Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 193

Author Topic: Banter Thread  (Read 365135 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Banter Thread: Has this really been a thing for four years edition
« Reply #2400 on: December 31, 2020, 05:00:27 pm »

I'd love to do some setup design with you for Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2 (which would then let Meph be an IC if he wanted, heh).
It's a long-term project, but it's certainly something I would enjoy doing. A method to generate entirely random setups as well as modify the power levels accordingly would be a great way to introduce some newer players to the game, if they love the power-heavy shenanigans without having to totally ruin the Day game. I think a Day game is something of a necessity if players are going to play here long term, but maybe there are some players that want to only play those Beginner games. I think that should not be discouraged, unless those players take the spots of other players that would like to become more permanent residents (which I honestly do not expect to be a problem ever.)

The only major issue is that assholery is subjective.
That is why we should have a discussion about it, and that's something I want everyone to be in more or less agreement on. For me, I am not really for derogatory treatment of others. But, I know I have expected results from players that did not want to produce them, and to me, that did not feel like an issue, but perhaps to them, it was senseless. I think that might negatively impact a game, because it's a mismatched idea of assholery.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: December 31, 2020, 05:37:32 pm »

I'd love to do some setup design with you for Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2 (which would then let Meph be an IC if he wanted, heh).
It's a long-term project, but it's certainly something I would enjoy doing. A method to generate entirely random setups as well as modify the power levels accordingly would be a great way to introduce some newer players to the game, if they love the power-heavy shenanigans without having to totally ruin the Day game. I think a Day game is something of a necessity if players are going to play here long term, but maybe there are some players that want to only play those Beginner games. I think that should not be discouraged, unless those players take the spots of other players that would like to become more permanent residents (which I honestly do not expect to be a problem ever.)
You should look over Shakerag's Power Hungry Mafia games as a starting point. I believe he had a computerized role generation tool.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: December 31, 2020, 09:52:54 pm »

'Hostile culture' doesn't bother me, so long as it's clear that its inside the game. You're calling me a lead lickin' luddite lackwit to get into my head and make me mess up, and the annoyance from that is part of the fun.

I like the complex setups that are a horrible, wonderful mess.

Being expected to be dedicated enough to spend hours a day analyzing posts turns me away. I sometimes want to come back and be inexperienced enough to play a beginners mafia despite the boring setup, not because of the boring setup, because it's easier and I wouldn't feel like I should be on the level of analyzing old games from several people, without the time or knowledge to do so.

I think the easiest "hey new people, come play mafia!" event would be smaller BYORs with 24-48 hour days, oriented to people who either don't know how to properly read people, or don't want to be dedicated to trying to figure out the difference between town!Toony and scum!Toony. There could be debriefings afterwards from ICs telling people how they can do better, and players can graduate into longer games when they have a handle on things and want more time for analysis.

Mamobo running games would help here.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Banter Thread
« Reply #2403 on: January 19, 2021, 10:38:08 am »

I should read the previous Vengeful Mafia for some insight. That would be Vengeful Mafia 11 in 2016.

It ran for two months.

How...why...why...

EDIT:
roo has been prodded.
OSG has been prodded.
Everyone has been prodded.
Everyone has been prodded again!
I just prodded EP.
Idea: If everyone agrees, how about a one week limit for finishing the game?  If nobody is lynched by that point, everyone loses.
Everyone has been prodded again.

Vengeful Mafia 11: Everyone Has Been Prodded Again
Vengeful Mafia 11: You Can (Not) Prod Enough
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 12:37:23 pm by ToonyMan »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: January 19, 2021, 11:02:21 am »

Haha looking at it, Jack made the mistake of having it be on hammers only. Without a deadline the lack of urgency meant the players could log a post or two every few days, drawing it out long past anyone's capacity to care.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: January 19, 2021, 02:45:39 pm »

Friendly reminder that mafia is an evil, evil game. Fun, but evil (even without it being a bastard-mod or such).
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: January 22, 2021, 05:40:48 pm »

I suppose I want to share this since I've been here for a little bit and have no desire to post anywhere but the Mafia subboard. I also have zero social media presence and much prefer smaller communities such as niche game forums.

