teammates that would benefit from the deception?

ALL players need to pretend to be the Sage and "claim" a Keymaster. From those that aren't chosen during that, they need to try and determine a non-Sacrifice. It's like a weird reversal on Mafia.
But how does one decide whom to claim as the keymaster? The best strategy for that play would be to claim sage and claim that the sacrifice (whom you've figured out through daygame) is the keymaster. There's no guarantee, however, that none of the players not "chosen" as keymaster is the sacrifice (though in this play the real sage can safely claim).

The other problem is that the game is about playing to not lose, even as the Sacrifice. There needs to be a wincon for players to accomplish at the same time, or the optimal strategy is... lurking!
Lurking gives control of the game to others, who aren't going to play for your benefit. To win the game, you must first self-preserve, second lynch a non-keymaster, non-sacrifice. The second part is hard if you rely only on luck and the first part is hard if you rely on other players who, again, aren't your teammates.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: December 18, 2020, 02:57:46 pm »

Something I forgot to mention because I haven't read YTTD in awhile, but votes are anonymous. This means that on Day 1 more than likely two or more people will be tied with two votes. Players selected to be voted in the second vote phase also aren't allowed to vote, it's the remaining players that do it I believe. And yeah I don't see any reason for the Sacrifice not to vote themselves. The events that go down in the actual story I think are really neat and I wouldn't want to spoil that, and there's stuff that happens between the main games of course so I'd probably want to add more ways to make it interesting.

Possible Variant Ideas to make it more interesting for real players:
1. Add in a mafia team that aren't assigned roles? Or maybe they can too? Not sure how that would work since every other player is basically a survivor or jester.
2. Add in a night phase that allows players to screw with each other, for example, maybe have a thief or trickster that can steal roles and/or swap them with other players? The players targeted wouldn't know where their role ended up, or who had the role they were given. This would also allow other players to lie about what they did at night.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: December 29, 2020, 05:07:32 pm »

It looks like The Moonlit Shadow's posts in Mafia Marathon are all gone? Did something happen?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: December 29, 2020, 05:33:31 pm »

Looks like a nuking to me, as their user profile is also gone. It's a thing the Toad can do. Generally only to obvious spambots, but regular users can self-request it as well.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: December 29, 2020, 05:38:07 pm »

Mafia Marathon

Holy shit you guys played a game of mafia for a year? That's nuts.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: December 29, 2020, 05:38:42 pm »

Insanity.  Insanity, I tell you.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: December 29, 2020, 07:13:06 pm »

And I won!

Well.

Hector13 and I won, and he was the best player in that game - winning was based on a points mechanic where you gained one or more points each time you won a round, and could 'forfeit' your points for a meta bonus. Hector13 forfeited all the time. I never did. In the end we had the same number of points.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 193