Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 193

Author Topic: Banter Thread  (Read 365474 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Banter Thread
« Reply #2430 on: January 26, 2021, 11:59:37 am »

Running one is daunting, especially when trying to come up with 12+ interesting, engaging, and balanced roles from scratch, essentially.  I learned some things about balance from Bring Your Own Picture.  Also holy crap there were 18 players in that game?   I had forgotten it got that big.

Edit:  OH MY GOD THAT WAS NINE YEARS AGO
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 12:03:44 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: January 26, 2021, 12:14:55 pm »

Running one is daunting, especially when trying to come up with 12+ interesting, engaging, and balanced roles from scratch, essentially.  I learned some things about balance from Bring Your Own Picture.  Also holy crap there were 18 players in that game?   I had forgotten it got that big.

Neko Death Knight.. Picture is dead though. And web is mafia apparently. And Dark Link is here.

Honestly BYOP sounds interesting.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: January 26, 2021, 12:53:14 pm »

Yeah, ideas can always be a hassle. I just steal all of mine from other people.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: January 26, 2021, 01:02:43 pm »

Heh. I've tried a bunch of different set-ups over the years, but never actually tried to run a BYOR. Mostly, I think, because we always have so many people willing to run them. I don't like to steal other people's thunder, and I usually have enough other ideas for things I can run if I'm in the mood for something different that's not a standard Paranormal/Supernatural.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: January 26, 2021, 02:06:09 pm »

Neko Death Knight.. Picture is dead though. And web is mafia apparently. And Dark Link is here.

Honestly BYOP sounds interesting.

Good thing I saved all the pictures locally just in case!

Like I said in the postgame, making roles consistent with a night action, an auto, and a stronger one shot sounds good on paper, but is harder to balance and make interesting in theory, and some roles suffered because of it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: January 26, 2021, 02:13:01 pm »

That's basically the design philosophy of Planeswalkers in MTG. It's the DKF theory of design, and you just pointed out it's biggest flaws.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: January 26, 2021, 02:25:32 pm »

What's the DFK theory of design?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: January 26, 2021, 02:29:19 pm »

In a sign of changing times, BYOP had 18 players and BYOR15 had 16 players; only one player (Jim) played in both games.  (Granted Web and I each modded one and played the other, but that's still saying something of the player drift.)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: January 26, 2021, 02:50:17 pm »

What's the DFK theory of design?
Draw Kill Fuck. Planeswalkers have an ability that does each of those, but typically, there is a cheap ability that draws or small value advantage, an expensive ability that kills something, keeping the planeswalker protected, and a super expensive ability that fucks your opponent and you basically win. Similar to an Auto, an Action, and a One-Shot. But since Planeswalkers have varying abilities, you get thing that change it around because, well, DKF is boringly linear. Gotta get new ideas. Like, what if Kill is the cheap one and Draw the expensive one? Or what if Fuck is the cheap one? Sounds dumb, but... Well... It happens.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: January 26, 2021, 03:13:43 pm »

In a sign of changing times, BYOP had 18 players and BYOR15 had 16 players; only one player (Jim) played in both games.  (Granted Web and I each modded one and played the other, but that's still saying something of the player drift.)

A part of me wonders how compatible mafia is with things like adult life and a career. Ideally, you'd put in quite a heavy amount of time into mafia. I'm a lonely college student so I can do that, but can you do this while raising a family or having a marriage? I wonder if TolyK has any thoughts on that?

If such were the case, it would be inevitable for a new generation to take over.

*snip*

Thanks. One alternative is giving a card the ability to do multiple draws or kills, and forgo the fuck entirely. Maybe give a card and anti-fuck, or an anti draw or kill?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: January 26, 2021, 03:57:54 pm »

A part of me wonders how compatible mafia is with things like adult life and a career. Ideally, you'd put in quite a heavy amount of time into mafia. I'm a lonely college student so I can do that, but can you do this while raising a family or having a marriage? I wonder if TolyK has any thoughts on that?

Honestly, this is like, my one hobby. If I ever get imprisoned for some reason I am sure that I will try to convince people to play mafia. There are no better games than this. The game of Kingmakers.

If other people get to watch football or do bookclubs or saturday brunch or religion, then I get to play Mafia. That's my bottom line.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: January 26, 2021, 04:10:25 pm »

Everything's compatible with adult life. That's the real secret.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: January 26, 2021, 04:18:54 pm »

It's possible, certainly, but having any sort of daily time segmented away for the game helps maintain it.  There was a reason I ran my phase end processing at 11 PM; I could pretty much be guaranteed free time around then.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: January 29, 2021, 12:55:37 pm »

Bit of a weird thing, but does anyone want to join me on another mafia site for a hot seat game? Basically, it's a Vanilla++ 48/24 setup where every "player" is a team of several players who rotate which player is active each day.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: January 29, 2021, 01:03:46 pm »

Bit of a weird thing, but does anyone want to join me on another mafia site for a hot seat game? Basically, it's a Vanilla++ 48/24 setup where every "player" is a team of several players who rotate which player is active each day.

Sure, if we get another player or two for a team?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 193