Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 193

Author Topic: Banter Thread  (Read 365616 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Banter Thread
« Reply #2730 on: May 06, 2021, 01:48:59 am »

We should each program a bot and have the bots play against each other in a game of mafia.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: May 06, 2021, 03:09:17 am »

Ooh I like that idea...

I actually started learning python but the only project I've used it for was a Discord chat bot (to come full circle on this).

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: May 06, 2021, 07:34:55 am »

We should each program a bot and have the bots play against each other in a game of mafia.

YES.

Fuck.

I am so pissed that it's taking forever to move.

However, I got sick, so that means I have time off work...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: May 06, 2021, 08:39:59 am »

The mafia subforums have a population of literally 90% CS majors or formerly CS majors, huh? (It's not like I'm outside that category)

Master's degree in CS here, yup.

Also, I can't remember if I mentioned this but apparently we just got the ability to run python on our mainframe.  I might have to look into it now.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: May 06, 2021, 09:07:06 am »

If we're making bots, we need rules, like what setup gets used, what phrases are allowed, etc.

See, this is actually very doable:
We choose a few different open setups, and work from there. The bots do all the logic of trying to find the Mafiabots, and we can test to see how it works. For good measure, program several styles of default bots, like random, tunneler, busser, bandwagoner.

By limiting the phrases, they can more easily interact, and the open setup lets them understand roles and how to utilize them.

Doable.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: May 06, 2021, 09:22:32 am »

Apparently I'm one of the few non-CS people here. Although I did some CS-adjacent things.

I imagine its not just Mafia, but also this being bay12 being responsible for the preponderance of CS majors.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: May 06, 2021, 09:59:55 am »

Technically, I'm Information Systems rather than CS. But it's related. I'm just more on the Database side of things most of the time.

And, yeah, I'd be down.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: May 06, 2021, 10:11:47 am »

I'm Mathematics, but I programmed a lot on my calculator in middle and high school. I actually made a program and put it on all the school calculators that solved every problem they would have for that year. I also wrote a program while taking a test thar solved all the problems for said test. I'm basically honorary CompSci.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: May 06, 2021, 11:42:12 am »

That sounds super awesome.

Where do you guys think we'd run it? I imagine it should be somewhere that lets bots post really fast so that games can finish quickly. Bay12 and Quicktopic both have an anti-spam feature, though.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: May 06, 2021, 11:48:37 am »

Could do Discord. Bots can post a few times a second

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: May 06, 2021, 12:32:12 pm »

Making Discord bots is dead straightforward too. I think I could definitely program a bandwagonner bot...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: May 06, 2021, 12:58:56 pm »

I haven't tried programming for discord yet, but it sounds like a fun little project.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: May 06, 2021, 01:15:17 pm »

I agree that this sounds awesome. I won't be participating since I'm a true-blue mathematician :P, but I will definitely watch.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: May 06, 2021, 01:57:41 pm »

I am not a Computer Science or Mathematics major.  I am however a bot, so I shall participate as myself.  :P

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 193