Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 193

Author Topic: Banter Thread  (Read 359596 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Banter and out of game questions thread
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2014, 10:02:02 am »

Hahahaha those things are amazing.
I once fought a gang of asian mobsters Jackie Chan style.
You have the most badass dreams, my good sir.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2014, 10:03:11 am »

I had one where I was riding with my aunt down an empty highway, when our tire popped and coleslaw came out.  The fire department came by and took us down a manhole.  The tunnel down had a window facing into an underground apartment, where a small dog was barking at me.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2014, 10:13:14 am »

Ridiculuous much :P
I also had instances of my dreams outright trolling me. After ending an exhausting dream that night went like this:
*wake up* What day is it? -Monday -AAAAAHHHH
*wake up again* What day is it? -Friday -AAAAAHHHHH
*wake up yet again* What day is it? -Saturday -Yessss *back to sleep*

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2014, 10:30:14 am »

I think last semester was the first time I was unable to make decent posts because of real life stuff.  Same is true for this semester.

I'm an adult. :(

Okay, if you're more curious.  I currently have 86 credits out of 126 credits to graduate with an Electrical Engineering Bachelor of Science in Engineering, probably easier to call it a BSE in Electrical Engineering.  I'm not one of you programming gurus so I'm more adept in working with hardware circuity and all that jazz.  But basically, it's pretty time-consuming.  It can be kind of hard too, but I can't say I've been truly challenged yet, or at least, I've been able to overcome any problems that come my way.  I got a New England Scholar award this Tuesday after all, as in, my grade average last year was an A- out of nine classes.  I was 1 of 180 School of Engineering students to receive that award, and there's over 2,000 SoE students.  Ideally, this makes me look pretty good.

A second thing this semester that's eating a crazy amount of time, is the Nuclear Officer program I started.  It should cool off after this semester finishes, but there's a crazy amount of paper work to fill out.  Basically, the US Navy pays me a ton of money every month (around $5,000) while I'm a student, and then when I graduate I would go to Officer Candidate School and get commissioned as an Ensign and serve for about 5 years (including a year and a half of training).  I think it's a great leadership opportunity and it would be ridiculously easy to find a job after my active-duty.  Worse come to worse, the USN would pay for my Master's Degree as well, so I could just go to graduate school somewhere and get my MS in something.  Yeah.

My Spring Break starts next week, but I'm pretty swamped with work.  It's nice to have a sense of fulfillment though...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2014, 12:14:44 pm »

Or you can stay in 20 years for the retirement benefits.  Guy I work with did just that; now he gets his military retirement pay and his current job's salary.  With your then credentials (especially if you pick up the masters) you could pretty much pick any job you wanted.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2014, 07:09:45 pm »

One of my uncles did that.  He retired as a Lieutenant and now lives in Tennessee.  Probably almost half of my Aunts and Uncles (including my Dad) were in the Navy so it's not exactly a lonely business.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2014, 07:10:46 pm »

My family also has a tradition of serving in the Navy.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2014, 06:26:35 pm »

Something interesting I've noticed, followed by a question to those whom it pertains: The veteran players (and by veteran I mean they've been here for at least two or three years) seem to, for the most part, only join games run by other veterans.  I have a theory as to why this is true, but I'd like to hear the reasons of some of the veterans before I draw a firm opinion.

I'm not passing judgement, I'm merely making an observation.  Feel free to tell me it is total bs.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2014, 07:59:35 pm »

There's an element of truth in that, but I'd sub out "by other veterans" and replace "by people we trust" to make it more accurate.  Most of the longer-term players here have been in a failed game, and it's frustrating.

Personally, I'm keeping my game load down, so I'm picking and choosing.  If I join a Meph, Webadict, or Vector game, I know what I'm getting in to.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2014, 08:29:26 pm »

Fair enough.  My only counterpoint was that it is hard to know who's games to trust if you never try them.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2014, 08:56:21 pm »

Siding with Toaster's 'in people we trust' note. It's not that we play in other veteran's games, it's that we play in trusted people's games.

I mean, I was about to join Fearful Jesuit's game but then he closed it. :<

I think last semester was the first time I was unable to make decent posts because of real life stuff.  Same is true for this semester.

I'm an adult. :(

Okay, if you're more curious.  I currently have 86 credits out of 126 credits to graduate with an Electrical Engineering Bachelor of Science in Engineering, probably easier to call it a BSE in Electrical Engineering.  I'm not one of you programming gurus so I'm more adept in working with hardware circuity and all that jazz.  But basically, it's pretty time-consuming.  It can be kind of hard too, but I can't say I've been truly challenged yet, or at least, I've been able to overcome any problems that come my way.  I got a New England Scholar award this Tuesday after all, as in, my grade average last year was an A- out of nine classes.  I was 1 of 180 School of Engineering students to receive that award, and there's over 2,000 SoE students.  Ideally, this makes me look pretty good.

A second thing this semester that's eating a crazy amount of time, is the Nuclear Officer program I started.  It should cool off after this semester finishes, but there's a crazy amount of paper work to fill out.  Basically, the US Navy pays me a ton of money every month (around $5,000) while I'm a student, and then when I graduate I would go to Officer Candidate School and get commissioned as an Ensign and serve for about 5 years (including a year and a half of training).  I think it's a great leadership opportunity and it would be ridiculously easy to find a job after my active-duty.  Worse come to worse, the USN would pay for my Master's Degree as well, so I could just go to graduate school somewhere and get my MS in something.  Yeah.

My Spring Break starts next week, but I'm pretty swamped with work.  It's nice to have a sense of fulfillment though...
Toony! :D

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2014, 09:14:20 pm »

Siding with Toaster's 'in people we trust' note. It's not that we play in other veteran's games, it's that we play in trusted people's games.

I mean, I was about to join Fearful Jesuit's game but then he closed it. :<
Well, I thank you for joining my game, even though I realized halfway through it was complete rubbish.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2014, 10:09:47 pm »

The veteran players (and by veteran I mean they've been here for at least two or three years) seem to, for the most part, only join games run by other veterans.

For me, it's because I historically want to play games run by my friends.  For stress-relief.  And also, because I tend to like bastard mods and BYORs and whatever.

Vector game, I know what I'm getting in to.

imperishable night

Seriously, this fucking game.  I've complained about it a lot of places, but I keep on thinking I've got the night processed and then I find some other thing I have to email Webadict about and then there's other urgent real-life shit I have to do and then there's blah blah blah blah blah GRRRRRRRRRRRRNGH

*settles down and opens PMs again*
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2014, 10:11:34 pm »

You can do it, Vector. Nerjin is doing the sole-mod thing :D

And webadict is being stubborn about his honor. >_> But anyways.

imperishable night

Seriously, this fucking game.  I've complained about it a lot of places, but I keep on thinking I've got the night processed and then I find some other thing I have to email Webadict about and then there's other urgent real-life shit I have to do and then there's blah blah blah blah blah GRRRRRRRRRRRRNGH

*settles down and opens PMs again*
Go, Vector, go!! :D

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2014, 10:15:55 pm »

Hey, does anybody know if Caz is okay?  She's been gone for a while...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 193