Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 193

Author Topic: Banter Thread  (Read 363988 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Banter and out of game questions: First time mafia stories
« Reply #645 on: May 24, 2014, 11:27:10 am »

No, not what to send a player and announce it :P I've already done that once this game.
How to find a player itself. My replacee has gone three phases without a replacer to take his place, I need to find someone to be the replacer.
Modkill. Typically, replacements are hard to come by. I found it was just easier to modkill anyone that needs a replacement.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 26, 2014, 06:52:59 pm »

So, hey. Back to mafia. I know I said I'd be back only at the end of the year, but things tend to become a lot less hectic when you stop caring too much about real life problems you can't solve. I'll be a bit free-er after next week, so I shot a PM to MOWE so I can replace in the BM and get up to speed with the game again.

Hopefuly this time I'll give this game the dedication it deserves.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 27, 2014, 06:37:06 pm »

How to find a player itself. My replacee has gone three phases without a replacer to take his place, I need to find someone to be the replacer.
We had a replacements needed/openings thread at one point, possibly in the parent forum.
One of the unfortunate things about joining the forum when I did is that many of the old guard faded from the forum just before or just after, and I never got to play with them...
Org's still here. :P (Remember the PWV play?...which game was that, again?)

So, if we could have an all-star Mafia game*, who would be in what positions? Webadict as scum, Pandarsenic as SK, Toony as Jester...

* (yes,I know, obviously cannot as it provides too much meta-information in the selection process)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 27, 2014, 07:04:14 pm »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:12:33 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 27, 2014, 07:20:01 pm »

Oh yeah I remember this thread being set up.
I only ever played that one BM game that I did (45 I think. The terminator one). While it was enjoyable, it was also a lot more intense and consuming even during times when I wasn't on the forums than I think is a good idea to be doing when I have other things that need to be done.
So I don't think I will be touching Mafia again for a while.

Thinly veiled PTW
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 02, 2014, 07:28:18 am »

Prince of the Mafia has one slot open if anyone's interested.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 04, 2014, 02:04:40 pm »

Heyo. Finals are done, I have returned.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 04, 2014, 03:43:05 pm »

HEYOOOOOOOO
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 09, 2014, 05:04:31 am »

So gang, I'm currently writing a single-player text-based mafialike videogame based on a nightless version of Choose-Your-Own-Mafia. The intention is, when the game starts the AI characters will be assigned random play-styles which will affect how they play. I was wondering if you could give me characterisations of typically playstyles we encounter playing mafia?

Basically how it will work is that the AI town players will have hidden criteria for judging another players suspicious, and the scum players will have criteria for judging players as dangerous. They'll also have a logic for judging the believability of any role-claim. At least, that's the plan unless I find it too difficult to implement. Each turn in the game, players (PC and the NPC) can vote another player, make a claim, use a power, buy-sell powers, or just chat to one another (learning vague flavour hints relating to AI play-styles). Maybe there'll be other features (I'll be building this iteratively).

So here are some possible playstyles I can think of to get us started:

Hyper-Tunneler: they pick one target at the beginning of the game and try to get them killed before moving on to the next target.

Flailing Newb: Will only place OMGUS votes, will use role powers at random.

Detective: Will try to logically deduce role powers

Flawed Detective: Will try to logically deduce role powers but makes frequent errors

Sheep: Will more or less arbitrarily choose someone to trust at the beginning and then follow their judgements throughout the game

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 09, 2014, 07:42:00 am »

Aggressor: Attempts to find scum by aggressively attacking someone to gauge their reactions. Uses powers to for the greatest personal gain, and to take out its suspects.

Attacker Attacker: Goes after people who go on the offensive with weak cases. Will often use powers to check out the "considered town" players.

Daredevil: Does something that looks scummy to provoke scum into attacking him.

Lurker: Will rarely post unless a certain number of votes has been given to them. Will use role powers, but will not have the most up to date information.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 09, 2014, 01:42:03 pm »

Inactive: Does nothing.

Scum attacker: Will try to get players mislynched.

Scum detective: Tries to guess power roles and then kill them.

Scum lurker: Picks people at random to kill and barely says anything.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 09, 2014, 02:04:07 pm »

Bandwagoner: Will vote for players receiving several other votes.

Survivalist: Plays in a style similar to as many fellow players as possible, to blend in.  Uses powers primarily to defend self.

Day 1 Hater: Will do as little as possible Day 1.  A second playstyle will apply Days 2 and on.

Newbie, Still Learning Scumtells: Will play according to another playstyle, but search only for scumtells from the BM list.  Given reasons for attacks will consist of the target having done scumtells (with the names of the scumtells given), which makes them scum.

Puzzle Solver: Will focus on trying to get as much role and power information as possible from the other players, and determining the scum from that.  Uses powers primarily to gain more information.

Non-Questioner: Will answer questions, but quite rarely ask them.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 02:25:22 pm by Jack A T »
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 09, 2014, 05:28:36 pm »

I'm a Survivalist/Puzzle Solver, I guess.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: June 09, 2014, 08:37:58 pm »

Jester: Whether or not actually a jester, meets a large number of the scum tells.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 09, 2014, 08:40:24 pm »

Empiricist: Exclusively uses voting patterns to find scum.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 193