Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 193

Author Topic: Banter Thread  (Read 359685 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Banter Thread
« Reply #2415 on: January 23, 2021, 01:47:29 am »

Hey, Toony, what are you getting your degree in?
Electrical Engineering. My undergraduate degree was in EE and also in graduate school I'm doing EE with a focus in electronics and power systems. My new job is power related. No it's not at a power plant, but you could say it's my fault if you lose power in New England.

my homie ToonyMan here complains about not being the protagonist and here he is maining the player 2 character
I've brought this on myself haven't I?

I can't resist though, I've always liked playing as Luigi.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: January 23, 2021, 06:36:19 am »

I've been here awhile and remember surprisingly little about mafia before last... October? Jeez. But my memory is basically a busted sieve so don't take it personally.

Bay12 has always been a friendly little corner of the internet to escape to. Probably why I keep coming back to play even though I'm persistently awful.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: January 23, 2021, 11:19:30 am »

... oh fuck I'm 21, when did that happen.

I'm less than a month away from hitting the big four-oh.  Get used to that feeling.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: January 25, 2021, 10:59:38 am »

So out of curiosity, how hard is it to run a mafia game? I've got this set-up I've been interested in running for a while, but I have no idea how to do things like create a quicktopic. I also don't know what kind of details I should include in an OP.

I wanted to discuss things with someone rather than get blindsided by some important thing I forgot to consider. I can imagine there being a ton of rookie mistakes a first-time moderator could do and I'd like to avoid them if I could.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: January 25, 2021, 11:16:34 am »

So out of curiosity, how hard is it to run a mafia game? I've got this set-up I've been interested in running for a while, but I have no idea how to do things like create a quicktopic. I also don't know what kind of details I should include in an OP.

I wanted to discuss things with someone rather than get blindsided by some important thing I forgot to consider. I can imagine there being a ton of rookie mistakes a first-time moderator could do and I'd like to avoid them if I could.
Fairly easy, depending on the setup. Is it closed or open (are roles known or hidden?)

Making a QT is very easy. The hard part is running the game, flavor, mechanics, etc.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: January 25, 2021, 11:35:01 am »

Roles are definitely hidden, but I’m still debating whether I should reveal or hide the number of mafia. It’s a meme game with an unconventional number. To be honest, I’d like to talk the details over with someone in private to make sure the whole thing is balanced. But that means they wouldn’t be allowed to play.

I guess I can figure out the QT with google, but what are common pitfalls that you see? I’m not too worried about my ability to write flavour.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: January 25, 2021, 11:43:55 am »

Roles are definitely hidden, but I’m still debating whether I should reveal or hide the number of mafia. It’s a meme game with an unconventional number. To be honest, I’d like to talk the details over with someone in private to make sure the whole thing is balanced. But that means they wouldn’t be allowed to play.

I guess I can figure out the QT with google, but what are common pitfalls that you see? I’m not too worried about my ability to write flavour.
You can send it to me or ask Meph. Meph has helped balance a lot, and doesn't typically play. I am also okay with sitting out for a game.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: January 25, 2021, 12:12:47 pm »

I'll probably ask Meph then. If this setup has any merit, then I believe it's one that veterans like you will appreciate. Do you think it's okay if I just PM him out of the blue, or do you think I should wait for him to respond in this thread and express interest in helping me first?

I'm sure he reads this thing after all.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: January 25, 2021, 12:21:34 pm »

Go ahead and PM me the set up and I'll look it over.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Banter Thread: Has this really been a thing for four years edition
« Reply #2424 on: January 25, 2021, 12:25:03 pm »

I accidentally opened bay12 forums from my browser bar, so I decided to hop in and read a bit. :)

Just random thoughts. I might join a game sometime after "the crazy period".  ;D

Mafia Marathon

Holy shit you guys played a game of mafia for a year? That's nuts.

Not the first time that's happened. Though, it was technically played for a few months...

Along those lines, it would be really good to be more thoughtful about how to maintain our player base and improve board culture. What do we need that we don't have? How do we take care of everyone?

I'm aware that some players are just here to play a game and aren't really concerned with the culture, but we are in a social situation, and as such a social contract exists. What is the nature of that contract?

We could definitely do something like run a game in 72 hours over a long weekend; like a BM style setup, where each Day is, well, one day. It'd take some mucking about to make it work with timezones, and we probably couldn't do much by way of flavor.
You are right. That's part of the reason I started working on Mamobo. It could let us add more people and run quicker games that didn't rely on advanced mechanics to run (though, it could actually be possible eventually, if I got really bored)! It would be pretty flavorless, but they would at least allow for faster paced games.

Heyyy I was working on a mafia bot. Except I wanted it to handle BYOR style stuff too. I made an "engine" already twice or thrice, but each time I returned I realized I had done it all wrong, and the code sucked. :P

A method to generate entirely random setups as well as modify the power levels accordingly would be a great way to introduce some newer players to the game, if they love the power-heavy shenanigans without having to totally ruin the Day game.

I had a concept for that. Except balancing would be a nightmare due to nonlinear interactions...

---

I think that I have definitely had a bit of a negative impact on this culture before this, so I kinda want to fix that. Mamobo seems like a really fun and cool way to do this, and I hope I'm getting to be a cool player and fix those early mistakes I made around here. Like, early me is kind of a giant toxic cesspool. Actually, not kind of. I think I got a lot of free passes because I was good at the game.

I... don't believe that should be the case anymore.

I felt this in my bones. I think I started when you were already just the cool guy, but I was more or less a teenager and, thus, asshole, back then too. :D

---

Regarding why people leave/go on breaks... for me, it's just been other things. I got a lot of work, university, marriage, moving... and lots of activities I want to do outside of work, too.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Banter Thread: Has this really been a thing for four years edition
« Reply #2425 on: January 25, 2021, 01:56:59 pm »

I accidentally opened bay12 forums from my browser bar, so I decided to hop in and read a bit. :)

Hey, I've just been thinking about you!! I'm so happy to see you. Congratulations on your marriage!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: January 25, 2021, 09:32:02 pm »

Hey TolyK.

Just random thoughts. I might join a game sometime after "the crazy period".  ;D
Cool. Bay12 will be known as a mafia forum by 2030.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: January 26, 2021, 10:24:39 am »

Congrats and hello TolyK!  Stick around and see what's going on.

I will also join on congrats as well, though we all know where your true love is...   :P
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: January 26, 2021, 11:41:08 am »

Magic Mafia was definitely a cool BYOR theme. If I ran another BYOR, I'd probably do that one.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: January 26, 2021, 11:44:01 am »

BYOR Mafia is always insane and fun. Maybe not for the GM who has to make and track everything.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 193