Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 193

Author Topic: Banter Thread  (Read 364254 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Banter Thread
« Reply #2760 on: May 11, 2021, 05:56:32 pm »

Go on....

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: May 11, 2021, 06:07:49 pm »

Go on....
Alright, so it involves murder...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: May 11, 2021, 06:09:16 pm »

feed me
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: May 12, 2021, 04:37:09 am »

There are several possibilities, we thought through two. They all require a lot of manual work... OR an automatic mafia engine.  8)

Quote from: Version 1 - Soft Time Travel
Players can post and submit actions at any time for any phase (even when technically dead). Voting can only happen for that particular day.
The standard limit for actions still applies, though: you have a limit of 1 action (excluding free actions) per phase.

Whenever actions are submitted, the engine re-runs all the actions in the new history (just once).
Actions which don't work (e.g. due to dead source or dead target) are just ignored.
As soon as someone wins, the game is completed.

Quote from: Version 2 - Paradox Police
Players can submit particular actions that affect current, future or previous phases.

Whenever actions are submitted, the engine re-runs all actions in multiple iterations.
If you end up creating a paradox, it will start looping through these iterations.
If this is detected, the paradox police will wipe you from existence (e.g. murder you from before the game started) and the game will re-evaluate itself again. The murders will continue until timeline stability is achieved.

The game ends as soon as someone wins (or everyone gets murdered by the time cops).

There are probably other variants that can work, but these seem to be the most doable ones (version 1 is the easiest one to implement).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 04:52:11 am by TolyK »
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: May 12, 2021, 09:03:01 am »

I am sorry, but I like 2.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: May 12, 2021, 09:20:19 am »

2 sounds genuinely cool. What kind of paradoxes would you care about? I don’t think you need to worry about the grandfather paradox for example.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: May 12, 2021, 11:26:05 am »

I told you 2 would be popular. Everyone wants to cause paradox murders.

My idea is like so.

Example:
A on N2 kills C on N3.
B does nothing but exist for no real reason.
D on N2 protects C on N3, saving them.

C on N4 then goes back in time and kills D on N1. This causes a ripple effect where C and D dies and revives over and over as the timeline tries to resolve. So, TP show up and throw C is Time Jail for Excessive Paradoxes, removing them from spacetime.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: May 12, 2021, 01:53:50 pm »

Okay, that make sense. That literally is grandfather paradox, but I understand why it's necessary. When do you think the game will be up?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: May 12, 2021, 02:03:39 pm »

... There are two answers I can give, and none that will satisfy.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: May 12, 2021, 03:10:35 pm »

My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: May 12, 2021, 03:25:06 pm »

Is this tied to your bot project?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: May 12, 2021, 05:12:26 pm »

EDIT: No, not the bot thing, but the game engine thing. I mixed those up in my head.

Not inherently, because you could theoretically work out everything by hand... but practically, yes, because it's a PITA to work out everything by hand. Meanwhile it's a different PITA to make an engine, but you can re-use the engine. ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 05:16:27 pm by TolyK »
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: May 19, 2021, 03:18:35 pm »

I think Toaster needs at least one more player for Roguelike Mafia. Should be a blast.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: May 19, 2021, 06:32:45 pm »

I think Toaster needs at least one more player for Roguelike Mafia. Should be a blast.
I can join if it doesn't start soon.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: May 19, 2021, 06:33:54 pm »

Unless we don't hit minimum for a while, I'd say Monday at absolute latest for a start (barring player requests to wait longer.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 193