Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 152

Author Topic: Banter Thread: Has this really been a thing for four years edition  (Read 167080 times)

Vector

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Banter and out of game questions: NQT has begin a mysterious construction
« Reply #945 on: September 19, 2014, 11:49:21 am »

.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:15:52 pm by Vector »
Logged

Shakerag

  • Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Banter and out of game questions: NQT has begin a mysterious construction
« Reply #946 on: September 19, 2014, 12:12:05 pm »

studying for the Math GRE
Wait, there's a math GRE?  I thought there was only one generalized test ... I didn't do to bad on the quantitative section, but an entire math GRE?  I shudder at the thought.
Logged
Your nerd cred is unparalleled.

Quote from: Dr. Thomas Szasz
Thatís what psychiatry is: politics and economics. Behavior control, it is not science, it is not medicine.

"The Government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion" - President John Adams

notquitethere

  • Bay Watcher
  • Freelance Forum Dweller
    • View Profile
Re: Banter and out of game questions: NQT has begin a mysterious construction
« Reply #947 on: September 22, 2014, 11:28:39 am »

Good news everybody! I was fired today (uh, my job role was 'restructured') and so from next week on I'll be dedicating a bit more time to the single player mafia-like game. I'll be redrawing up the design doc and considering what to bring forward from the existing prototype; any feature requests while I'm still at the starting stage?

The game as it stands is roughly based on Choose-Your-Own-Mafia, allowing the player to build starting powers to begin with, with AI creating builds based on their alignment and play-style. The play-style AI is going to be the most challenging aspect to implement, but I've got a fair idea of how it's going to work. It's all going to be text-based, but I might consider adding portraits for the different AI personalities. I'll keep y'all posted about it.
Logged

mastahcheese

  • Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Banter and out of game questions: NQT has begin a mysterious construction
« Reply #948 on: September 22, 2014, 11:34:30 am »

Getting fired doesn't sound like good news... o_o

Good luck, NQT.
Logged
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

TolyK

  • Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Banter and out of game questions: NQT has begin a mysterious construction
« Reply #949 on: September 22, 2014, 11:40:27 am »

Fired? XD

But that's good news to the mafia.
Logged
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

notquitethere

  • Bay Watcher
  • Freelance Forum Dweller
    • View Profile
Re: Banter and out of game questions: NQT has begin a mysterious construction
« Reply #950 on: September 22, 2014, 12:31:00 pm »

Eh, having the money was useful but I've got way better things to be doing with my time than employment.
Logged

flabort

  • Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich
    • View Profile
Re: Banter and out of game questions: NQT has begin a mysterious construction
« Reply #951 on: September 22, 2014, 07:50:47 pm »

As long as you can keep on living and having internet, being fired is OK. I want to quit my job, but I... can't, I have no spine and no immediate plans; and my position is not one that CAN be "restructured", unfortunately (Everything but management and baking in a Tim Hortons run by Chartwells; "General Help" is my title).

Feature Requests? LAN multiplayer :P. Variable Game sizes - as small as 4 AI, up to 63 AI (5-64 players in single player) 8). AI's who have hybrid play-styles, where they have a 40% chance of basing their decisions based on a Puzzle Solver playstyle and a 60% of using their Interrogator playstyle  :). Rare "Named" AI players, they have a distinct playstyle quirk and a ramped difficulty compared to generic AIs of their playstyle  :o. A cheater AI play-style that starts with a more powerful build, but is A) rare and B) not that skilled at USING it's powers or scumhunting  8).
Logged
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TolyK

  • Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Banter and out of game questions: NQT has begin a mysterious construction
« Reply #952 on: September 22, 2014, 11:18:51 pm »

... AI isn't easy to make. Especially considering that they won't be able to chat unless you have a pretty good algorithm for making sensible speech...
Logged
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

notquitethere

  • Bay Watcher
  • Freelance Forum Dweller
    • View Profile
Re: Banter and out of game questions: NQT has begin a mysterious construction
« Reply #953 on: September 23, 2014, 02:35:59 am »

Yeah at the moment I'm thinking that the game will proceed in chunks. In each chunk, everyone submits a public statement (like an accusation, or a statement of general cluelessness, a claim, or just something conversational), may vote for someone, and may take an action (if they have actions left). Chunks are all processed simultaneously, so player order shouldn't have an effect. You wouldn't be able to chat to the AI per se, but they would respond to your votes and public statements from previous chunks. The text of the public statements would each follow one of several templates with many randomised elements (perhaps depending on personality but that depends how much work I want to make for myself.)

In my very first prototype, you could always tell who the killer was because they were the only person not to vote anyone for a round, hence the current chunk based plan.
Logged

Gentlefish

  • Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Banter and out of game questions: NQT has begin a mysterious construction
« Reply #954 on: October 01, 2014, 11:45:42 pm »

Man. Mafia's some tense shit. That BM XLIX is crazy.

Of course this means I have to sign up for the next one.

Tiruin

  • Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Banter and out of game questions: NQT has begin a mysterious construction
« Reply #955 on: October 02, 2014, 12:17:35 am »

Man. Mafia's some tense shit. That BM XLIX is crazy.

Of course this means I have to sign up for the next one.
It's rather what you do, than what is. >_>
Logged
Even though accounts vary, everyone has a legendary story to tell.

The Writer's Apprenticeship - A thread dedicated to literary art!

Tales of Shattered Dreams - My RTD, a continuous work in progress.

ToonyMan

  • Bay Watcher
  • having a bad vibration
    • View Profile
Re: Banter and out of game questions: NQT has begin a mysterious construction
« Reply #956 on: October 08, 2014, 10:30:17 am »

I've been busy since 7 weeks ago when the semester started. I don't think I'll be able to play any games for a few months at least...
Logged

webadict

  • Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Banter and out of game questions: NQT has begin a mysterious construction
« Reply #957 on: October 08, 2014, 08:21:03 pm »

I've been busy since 7 weeks ago when the semester started. I don't think I'll be able to play any games for a few months at least...
Okay, Pandarsenic, how many midterms this time?
Logged

ToonyMan

  • Bay Watcher
  • having a bad vibration
    • View Profile
Re: Banter and out of game questions: NQT has begin a mysterious construction
« Reply #958 on: October 08, 2014, 10:04:36 pm »

I've been busy since 7 weeks ago when the semester started. I don't think I'll be able to play any games for a few months at least...
Okay, Pandarsenic, how many midterms this time?
About 10? I've had 3 now.

HE WASN'T JOKING
Logged

4maskwolf

  • Bay Watcher
  • The Mafia Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Banter and out of game questions: NQT has begin a mysterious construction
« Reply #959 on: October 08, 2014, 10:07:41 pm »

Lolz.

That awkward moment when you turn out to be on team evil all along, despite your entire logic for being on the town's side being that such a thing was preposterous because of balance.

Also, WTF BROTHER-ALLY!
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 152