My last mafia game before coming back recently was Meph's THE SYSTEM semi-bastard in Fall 2015. After dying in that game I just completely stopped posted in the Mafia subboard. I think there's two main reasons:

1. I was currently finishing my undergraduate studies and was pretty busy.
2. I had been playing mafia actively here since Summer 2009 (fun fact: Paranormal 6 was the first game of mafia I was ever in that finished), that's over 6 years and probably close to 100 games.

Afterwards I graduated in 2016 and promptly went into graduate school because I had nothing better to do. I'm still technically in graduate school until I decide to leave, but it's not really costing me anything and I'm in a good position at this point.

While not playing mafia I started entering local tournaments in my area for fun and to have something to do socially during the week.

Mainly I played Project M, but I also entered 64 and random stuff.

I won a Windjammers tournament in 2016 which is probably the most popular video I'll ever be in.
And I was still playing Smash Bros until literally everything got cancelled in 2020. There was some netplay stuff going on but I'm not really interested in just playing someone through a screen.

I'm strongly tempted to ask Toady to change my handle to just "Toony" but I don't know. I don't think it'd confuse anyone...

Friendly reminder that mafia is an evil, evil game.
It sure is. I also think mafia helped me through high school.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: January 22, 2021, 06:10:16 pm »

I joined the forum when I was... what, 15? I'm not totally sure. I found the mafia boards cool, but I wasn't all that good at it back then. Playing or modding. Currently? I'm 21.

... oh fuck I'm 21, when did that happen.

In any case, if anyone notices that I'm playing or running better games now than when I was in my teens, that's probably the reason, heh.
Generic Arms Race.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: January 22, 2021, 06:23:51 pm »

I joined in 2015, though I can’t find my first game... probably a good thing since I panicked and was a D1 lynch.

I rather enjoyed it at first but now I’m a known quantity it is less enjoyable. I can’t seem to get the motivation to do quite as much analysis as these boards require a lot of the time, and my town game does not in any capacity gel well with playing as scum.

Or I just really suck as scum.

I also become a really horrible person when I get too invested in mafia, and I don’t like that.

... oh fuck I'm 21, when did that happen.

lol

I started playing when I was... 29? 28.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: January 22, 2021, 06:46:07 pm »

That's some rad game moves you got there Toony. I only ever got halfway good at playing Jigglypuff in Smash, nowhere near your level.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: January 22, 2021, 08:53:06 pm »

What even is there outside of this haven we call the Mafia subforum? Uncharted seas! The edge of the world! It's dangerous out there!

I apparently joined in 2008... Looks like that's my first year of college. Huh, I was probably really bored, and I know I was trying to play DF on a broken down old laptop that couldn't handle anything. My first game of Mafia was Pirate Mafia, which is the third oldest game on this subforum, neat. You got all the old favorites, like Pandarsenic, Cheeetar..., uh...inaluct... and... Frelock? Kashyyk? Damn it, there's like nobody around since then.

I mean, honestly, having something to do is kinda nice. I've been stuck at home for almost a year doing nothing, so showing up here and playing some games is a lot of fun. It's neat, because you can see me metamorphose from young wide-eyed nihilist to paranoid trauma survivor to super cool awesome dude. Like its own living diary. And here I thought I'd never be able to keep a journal.

Oh what wandering ways we walk. I can never come up with a good hobby to fill my time because it'd involve dedicating myself to something. Too many ideas in my head, and too little space on the medium for them to fit.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: January 22, 2021, 09:39:21 pm »

When do you become super awesome dude?

Oh wait did you mean- oh. Never mind.

;D
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: January 22, 2021, 09:43:04 pm »

When do you become super awesome dude?

Oh wait did you mean- oh. Never mind.

;D
That's a good point. I suppose I've always been a super awesome dude.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: January 22, 2021, 10:29:18 pm »

I'd been doing Mafia games over on the Sluggy Freelance boards for years before I found dwarf fortress. Which I think was about 2007 or 8. I'm pretty sure I was one of the first people to do mafia games on these boards, back before we even had the sub forum for it and we were just part of the main forum games section.

I've been here a long, long time apparently. Which is cool. It's nice to have some comfort zones in life.

Hey, Toony, what are you getting your degree in?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: January 22, 2021, 11:12:02 pm »

And I was still playing Smash Bros

my homie ToonyMan here complains about not being the protagonist and here he is maining the player 2 character

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 11:22:07 pm by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 193